I really want to start making mods but having trouble installing CK

hiphoptron

So I had Skyrim for my PC but then my PC went to crap and I had to wipe it. I wasn't able to find my physical copy of Skyrim to reinstall so I just downloaded a torrent. I probably still have the hard copy somewhere in my house, so it might yet turn up someday.

Anyway, since I only ever played Skyrim, I never registered with steam. So my problem is that I can't download the CK through steam. Does anybody have any advice? I found a torrent for the 1.9.32 version of the CK but I don't know how to get everything working. In fact, I tried to install it before but got a bunch of errors (break operations) crashed my laptop requiring a hard reset. My theory is that it happened because of all the mods I was running.

Does anybody else have experience with this sort of thing and is able to help me? If I can get the Skyrim CK up and running I'll happily build a small-scale mod for whoever helps me out. It'llbe good practice for me, and content for you! And I promise it will be high-quality :)

Download a valid version from Skyrim, which should be no problem at all as long as you own a valid version of it (on Steam). That is the only thing you can do and the only thing we on LL will help you to do, considering that a torrented version of Skyrim is a pirated one.

first off before anyone would get smart i do have official version of skyrim

But for the sake of translation of some mod i downloaded myself version of skyrim translated in my language - i bought myself and use english one. In my book its not a piracy if i have legal copy. I dont even use that translated one - all i needed was to know how they translated names of various things as plenty of these got translated in a way that is ... hard to guess.

To topic. You can apply CK into such skyrim. DL it, put it into game folder (it wont run otherwise), most likely you would have to make some changes in skyrimeditor.ini file (because for example by default it does not allow to use more than one master file, to change that you need to edit ini).

Also ... unofficial CK can have a problem with some dlls. But i dont rly remember what was it as it was quite some time ago - but i solved it in 10 min with googling.

Hope i dont break any rules with this post...

if you cant load anything else than skyrim.esm then my first guess is "you would have to make some changes in skyrimeditor.ini file"

these lines in particular

bAllowMultipleMasterFiles=1

bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1
by default its either 0 or those lines are not there at all.

if your files got saved anywhere else than data folder then it is not as it should be but i have no idea why that happens - unless if for example ck tries to use steam folder or something.
Also for the sake of normal plugins save it as .esp not .esm.

if you cant load anything else than skyrim.esm then my first guess is "you would have to make some changes in skyrimeditor.ini file"

if your files got saved anywhere else than data folder then it is not as it should be but i have no idea why that happens - unless if for example ck tries to use steam folder or something.

I figured it out, my .esp was being saved as a compatibiltiy file. Not sure why, but copying it to the data directory seemed to solve the problem.

I'm working through the first quest tutorial on the wiki and it seems simple enough so far. Everyone who's posted, let me know what kind of small projects you think I should work on first!

Side question: As long as I use a separate save for testing my own mods, and uninstall them before I play on my main character, nothing bad should happen right? OR should I bite the bullet and finally transfer all my mods over to MO? (currently using NMM with LOOT and Wrye Bash)

oh and yeah it was saved as a ,esp that was a brain fart I had while typing. Sorry for the double post!

Side question: As long as I use a separate save for testing my own mods, and uninstall them before I play on my main character, nothing bad should happen right? OR should I bite the bullet and finally transfer all my mods over to MO? (currently using NMM with LOOT and Wrye Bash)

Noone would ever give you good answer to that as skyrim is sometimes unpredictable in these matters.

CK is sometimes unpredictable as well as i found out myself. Took me a week to handle unintentional changes it made without me knowing anything about them.

But no - your mod shouldn't ever affect saves that wasn't loaded with your mod on.

MO is i guess the best thing for mod testing as it keeps your game installation clean of unwanted files.

You don't have to transfer all files into MO if you don't want to. I use MO only for mod testing so i did not transfer anything into it.

Also if you intend on modding get familiar with TES5Edit tool. It would help you get rid of unintentional changes or those that happened when CK went wild.

Archived