Modding for Noobs : want to fix an Eye texture error

Niggabanana

So... this is my first time fixing things that supposed not to be fiddled with specially with a nitwit with only coding in his head. But here is the scenario, i downloaded a Japanese Mod from a some hipster site you probably know and installed in into the my game. As i played it i always notice the eye texture of the custom companion the mod installed. the eye texture is misaligned through the side of the eyes making the cornea look like a moon in a eclipse. i only have GECK, CS6 and nifskope to begin with, planning on getting 3dsmax, but i wanna know what other software cou'd be use to solve this issue?

Well here's the image sample:

f0opp1.jpg

This is most likely one of two problems:

If the mesh for the eyes are the vanilla meshes, the DDS texture file should resemble this image:

post-2911-0-49826100-1418140676_thumb.jpg

If it doesn't resemble that image in dimensions and the locations of iris, etc.... it isn't the correct image for the mesh. (UV Map)

OR

If the eye meshes are custom, it's likely that you're using a vanilla texture mapped to the vanilla eye mesh. Check and see if the mod included custom textures for that eye mesh and use them.

I had this issue when I was combining races into the file I use for my comic's npcs.  It's not necessarily quite as simple as mesh/texture mismatch, it might be an issue with the race itself in GECK.  

It is likely due to both custom meshes and textures, but in order for it to work you have to make sure not only that they're mapped correctly, but also that the race has the custom eyes available to choose from in the race attributes menu.  

Went to look at my file, turns out I still had a broken race myself so I could show you.

With no eyes available, the game turns to default.
noeyes_zps2973e8fd.jpg

and with eye selections dropped in.
eyes_zpsc5d5c526.jpg

I had this issue when I was combining races into the file I use for my comic's npcs.  It's not necessarily quite as simple as mesh/texture mismatch, it might be an issue with the race itself in GECK.  

It is likely due to both custom meshes and textures, but in order for it to work you have to make sure not only that they're mapped correctly, but also that the race has the custom eyes available to choose from in the race attributes menu.  

Went to look at my file, turns out I still had a broken race myself so I could show you.

With no eyes available, the game turns to default.

noeyes_zps2973e8fd.jpg

and with eye selections dropped in.

eyes_zpsc5d5c526.jpg

The eye textures is there as i open it, there's no missing items in the drop down box of the eye selection, dunno why it isn't applying to the race eyes

i3ujk4.jpg

If at all possible, references shouldn't start with numbers like 00. If they're o's don't worry about it, otherwise probably rename them.

Check the eye entries themselves to make sure the textures can actually be found. If they're in a BSA, may wanna extract them to see them in the GECK.

If at all possible, references shouldn't start with numbers like 00. If they're o's don't worry about it, otherwise probably rename them.

Check the eye entries themselves to make sure the textures can actually be found. If they're in a BSA, may wanna extract them to see them in the GECK.

there's no texture folder for the eyes of the custom race, looks likes it's in BSA.

Edit : extracted them in the BSA using GECK, there's the texture file for the eyes. set them in the right place and still GECK can't detec them automatically, i can see them though in the character tab under eyes.

This is most likely one of two problems:

If the mesh for the eyes are the vanilla meshes, the DDS texture file should resemble this image:

attachicon.gifeyedefault.jpg

If it doesn't resemble that image in dimensions and the locations of iris, etc.... it isn't the correct image for the mesh. (UV Map)

OR

If the eye meshes are custom, it's likely that you're using a vanilla texture mapped to the vanilla eye mesh. Check and see if the mod included custom textures for that eye mesh and use them.

Eye mesh aren't custom, only the texture

I had this problem after installing some new default eyes on the player.  I think they came from FCO.  Anyway, the problem was that I was also using the mojave delight body/race, which had it's own paths to it's own eyes.  My solution was to copy the new eye textures, rename them to the mojave delight texture names, overwrite the mojave delight eye textures (with the renamed new ones), and 'corner eyes' went away.

This sounds like a different issue, but the problem is the same.  Maybe this will give some clues.

EDIT: I think the eye is getting it's mesh from one place and it's texture from another.  The above is what I did to make them match.  At least that was my problem when I encountered 'corner eyes'.

I tested it by copying the vanilla eye mesh into the folder with the eye textures, then I changed the texture path to the dds files one at a time that were in the folder you uploaded. That picture was taken in nifskope.

did that also, but still no changes :(

I'll PM you the link of the mod to see if this also happens to others

Archived