Changing Ai Packages

If I have a custom NPC who my PC has already met, can I change the AI package of the NPC ?

I suspect the answer is no...that the NPC details are already in the game save file. Probably everything is fixed at time of game creation, maybe.

I have changed AI packages for NPC's in the past but they tend to be glitchy afterwards, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

(Its like when you take leveled armor/weapons off a NPC ingame and delete them from their inventory in CS, they still magically reappear a few game-days later )

To get around this I normally clone the NPC in CS and replace the original NPC.

Or perhaps trying something a bit more mischievous, like changing the NPC's AI in CS, then using a spell in-game to change his/her status to re-spawn, then taking him/her down to a locked basement and killing him/her, waiting 3 game days, and then let him/her out....a bit sicko, but probably would work?? Would I even need to kill it? If I locked it in a basement and didn't visit it for 3 days, would it re-spawn with new AI??

Anyway, am I correct with my assumptions? or am I wrong? We have lots of bright people here, surely you guys/gals would know. My efforts in googling returned pages and pages of "I can't find my game files...where are they...HALP!!!!"

While my knowledge of modding and such is small, wouldn't it work if you were to disable the mod, make a clean save, then re-enable the mod with the new AI package?

I mean, you would have to find them again, but I'm guessing that isn't too big of a deal.

Easier just to clone them, as you are in CS anyway to amend the AI package.

I know you can change certain things like non-leveled clothing armor, inventory, NPC's stats, race and appearance and it stays changed. But you can't change a NPC's gender, leveled items in inventory, can't add spells to an existing spell-seller etc once the game has started. It would appear that AI packages don't change either, you can add other packages but it seems to then just cause the NPC to bug out trying to execute the new and old packages.

I just wanted confirmation or otherwise what kind of stuff is saved in game files. Same question as before really, can AI packages be changed in CS and the old ones deleted...if tne NPC is re-spawnable, will the new AI be present and the old packages completely gone once they re-spawn?

can't add spells to an existing spell-seller  ? I have installed some Mods that add spells to the Vanilla merchants (after I started a game and visited these merchants) and they sell the spells.

And I have changed NPC AI pack. A mod NPC followed me every afternoon, in Caves, cities other Mod world spaces. He should only follow the Player near the Mod Location. I changed this AI "wander near current Location" and I never met him again ( except in the Mod Location) Also changed it in a started game, no clean save, no NPC ID change.

Regarding the AI packages, adding additional packages sometimes does work. But deleting existing packages is another matter. Well it is in my experience. Amending existing AI packages can sometimes work, and sometimes the NPC gets bugged.

Also you have to be careful amending existing AI packages as sometimes other NPC's are using the same package. I presume in your case, you amended a package specific to that NPC only.

Anyway, anybody else have any experience in this? or know for sure?

Is there anywhere that tells you what information is stored in a saved game, and what can or cannot be safely changed in CS which will carry through for saved games? I can't find this info anywhere.

I imagine a saved game works a bit like a mod, the original oblivion (which in itself can be modded via CS) is loaded first and a saved game modifies that.

Archived