Exporting from 3dsMax 2012

hutch444

I've been having trouble with a mesh. I'm trying to edit the Apex Werewolf model by deleting that god awful beard, but once I export it to my data folder and try to load it in game the fur doesn't show, nor does any of the other textures like the eyes or anything. It's just like a gigantic black naked mess. Help!

I've been having trouble with a mesh. I'm trying to edit the Apex Werewolf model by deleting that god awful beard, but once I export it to my data folder and try to load it in game the fur doesn't show, nor does any of the other textures like the eyes or anything. It's just like a gigantic black naked mess. Help!

Hello hutch,

Please check your NiTriShape / BSLightingShaderProperty / BSShaderTextureSet / textures list. 3DS max plugin likes to screw that stuff sometimes.

Make sure you use a niftools shader in your material editor. They work pretty well, except for a few tweaks in nifskope. Highlight the BSLightingShaderProperty for each NiTriShape and make sure:

1. Alpha is 1
  2. UV Scale is 1 x 1
  3. Emissive Multiple is 1
  4. Glossiness is >0 (but I think this just affects the PS3 - not sure)
  5. Remove any Material nodes that Niftools added.

Also, make sure your texture files are DDS with mipmaps. There should be one texture and one normal map, with the naming convention filename.dds and filename_n.dds. Like moneta321 said, check the textures list and make sure the paths are right. It should be a relative path that looks something like "textures\myModFolder\myTexture.dds". It shouldn't have any drive letters like "c:\" or anything.

I hope that helps!

3DS' .nif plugin likes to screw up the BSLightingShaderProperty, just delete the ones from your mesh and copy over the ones from the original.

Oh and don't forget to set the "BS Num UV Sets" value under NiTriShapeData to 4097 and update Tangent Space on the mesh parts, otherwise the normal maps won't work.

Archived