Wrye Bash Face Import to Plugin Error

Recently I've been trying to create NPCs out of my various characters so I can have a sort of integrated world. After searching how to do this, I found that Wrye Bash allows the export of faces from saves so they can be imported into plugins. Being exactly what I wanted, I tried it but it always throws me an error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bash\basher.pyo", line 12802, in Execute
  File "bash\bosh.pyo", line 13095, in save_getFace
  File "bash\bosh.pyo", line 13185, in save_getPlayerFace
  File "bash\bosh.pyo", line 13080, in save_getNamePos
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc0 in position 6: ordinal not in range(128)

I am using the recommended Wrye Bash 295.5 and will post information such as system specs as necessary. I don't seeing them being needed, hence my not including them, but it could become relevant.

Thanks in advance.

This occurs when you have MOD dependencies/associations in one save game that are different than the one you are trying to import from. I have found that this face import feature typically only works with very cleaned saves; those with very few other MODs installed and active.

Also you may want to follow the instructions provided in the below links and make use of the blank.esp provided in Mopy/Extras directory.

Links:

Wrye Bash face import

Properly Transfering Faces

I was only able to make this work once out of 100s of tries, and the level of effort involved in cleaning up the save games made it IMO less than productive and positive use of my time. Still, if you are willing to do the save game clean up by removing unneeded dependencies in both sources, it does eventually work.

Archived