Environment sound mod

feral

Well, not exactly an "environmental sound"... I'm wanting to create a mod from an idea that a friend of mine came up with, and the mod concept SHOULD have been easy to execute, but the GECK is proving it can make damn near every simple task a grand fuck of trial and error.

My goal is to get a sound to emit from an object or location that can be heard from a distance, and gets louder as you approach it's object or location in which the sound is being emitted. But I don't want it to loop indefinitely, I want it to play either at random or on a schedule. The general idea is to add some background detail to the game, and I think it's sort of brilliant in it's own right.

My friend made the statement that when he's playing New Vegas a certain BGM will play and it's like he can hear an air raid siren in the distance and he likes to pretent that it's a desolate location that's far off with a malfunctioning air raid siren system that's been on the fritz for 200 years.

I want to put that in game.

Well, I am going for it. But I'm stuck... I've got the sound file and got it added to GECK, the problem now is getting it into the world the way I want it in the world. I don't know shit for scripting... I'm looking for advice or instructions.

I can attach the sound to an object and place it in the world, where I want it. But it will continually loop and never stop... Thats not what I want to happen... A work around for this is that I could add a length of silence to the sound file, and if the game time and sound play time are un-related to each other I could get the "random" effect. But would i really want to add a length of silence to a sound file that's already 2 and a half minutes long? I don't know if that would negatively effect the game. But it could be worth a shot... But I also think it's a cheap work around.

I can set the start and end time in the sound's profile, but then it'll become a random background noise that'll be played everywhere the player is at.

So far I'm not getting anywhere, can get my sound to play but only at full volume, no fade as I approach or depart. Does anyone know how they get their radios to do this trick? Like in the prospector camps? If so, is there a way to increase their radius?

If that can be achieved I can just create a new radio station with an activator in my selected location.

Archived