Halp with starting "The wolf queen awakened" artificially

xTrogdorx

So for this playthrough, I was bored of the midgame - the early 'hard part' of the game was over, I had more gold than I could ever need, and I was just doing stupid things like legendary-ing my skill trees and pickpocketing trainers for gold. So I figured I'd just use the console and a txt file to powerlevel myself to level 250, which left me with almost every perk (there were two I didn't want anyway), and nice, even numbers for my level, health, stamina, and magicka pools. (I've a bit of OCD that way)

Now, many hours of gameplay later, I come to solitude and find that I can't naturally start "The Wolf Queen Awakened" because a prerequisite of that quest is to level up - which I could do, but that would muck up my nice, even numbers (boo hoo, I know :P) It seems that there is no way to start the quest naturally otherwise - pickpocketing the Letter from Falk Firebeard and reading it won't start the quest, it seems the only way is to have the courier deliver it.

I suppose I could start the quest unnaturally with the console, but I think then I'd miss out on some dialogue - the first valid quest stage UESP lists is 50: "Falk has sent me to Styrr to get the key to Potema's Catacombs."

Is there any way I can use the console to force the courier to deliver the letter so that the quest starts naturally?

Well, I'm not sure about forcing the courier to deliver the letters, but if you're worried about messing up your even numbers, you could just use the console to set them properly.

For example, if you've got like 500 in each stat, and you don't want an irritating 510 hanging around (I have the same issue, so I understand), you could just setav stat 500 after advancing a level... and setlevel 250 so you don't have a 251 either. You'll still get an extra perk, but it's not as if you have to spend it...

which left me with almost every perk (there were two I didn't want anyway)

Can I guess that one of them is the Bullseye perk from the archery tree? That one always is extremely irritating for me... the paralysis acts as a spell effect that triggers before the arrow hits, meaning the target falls down and the arrow doesn't actually strike. So I waste an arrow, alert the target (and any nearby), and often he falls into a position that makes him hard to shoot again immediately...

There are several perks I just don't care about, and a couple I actively dislike, but really the Bullseye perk is my worst one.

Well, I'm not sure about forcing the courier to deliver the letters, but if you're worried about messing up your even numbers, you could just use the console to set them properly.

For example, if you've got like 500 in each stat, and you don't want an irritating 510 hanging around (I have the same issue, so I understand), you could just setav stat 500 after advancing a level... and setlevel 250 so you don't have a 251 either. You'll still get an extra perk, but it's not as if you have to spend it...

Yeah, I don't know that there's a console command to remove extra perk points, and every time I looked at the perk tree I'd see that I had an available point to spend. Also I think setav/forceav/modav make your health/magic/stamina bars red or green to indicate that something is influencing your stats away from what they should be.

which left me with almost every perk (there were two I didn't want anyway)

Can I guess that one of them is the Bullseye perk from the archery tree? That one always is extremely irritating for me... the paralysis acts as a spell effect that triggers before the arrow hits, meaning the target falls down and the arrow doesn't actually strike. So I waste an arrow, alert the target (and any nearby), and often he falls into a position that makes him hard to shoot again immediately...

There are several perks I just don't care about, and a couple I actively dislike, but really the Bullseye perk is my worst one.

Actually I made a personal custom spell/perk/magic effect mod that, among many other things, makes Bullseye have a chance to disarm instead of paralyze for that exact reason. Fuck that vanilla perk xP

But no, the two I didn't want were Wax Key (Stupid perk. Picking locks grants skill xp, why would you want a key for a lock that would otherwise give you skill xp each time you pick it? It just clutters your inventory for no good reason and if you want to be able to pick those locks again, now you have to deal with all these keys you're accumulating)

And Keymaster (for the same reason - keys are stupid)

Yeah, I don't know that there's a console command to remove extra perk points, and every time I looked at the perk tree I'd see that I had an available point to spend. Also I think setav/forceav/modav make your health/magic/stamina bars red or green to indicate that something is influencing your stats away from what they should be.

I think that forceav and modav do that, modifying the "current" amount, but setav modifies the "base" amount and thus does not. I could be wrong, though... but I've used setav many times and it never seemed to do it, for the stat bars or skill levels.

Also, I had another thought... if you don't want unspent perks, you could just do "player.removeperk perkid#" and then spend the perk point to get it back. There are a few perks where that's a bad idea, I believe (I think the magic resistance perks in the alteration tree keep the effect permanently, but I'm again not certain), but in general the player.removeperk and addperk work fine

Archived