Disable the equip noise?

Fredas

Situation is that I'm making use of armor that's basically an effect, and I'm not immediately seeing how one disables the equip / unequip noise for certain armor (or as a script function).  Anyone? ;p

It uses a bool for absilent set to false by default so you would need to set it to true equip.YourArmor( abPreventRemoval = false, bool abSilent = True) or equip.yourarmor(false,true)

It uses a bool for absilent set to false by default so you would need to set it to true equip.YourArmor( abPreventRemoval = false, bool abSilent = True) or equip.yourarmor(false,true)

Alright.  I did notice that flag, but the curious thing is that I'm still getting the noise despite it.  However, at the same time I am also having a bizarre problem where the equip / unequip is only working reliably on NPCs.  For the player, it only works about 20% of the time, and I haven't pinned down what esoteric CK quirk is responsible.

Huh.  "Esoteric" is the word for what's going on here.  It seems that the only time the armor effect initiates is if I avoid making use of the camera UFO.  In fact, if I'm using the UFO, and the effect is already playing, it won't stop when it's told to.  Also, the equip / unequip sounds are being allowed / prevented from playing the sound, again, depending on the UFO.  Positively inexplicable.  Might have something to do with letting the game remove player control.

Edit: Spoke too soon?  Equipping can be sound-less, but unequipping with the same arguments produces a noise every time.  SKSE's unequip function doesn't have a no-sound option.  Maybe it's universally impossible.

So I think I have a handle on the weirdness that's going on.  Not a fix, mind you, but an understanding.  There are two issues:

1: Unequipping is generating a noise, quite regardless of whether or not one elects to disable said noise.  (Equipping can be successfully rendered silent.)

2: When in TFC (aka UFO aka free cam) mode, effects on armor fail to initiate and cease, only on the player (everything works fine for NPCs).  The effect can be forced to initiate or cease by opening the inventory, of all things.

Both of these, it seems obvious to me, are Skyrim bugs.

I know wiki says that but it also silences it at least with items I have items added and removed a lot and when I forget to add the bool not only do I see the message but I can here it being removed/added. Untested with the equip/unequip with me anyway I would have assumed it did he same though.

http://www.creationkit.com/RemoveItem_-_ObjectReference

abSilent: If true, no message will be printed to the screen

I know wiki says that but it also silences it at least with items I have items added and removed a lot and when I forget to add the bool not only do I see the message but I can here it being removed/added. Untested with the equip/unequip with me anyway I would have assumed it did he same though.

Correct.  The wiki on EquipItem / UnequipItem / AddItem / RemoveItem all suggest that the silence option is meant for messages, but both EquipItem and AddItem silence the audio, and both UnequipItem and RemoveItem fail to silence the audio.  Tellingly, EquipItemEx specifically offers to silence the equip sound, while UnequipItemEx does not have the counterpart to said option.  This would seem to make it very clear that the author of those functions had discovered for themselves that UnequipItem is broken in that regard.

I assume you mean, say, make the armor fully transparent rather than outright unequipping it.  I looked into it.  It works, but the "invisible" textures still interfere with other textures and the visual result ends up being a bit like the invisibility cloak worn by the Predator.  I appreciate the suggestion, though.

Huh.  I just thought of something.  What about equipping a mesh-less armor into the slot, silently.  Would that force a silent unequip of the preexisting armor?  Need to test.

Archived