Can I have multiple Wrye Bash builds at the same time?

movomo

Howdy, folks.

Ā 

I've been using Wrye v295 build. Then I've found that v295 face import is somehow bugged.

I only see error messages when I try to import a face to an empty plugin file. Seems like it doesn't work even if I try with a pure vanilla character in the starter dungeon (nothing but Oblivion.esm).

always the same error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bash\basher.pyo", line 12802, in Execute
  File "bash\bosh.pyo", line 13095, in save_getFace
  File "bash\bosh.pyo", line 13185, in save_getPlayerFace
  File "bash\bosh.pyo", line 13080, in save_getNamePos
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xa0 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)
So I want to have, if I can, an another version of Wrye that is known to be working fine.

Can I have multiple Wyre at the same time?>

Ā 

>summary

- I want to import face from my save files

- v295 doesn't seem to be working

- Can I have multiple installations of Wyre Bashes

- or suggested build to update?

Thanks for the input.

But what I want to do now is to install multiple Wrye's for one Oblivion, not multiple Oblivion install. I have no problems with multiple copies of Oblivions.

I wonder what happens if I install a new Wrye Bash. Whether I could switch between two Wrye Bashes or simpley new Wrye Bash would override the old one. Because I don't see anything that indicates the version number of the current Wyre Bash in the registry..

Ā 

Or better, any program that can successfully import facegen from a savefile to a plugin.

You may be able to have multiple, alternate versions of WB IF you have another drive or drives, physical or virtual present. I have never tried having multiple WBs on one drive. It may be set up in the install program to overwrite any instances it finds, no idea though since I've never tested that approach.

Ā 

Any program that can import facegen is still going to require a fairly plain vanilla savefile in order for it to work right; very few if any MODs. It, the savefile should IMO be limited to just the bare minimum that you intend on using with the MOD you are designing it for. I tested that years ago and your mileage will vary.

Do you want to run both versions on a regular basis or not?

If not, it's easy to swap versions by backing up your current v295 folders and then installing vxxx and then swapping back when done.

The caveat is that while I have done this many times with the traditionally installed Python Wrye Bash, I don't know how well this works with the assorted stand-alone versions available now, but might be worth a try.

No, I just want to swap to the non-bugged version only when I need to import faces. Otherwise I'm fine with v295.

Mine is a stand-alone, but yes it's worth a try. Hopefully I'll be fine with backing up the "Mopy" folder and other setting files needed.

Thanks everyone, I'll try.

Interesting! I'm going to have to try this for faceĀ  export/import then. That 160~170 number was how many MODs you have loaded that you exported the face from the save file? That's impressive as any other method I tried in the past seldom if ever worked with that many MODs loaded.

Archived