[SOLVED] SmallerTalk does not display NPC parts

I have been working on this for awhile now, looking for conflicts and finally gave up. Problem is that even after an uninstall, delete everything and reload of just smallertalk it still doesn't work.

FNV version 1.4, NVSE for 1.4, FOMM, MCM 1.2, and smallertalk 1.2.3.

Load order:

FalloutNV.esm

The Mod Configuration Menu.esp

SmallerTalk.esp

NPC will not display the "What's up?" part or any other part, they just stand there. There is a time delay like the script is runnning, it just doesn't show up. PC parts/responses are normal.

Any ideas?

SOLUTION: TURN ON SUBTITLES

Hrm. I have had it occasionally do that but generally if I tried again it worked. I assume you are using the latest version.

I'm afraid I shall have to pass the buck to someone smarter then me. If you don't get more responses here try the Smallertalk thread I dunno if the developer of that mod looks here or not.

I am still in goodsprings on a new game. Tried talking to the guy in the garden (left from doc's place) and the guy at the bar in the saloon. They both stop what they are doing (raking or drinking) and the camera pulls them into view after the default 3 secs. They are just called Goodsprings Settler.

I just wanted to check it quickly so I have not really done anything in game.

Previous to this install I was talking to Eddie at NCRCF and had the same results, which prompted me to start removing mods. After they were all gone and I still couldn't get it to work, I deleted and reinstalled.

Perhaps the problem is more with my install or *.ini files than it is with smallertalk?

I am still in goodsprings on a new game. Tried talking to the guy in the garden (left from doc's place) and the guy at the bar in the saloon. They both stop what they are doing (raking or drinking) and the camera pulls them into view after the default 3 secs. They are just called Goodsprings Settler.

I just wanted to check it quickly so I have not really done anything in game.

Previous to this install I was talking to Eddie at NCRCF and had the same results' date=' which prompted me to start removing mods. After they were all gone and I still couldn't get it to work, I deleted and reinstalled.

Perhaps the problem is more with my install or *.ini files than it is with smallertalk?

[/quote']

One thing you may want to try is open the console, click the NPC and type "inv". This will show what's in the inventory of the NPC. Look for SmallerTalkDialogueToken and SmallerTalkResetAIToken. Once you have the ID's for those from that list do a (with the NPC still clicked so their name and ID appear at the top of your screen):

removeitem xxxxxxxx 1
;replace the x's above with the ID of each token

until they have neither of those tokens left. Once you've done that, open your MCM screen, go to SmallerTalk, then click Defaults at the bottom right, exit MCM, save. Leave game. Start game again, load save, open MCM screen, set your SmallerTalk options as you want them. Try again and see what happens.

Another option is to create a clean save without SmallerTalk in your load order then put it back in and try again. If none of this works then you most certainly have another mod interfering with how SmallerTalk works. I interact with those Goodsprings Settlers all the time with SmallerTalk without any problems (usually to bum a smoke).

Thank you for taking time to help. :)

Checking the inv of the npc revealed no SmallerTalkDialogueToken, there is a SmallerTalkResetAIToken present just after starting the conversation.

Removing the resetAI didn't change the current conversation and it was right back again as soon as I pressed E.

Looks like the dialogue token is not being given to the npc.

Clean save did not correct the situation.

The game is stripped down to MCM and SmallerTalk, I really have no idea what could be interferring with it. FNV or MCM wrong version?

Load order:

FalloutNV.esm

The Mod Configuration Menu.esp

SmallerTalk.esp

Kartek

Have you tried going into MCM and clicking defaults to reset the MCM values? It sounds to me like something might be disabled. If you're waiting until after they approach you, the dialogue token has already removed itself. You have to check their inventory right after hitting the e key and before they initiate the approach to see it.

If MCM is what's broken, try the following:

set xx0035dd.iInit to 0

With xx being the load order of SmallerTalk. That will force SmallerTalk to restore itself to default configuration. Or you can do the following:

set xx0035dd.iVariable1 to 1 
;0=mod disabled, 1=mod enabled, default=1
set xx0035dd.iVariable2 to 0 
;1 = debug messages shown, 0 = debug messages hidden, default = 0
set xx0035dd.iVariable3 to 0 
;creature support enabled or disabled, default = 0
set xx0035dd.iVariable4 to 1 
;conversation enabled or disabled while sneaking, default = 1
set xx0035dd.iVariable5 to 3 
;timer in seconds 1 to 10, default = 3
set xx0035dd.iVariable6 to 1 
;companion wheel override, 0=no smaller talk convo after wheel use, 1 = smaller talk convo after wheel use, default = 1

If you've installed a UI mod or re-installed a UI mod recently, you may have broken MCM.

I hate to admit such a stupid mistake. :( ugg.

The solution to the npc part of conversation not displaying is tied to the subtitle setting of the game. TURN ON SUBTITLES. :D LOL!

I reloaded ...again and didn't bother with settings this time so the subtitle was on by default and it started working. Magic!

Thanks to all for the help. I honestly did not believe that smallertalk was at fault since so many others have it working and the fact that I had no other mods installed.

I hate to admit such a stupid mistake. :( ugg.

The solution to the npc part of conversation not displaying is tied to the subtitle setting of the game. TURN ON SUBTITLES. :D LOL!

I reloaded ...again and didn't bother with settings this time so the subtitle was on by default and it started working. Magic!

Thanks to all for the help. I honestly did not believe that smallertalk was at fault since so many others have it working and the fact that I had no other mods installed.

Oh snap! lol, good catch even if it made ya feel silly hehe.

Archived