Need help selecting a new AMD GPU!

Majuko

Hello LL citizens, I need help finding the perfect AMD GPU to upgrade my computer to. Currently I have a Amd HD 6400D which plays skyrim about 17-22 fps with drops down to 9 and 13 somtimes. Its kinda sticky and annoying sometimes but none the less its what I got to work with right now. 

I have a HP TouchSmart 520 all in one PC, i'm also wondering can these even be upgraded, and if so are their any limitations?

I won't tell you my budget as its subject to change but know I would like a good card with a nice boost from my 6400D card but still pretty cheap budget wise. Teach me about which slot compatibility I would need for it to work and such and such. All the info I would need to upgrade.

I don't mind buying one used from ebay and if you guys would like to sell me one from their that would be pretty awesome as you might give me a good deal. *Wink wink* 

Thank you LL

-Walks out-

AMD r9 270, 280 or 290. Pick one. The prices vary from $200-400, you get what you pay for. They should all be able to max out skyrim though... Anyways it's a good/bad time to buy a new card, since the new nvidia cards came out and there's been massive price drops for pretty much every card to compete with the nvidia 900 series cards (which kick ass btw), but it also means the card you're buying is now 1 gen older  :-/ 

You could also go cheaper and buy an AMD r7 series card, but I wouldn't recommend it

The best deal on the market right now is the Nvidia 970 imo, max out everything and save on electricity bills, but it is quite expensive at 350$

Hahaha Yes I have been playing skyrim with it. and if I can't that would really suck.... How would I find out if I can upgrade it properly?

I dont't currently have that much to spend on a card haha

I have most is 130$ I just want a boost from my 6400D card which is ages in the past.....

Thanks for first reply tho sir.

For now the only way to raise up the framerate is to lower the game's resolution (to say, 1280x720 or 1280x800), and then lowering some of the ENB quality settings (or use SweetFX altogether with the ICBINE preset), and never use high-resolution textures (anything over 2k).

My computer is way to bad to even use ENB, but I use Sweet Fx preset (Don't know the name its quite pretty) Imaginator and world lighting all together its like 2-4 FPS drop which is really good with what it does. It gets the lighting of an enb just missing that shine...Oh then I use Dynavision which is awesome. 

I have no Idea what my resolution is...I'll check that out tho. and I have no 2k textures and if I do its like an armor or something and not many.

EDIT: My current resolution is 1360x768, would it be worth making the jump to 1280x720 or nah? What kind of FPS increase am I looking at if I make the jump?

Guest Mogie56

I don't know who you would have the upgrade done by other then HP. They state that upgrades for that system can be made apon purchase. it has a MXM slot but cannot go past 35w.

Even if HP were to upgrade I doubt it would be worth your time.

My computer is way to bad to even use ENB, but I use Sweet Fx preset (Don't know the name its quite pretty) Imaginator and world lighting all together its like 2-4 FPS drop which is really good with what it does. It gets the lighting of an enb just missing that shine...Oh then I use Dynavision which is awesome. 

I have no Idea what my resolution is...I'll check that out tho. and I have no 2k textures and if I do its like an armor or something and not many.

EDIT: My current resolution is 1360x768, would it be worth making the jump to 1280x720 or nah? What kind of FPS increase am I looking at if I make the jump?

There shouldn't be a problem at 1280x720, but there are some performance-boosting mods that should help:

• Fences of Skyrim
  • One Mountain (tweaked rock and mountain meshes designed to use only one texture)
  • Bethesda Performance Textures

Also, on a very limited system, you have to choose which scripted mods you should actually use, instead of those that provide cosmetic effects (i.e. Realistic Blood, Frostfall, etc.)

I don't use any of those scripted mods and my games are very very tight. I've perfected this for months actually.

I use the one mountain mod, Ill pick up the fence mod. The bethseda performance textures....are those only for their HD dlc? If so I don't even have those.

I was wondering of what kinda boost I would get going to that resolution... Do you have just a guess before I switch?

(I really really appreciate your help Rayblue<3 Ty)

EDIT: WOW! Good call on that skyrim performance, Was reading a bit about it and wow nicely done. I basically get better performance and appearance thats an essential in my book. I still have so much to learn thanks alot man! Cheers!!

Archived