After a year i finally have to reinstall skyrim.

Gagoloth

Look into MO for Skyrim. If you can learn it and have a bit of patience. You won't have to reinstall Skyirim a year from now and can have more than 255 mods installed.. (not active of course) Just click down the selected mods you want for that profile ( yes different profiles. Get board change then come back when you desire to play that character again.. my favorite part of MO)

Look into MO for Skyrim. If you can learn it and have a bit of patience. You won't have to reinstall Skyirim a year from now and can have more than 255 mods installed.. (not active of course) Just click down the selected mods you want for that profile ( yes different profiles. Get board change then come back when you desire to play that character again.. my favorite part of MO)

iv been using MO for about six months now. I actually had 254 active mods running. 

Well if MO was installed on a clean system then just unclick the Mods. If it is freshing the main folder etc you can delete whatever you feel is needed and verify cache and then refresh the files like SKSE and any bat files you created and have a system as good as new. Now if you installed over an already used Skyrim (NMM etc) then you can still clean up the system and keep your files nice and safe. Move MO out (if it is in Skyrim) and delete what is needed. for the most part it is only .txt files and folders. The main game folders are easy to tell but an any case it is trivial to reinstall Skyrim to get a nice clean base now, provided you have all the nice mods you need installed in MO ;) If not take a few minutes and transfer the last of the mods over to MO. Test to be sure it works and then Nuke Skyrim.

Every once in a while I go through and delete the .txt files and such (old bat files and such ) along with the Skse and TESedit just to get fresh copies. I am too use to having to reload my games to do otherwise. :)

You know what, quite a bit of people say "You shouldn't be using like 300 mods for skyrim, that's too many!" but I say to them, NEH!! There are a lot of talented people out in the skyrim community and there are so many freakingly good mod. More than half of mine adds to immersion alone. I haven't tried MO yet, and likely never will because let's be honest, going through and re-installing each mod would be awful. But I hear a lot of good things about it. So if you're starting fresh again, MO would likely be ideal based on what people say.

It's funny when you go over your limit and start seeing weird stuff in the game like no-level load, or missing bodies etc... But it's not a sign to start over, it just means you need to merge some mods together. :)

I religiously stick to 190 esps and never go beyond, over the years that's proven to be a sweet spot for my setup. I do a lot of merging to keep it there,and If I see a new mod I want to try and it can't be merged, I look for something I can cull first.  I also never run any two mods that are functionally the same. I won't even run a werewolf and a vampire overhaul together, I'll set up an MO profile specifically for whatever I have planned for my character. 

Some folks go way over, and there's a mod on Nexus that allows you to run a bunch of weather and audio mods together, basically a whole lot of manual tess5 merges in a patch plugin. I gave it a go and immediately felt it put my game on a knife edge, the modding equivalent of a game of Jenga. No way I was going to commit a whole playthrough to it.

But that's just me. Far too many abandoned characters that were victims of my kid in a sweetshop tendencies. Keep a tight ship. 

Archived