Weapons?

Origamiboy

Blaab said Yoo had a play around with a flail at some point. But I don't think much came of it... hopefully someone else has some better news on this subject.

EDIT: I think the initial setup of a flail or whip would make a pathway for other weapons. HINT! HINT!

Blaab said Yoo had a play around with a flail at some point. But I don't think much came of it... hopefully someone else has some better news on this subject.

EDIT: I think the initial setup of a flail or whip would make a pathway for other weapons. HINT! HINT!

I have no idea how this stuff works so if I say something impossible, please excuse me, but is it possible to use what is used for tails and make flailing weapons from that?

I know about the so-called combat cross... Im looking for something that has actual weighting and physics. For example a visible chain and ball on my weapon that respond to physics, and the damage is based on physics not (nessecarily) weapon damage. Something where no matter what attacking animation is used the chain follows that animation path due to swinging physics

I know about the so-called combat cross... Im looking for something that has actual weighting and physics. For example a visible chain and ball on my weapon that respond to physics, and the damage is based on physics not (nessecarily) weapon damage. Something where no matter what attacking animation is used the chain follows that animation path due to swinging physics

Sorry I know this is your thread, but I wasn't talking to you when I posted that link. As for your idea of damage based on physics, not sure if anyone tried that at all. Meaning that theres a good chance that the feature won't even be implemented at all. Also you've gotta be careful of the lengths of whip/chain you're using. Too long and you've got a mess, too short and you have a pointless weapon.

Anyways I agree on the nun-chuck. Other than that all I can think of are physic-based weapon decorations. 

• 4 weeks later...

i made a flail today... looks good in 3ds max and the havok preview...  total shit in game.  also had a lot of trouble exporting the nif.  kept telling me i needed at least one bone...  in game all i get is the head at a fixed distance from the shaft and the chain is missing.

Well incase you didn't know all of the links need to be assigned to bones, the bones of the weapon

can you explain that a little more?  i dont normally work with weapons.

BTW, here is a short vid of how the flail should look/behave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhwdjPx1B9M&feature=youtu.be

more than likely, the constraints need a little tweaking, but that wont matter if i cant get it to work in game. and if you think you can get everything linked up correctly, let me know and i will send you the files.

Couldn't you just use the resources from the ball and chain trap that is already in the game? would be good for a base model.

Only thing I'm worried about with a flail is the damage distribution, would the swing cause the damage, or would the flail ball impact cause the damage? If its the impact damage from the flail wouldn't you need to set up a damage exception for the PC so it doesn't damage you when your walking around / swinging it?

i never thought of using the trap...  but still...  i dont normally work with weapons so i have no idea how the games handles damage.  i could look into using the trap resources, but the issue still remains: how to get it to work as a weapon?  i posted earlier that the "flailL i made works in game and acts like the hammer i used as its template.  the only difference being that the head is fixed and the chain is not visible. 

i suppose looking at the traps nodes/bones could help us understand how to get the chain to behave properly

EDIT:

i just took a look at the nif for the macetrap.  again, im not familiar with how weapons work, i would think that it might be easiest to use the trap as the weapon, but scale it down to the right dimensions.  i have some classwork i need to get done but i can play with it a bit more this weekend.

trapmace01.nif

• 1 month later...

i have some interesting news regarding my attempts to create an HDT mace/flail...  i have tried everything i can think of to try to get it to work and have not been able to get a working weapon...

however, i was (sorta) able to get a working "armor".  hdt seems to work fine for armor stuff but not so much for weapons.  what i was able to do was to get the chain part of the flail to jiggle and track the hand as a weapon would.  the mace handle and the mace headm for some reason, are once again lockinto position at the players side as if they are tracking the com bone and not the hand.

anyways, the concept is to make the mace as an armor piece; you can set it to whatever slot you like so as not to interfere with the normal armor pieces.  the next step is to have an invisible weapon (actually really easy to do).  this would dictate the stats and combat animations of the mace or flail. lastly, a script would need to equip the armor whenever the player "readies" the invisible weapon, and remove it when the player "sheathes" it

without a better understanding of how bethesda makes the traps work, the mace trap is not helpfull.

i will toy with it a little more but i am starting to get disenfranchised with skyrim again and may take another break from it for a while

i have some interesting news regarding my attempts to create an HDT mace/flail...  i have tried everything i can think of to try to get it to work and have not been able to get a working weapon...

however, i was (sorta) able to get a working "armor".  hdt seems to work fine for armor stuff but not so much for weapons.  what i was able to do was to get the chain part of the flail to jiggle and track the hand as a weapon would.  the mace handle and the mace headm for some reason, are once again lockinto position at the players side as if they are tracking the com bone and not the hand.

anyways, the concept is to make the mace as an armor piece; you can set it to whatever slot you like so as not to interfere with the normal armor pieces.  the next step is to have an invisible weapon (actually really easy to do).  this would dictate the stats and combat animations of the mace or flail. lastly, a script would need to equip the armor whenever the player "readies" the invisible weapon, and remove it when the player "sheathes" it

without a better understanding of how bethesda makes the traps work, the mace trap is not helpfull.

i will toy with it a little more but i am starting to get disenfranchised with skyrim again and may take another break from it for a while

Good to see some progress.

That's an interesting issue...strange..

I would suggest giving a longer look at trying to fix it before trying to go around it, you might have missed something silly.

One thing i think i remember asking before was for sheathe's/sheathed weapons to have hdt. i think that would be cool. maybe give that a try?

• 1 month later...

One thing i think i remember asking before was for sheathe's/sheathed weapons to have hdt. i think that would be cool. maybe give that a try?

i saw a mod today that does exactly that...   http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57408

hope that is what you were looking for.

sorry its been so long posting here...  but i have had classes, and i just got a new rig, so i have had a lot of stuff to set up on it.  but, it runs at warp speed compared to my last machine...  and dual video cards...  bigger hdd...  6 CORES!!! mmm...

Archived