Any developers out there?

LordZulten

Hey guys,

As some of you may or may not know, I run a development team that is working on a number of games. We are always seeking help and would love to give anyone who's passionate about gaming the chance to develop with us. We are using Unity 4.5.2 to develop, but professional is fine as well because we have the licensed version.

We have multiple projects active at the moment, such as:

• Medieval RTS-ish game
  • Mobile apps
  • Steampunk RPG-ish game
  • Robot MOBA that includes a storyline

Some things to put out there:

• Must be 18+ for clerical reasons
  • Must be on NDA and/or Contract (eventually)
  • Must use Licensed software, or software licensed under a free GPL.
  • Must not use any copyrighted material for work.

My Background:

I began as someone with limited experience, seeking the help of others. As time went on, I built up a pretty good team for MY project, and also met an awesome programmer with some projects of his own. It wasn't long that we decided it would be in our best interests to merge and manage all of our projects at once. I'd like to say we have about 20 people total, dispersed between the different projects. Most of them stick to one project but are aware of the others going on. Basically this is just to say that 20 people aren't working on all the projects, but maybe 4 on one project, 5 on another, etc. 

My strengths are managing the teams and developing the stories/GDD's for the games. When I can, I develop artwork (mostly 3D) as well. I am slowly learning programming, but I am lucky to have quite a few experienced programmers on the team. I am very organized and accommodate to many people located all over the world. I have several places to communicate, so that information is readily available for the team. If you are a beginner at your trade, I am more than willing to help you develop your skills and be a part of a successful team. I am very open-minded so it is possible that your ideas could deeply influence the games we create. We have had some games take a complete U-turn because of great input. So again, I welcome you to become a part of our team.

I have to say that my biggest weakness is experience. Although I have some pretty experienced guys here, this is still a day-by-day learning experience for me. I'm learning about the game market, how to keep a team together and going strong, what goes into a game, public relations, and many other things. I really don't believe in the "indie developer" title, though many would argue that is what we are. I see it as a stigma. I don't want people to look at us and think that we are just guys with a cool idea that will never get developed. We are a team of talented and motivated people with BIG ideas. I don't want to be a billion-dollar sellout, I want to revolutionize the industry. I want gaming to be about players, not what sells best. Big names are good and fun, but disappointed and I don't want to go there.

Project Information:

Please note that not all the projects are covered here.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLegacyGame - RTS

Original Recruiter:  http://forum.unity3d...rts-rpg.206758/

https://www.facebook...UnkindWorldGame -RPG

If you are interested, you may PM me, comment, or email. (atxmatt2510(at)hotmail(dot)com)

Terminoligy:
NDA - Non-Disclosure Agreement (Can't share team's ideas, concepts, etc.)

GDD - Game Design Document

GPL - General Public License

RTS - Real-Time Strategy

RPG - Role-Playing Game

MOBA - Multiplayer Online Battle Arena

Updated 7/18/14

I think some background on the company, or a portfolio page of the team will remove some reluctance people may have towards replying. Sell yourself was one of the first topics they touched when I did two years of game design, prior to switching over to 3D interaction and animation after finding the former study quite competitive and not matching my field of interest. It was a sure way to show that one's work is both serious and not a pipe dream, to pull in potential customers or freelancers at first glance. Very few have the sheer luck of Markus Persson, who it seems created Minecraft without even setting up a solid game design document, I still wonder how in the world he pulled that off. I suspect this is why a more organized Jens Bergensten rapidly pulled it out of his hands as soon as the game grew into a big hit. *grin*

The projects sound interesting and while I lack the time to commit professionally to any such project at the moment, I'd also be too reluctant to take a jump into the deep unknown also. It'd be great fun if there's some team portfolio, or a pitch towards what you do, although if you recently started I well understand it's all still under wraps. It sounds like you might have a solid plan though, it got my attention if only out of sheer curiosity.

I guess for the most part I am trying to avoid "advertising" here.

I am a project manager of several teams, working on several projects. I started about a year ago on a project called the Legacy. Here is our recruiter for the first project: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/recruiting-a-team-to-create-hybrid-rts-rpg.206758/

I began as someone with limited experience, seeking the help of others. As time went on, I built up a pretty good team for MY project, and also met an awesome programmer with some projects of his own. It wasn't long that we decided it would be in our best interests to merge and manage all of our projects at once. I'd like to say we have about 20 people total, dispersed between the different projects. Most of them stick to one project but are aware of the others going on. Basically this is just to say that 20 people aren't working on all the projects, but maybe 4 on one project, 5 on another, etc.

We have a website domain, however our server is down at the moment so it will be no use to anyone. A little bit of progress on some of the projects can be found below:

https://www.facebook.com/TheLegacyGame

https://www.facebook.com/UnkindWorldGame

At this point we haven't launched anything, but one of our smaller games is estimated to be complete in about 2 weeks.

I hope I provided enough of a general idea of what we have going on. :)

It looks promising for sure. A golden tip, try participating in game design contests or indygame jams. It's a great way to win both prize money for acquiring software licenses and to get some self-promotion, or if you do really well, sponsorship through being granted licenses by the big software companies who want to promote themselves through the success of young game companies using their software. Even if you don't win your name still goes around.

Being a game designer is one of the few job occupations where having a strong portfolio still outweights having a degree on a piece of paper. Not the sky but your own boldness is the limit. Standing out, promoting and getting oooh's and aaah's can build a good foundation for completing an indygame, even more so in the indygame industry where community support is half the road there, as you don't have to compete with the tripple-A companies, with indygames having become the surprisingly refreshing side dish to the main course that is the videogame titans who used to reign at one time. Have fun with this project, I know that I'll keeping my eye on it, it'll be interesting to see how it will work out. :)

Of course. My teammates all participate in meets and we have met a ton of awesome people through it. I am happy to have the programmer that I do, because he's got a lot of experience with the gaming industry and just overall smarts. I love doing this stuff and could definitely see it being a long-term career for me. I think my personality definitely suits my position too. I'd like to say that I am good at keeping people motivated and working in e very aspect that I can with the team. The biggest challenge with indie developers is keeping a project going, I think.

Anyway, thank you for stopping in and when I get the server in a couple weeks, I will reach out to you with our forum info so you can keep tabs on us. :D

So, what do you actually need? Unless I misread it you didn't say.

And what you said about staying motivated is very true, I end up drawing assets for a friend of mine and then he never gets round to coding it (It's happened twice :/ )

Edit: also some info about what you're using to develop these would be nice too, I mean you said you're making a mobile game so I assume Java, but y'know

I'll be sure to update the first post, but we are actually developing with Unity 4.5.2. That engine allows us to sell up to 100k before we have to buy a license so there's no "out of pocket" fee until we are basically doing well. 

Luckily for me, I have a really motivated group of programmers. Where I am lacking the most is the art department. I like to give everyone a chance but most of the newer guys just aren't very experienced and I end up having to re-do what they send me, while also teaching them how to do it properly. I have a really good artist with us but it's hard for him to work on our game and commissions at the same time. 

I'm pretty experienced with modelling and somewhat good at texturing, although it takes me a while. The only thing I can't do at the moment is code.. but I am learning and my team is pretty heavy in that department :D

EDIT: Updated main post with more information.

Archived