Playing with a dark/gloomy ENB makes you feel gloomy as well?

lidowxxx

I am asking this because I change my ENBs quite often, whenever I switch to a gloomy ENB and play for an extended period of time, I feel a little depressed, especially when I am on a serious playthrough doing quests in large dungeons/caves, not just messing around doing nothing. Funny thing is when I have had my fill of bright days, rainbows and unicorns some ENBs give, I always go back to gritty somber looking ENBs, after I have had enough of the gloomy stuffs, I ended up going back to the "happy" ENBs, then the cycle starts all over again.

Examples of dark/gloomy ENBs:

Unreal Cinema ENB

The grim and somber ENBs

Examples of "Happy" ENBs:

HRK ENB two

Air ENB

So what's you guys opinions on this? Anyone has similar experience? What's your choice of ENB in terms of visual styles?

Hmm, I guess it's normal for a person to feel a little uncomfortable while playing over and over with those depressing enb profiles (more often if you are roleplaying) I've read in some forums about people feeling low simply because it rains a lot in the game, or because it's always snowing, etc. I can't say it's natural...but I can't say it's abnormal...not at all. As for me...I enjoy all those bleach/bizarre/nightmar-ish stuff - let's blame death metal- . Right now I'm in love with Sloth's preset "M" , and as you can see it takes away all the joy. In another session I'm using Aeon which I guess it's my happy choice.

:cool:

I think there's something to be said about it, the Demon Souls games depress the heck out of me, I come out of them almost feeling like I'm gasping for air. As good as those games are I find them very tiring after a while.

I think it's definitely a lot more to do with a subdued colour palette specifically rather than overall design - my first really obsessive RPG was  Ultima Underworld and despite it's setting it always struck me as a sort of underground wonderland. Likewise the Bioshock games - scary, doomy but tonally sumptuous and yummy to look at.

I have other issues with the more moody ENBs though, I feel they crush the life out of the whole environment rather than just those that match the tone, that's fine if I'm playing undead or a lich, not so much if I'm on a wood elf survivalist kick. 

I think there's something to be said about it, the Demon Souls games depress the heck out of me, I come out of them almost feeling like I'm gasping for air. As good as those games are I find them very tiring after a while.

I think it's definitely a lot more to do with a subdued colour palette specifically rather than overall design - my first really obsessive RPG was  Ultima Underworld and despite it's setting it always struck me as a sort of underground wonderland. Likewise the Bioshock games - scary, doomy but tonally sumptuous and yummy to look at.

I have other issues with the more moody ENBs though, I feel they crush the life out of the whole environment rather than just those that match the tone, that's fine if I'm playing undead or a lich, not so much if I'm on a wood elf survivalist kick. 

I actually like those ENBs.

I love the atmosphere of the Souls games, the dark, gloomy and hopeless feeling they convey while you wander the ruined remains of once glorious kingdoms, it fits perfectly with the games' lore.

The Elder Scrolls universe however isn't as dark as the Souls' ones so I can understand that those ENBs don't always fit with the original atmosphere of the game.

I don't think so, unless everything else such as the music or the landscape affects gameplay and mood. 

For example, despite being set out in the desert, some of the music in New Vegas has a bit of sadness injected, to convey the feeling that there's little hope left in the gameworld.

Archived