No BSDismemberSkinInstance in nif

JRHT

I'm editing a mesh from the Blackshop mod and I'm trying to change the bodyslot it uses.

I've changed the required items in the creation kit, but the .nif does not have a BSDismemberSkinInstance node in the mesh, so I can't find the BSDismemberBodyPartType values to change to match the .esp.

Does anyone know how I can overcome this?

Does it have "NiSkinInstance"?  If so, click Block -> Convert -> Bethesda -> BSDismemberSkinInstance

Then you can use the partition spell (not sure how to do that) or just load it into Outfit Studio to create the needed skin parttitions, then back into nifskope to set the value to the correct body slot.

If there is not "NiSkinInstance"... then I don't know what to do, sorry.

I'm editing a mesh from the Blackshop mod and I'm trying to change the bodyslot it uses.

I've changed the required items in the creation kit, but the .nif does not have a BSDismemberSkinInstance node in the mesh, so I can't find the BSDismemberBodyPartType values to change to match the .esp.

Does anyone know how I can overcome this?

Open the nif file in Nifskope, click on the mesh's BSDismemberSkinInstance, scrolls down in the block details till you see "partitions", click on the arrow (or triangle, w/e) next to it and change the "Body Part" value to whatever you set it to in the Creation Kit.

If it doesn't have a BSDismemberSkinInstance but a NiSkinInstance instead you don't need to change anything as meshes with NiSkinInstance will normally display on whatever slot you set them to in the CK.

If it has neither then you're out of luck I guess :-/

Guest LogicFoxX

Incase you don't know:

• 30 - head
  • 31 - hair
  • 32 - body (full)
  • 33 - hands
  • 34 - forearms
  • 35 - amulet
  • 36 - ring
  • 37 - feet
  • 38 - calves
  • 39 - shield
  • 40 - tail
  • 41 - long hair
  • 42 - circlet
  • 43 - ears
  • 50 - decapitated head
  • 51 - decapitate
  • 61 - FX01

• 44 - Used in bloodied dragon heads, so it is free for NPCs
    • 45 - Used in bloodied dragon wings, so it is free for NPCs
    • 47 - Used in bloodied dragon tails, so it is free for NPCs
    • 130 - Used in helmetts that conceal the whole head and neck inside
    • 131 - Used in open faced helmets\hoods (Also the nightingale hood)
    • 141 - Disables Hair Geometry like 131 and 31
    • 142 - Used in circlets
    • 143 - Disabled Ear geometry to prevent clipping issues?
    • 150 - The gore that covers a decapitated head neck
    • 230 - Neck, where 130 and this meets is the decapitation point of the neck

Pulled from :  http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Skyrim_bodyparts_number

As said above, try to use the BSDismemberment in nif first. I don't know what black shop is, but there are two things you usually do when trying to do a dismemberment. If it's a simple item, you can assign it to which slot the game uses it in the creation kit, but if which slot the nif is tied to..

If it were me, I'd just import it with either blender or 3ds max and export it with a dismemberment. In blender, you highlight all verts and set vertex group to BP_TORSO, or BP_HEAD or whatever. Then in nifskope, rename BP_TORSO to whatever body you are doing, in this case 32. In 3ds max, add a BS_Dismemberment modifier, highlight everything in red with select and assign it to Skyrim Body. Then Export, and with both programs follow the standard steps on editing the nif file after export. 

I can't model in 3d , or use the CK for anything more complicated than minor edits.

But I have opened a similar mesh that HAS a BSDismemberSkinInstance branch, and just copy branch, paste branch onto the first mesh's node.

I know it's a cludge, but it does work.

:s 

Guest LogicFoxX

Yep, that's how most do it, lol. But it's not bad to do it in ck. Lets say you want to change the slot for a cloak from neck to ears. Double click on the item. then click under the Biped Object which slot the game uses for this object. In 3ds max, all you do is download 3ds max, download the nif scripts and put them in the plugins folder under 3ds max. Open it up, import the nif with the settings for skyrim (easy to look up), click on the item in one of the 3 windows, (look up online how to add a modifier in 3ds max, very easy to do), add the BSdismememberment modifier, select everything, set as Skyrim Body in the panel below the modifier  to the right, export the nif. copy and past the old nif's BSlightingshader property to the new one, deleting the old first, and you are done. No pixar art degree required :)

But hey, if you can copy and paste, that's faster and the best way to do it!

Thanks everyone for your help!

I'm embarrassed to admit that I messed up some of the settings in the CK, which was causing the issues I had.

It seems that if there is no BSDismemberSkinInstance branch in the NIF, then it won't conflict with whatever body slot is selected in the CK.

Archived