Keeping a modified body symmetrical?

Girl

I was wonder how some of you guys were able to keep modified bodies fully symmetrical without destroying the UV maps? By modified bodies, I mean variants of UNP like Sevenbase, or for CBBE CHSBHC. 

I intended to use the Symmetry modifier in 3DS Max to make both sides of the body the same after I edited one side, but I found out that it messes up the mesh itself after I exported it (The UV gets mirrored the wrong way). So using the Symmetry modifer seems to not be an option if it does that.

Am I completely missing something and instead people manually make both sides symmetrical? That would seem like it would be extremely difficult considering that if I'm using soft selection on the vertices around the legs, it can affect the vertices on the other side of the body.

Any help is appreciated, basically I'm trying to morph Sevenbase Cleavage into something like this.

andrea_by_fukdolls-d5utvxk.jpg

andrea_by_fukdolls-d5utw00.jpg

Depends on what tools your using.

If your using the Edit Poly tools they come with Mirror selections (so any changes you make on 1 side is reflected on the other)

I personally just use Mudbox and sculpt out body shapes and stuff that way. Using Max to get only an initial rough outline.

If your using the Edit Poly tools they come with Mirror selections (so any changes you make on 1 side is reflected on the other)

I personally just use Mudbox and sculpt out body shapes and stuff that way. Using Max to get only an initial rough outline.

The mirror modifier? Attempting to use that now yields the opposite side looking like what I modified the right side to be. The right side ends up taking the look of the opposite side which puts me back at step 1.

The mirror modifier? Attempting to use that now yields the opposite side looking like what I modified the right side to be. The right side ends up taking the look of the opposite side which puts me back at step 1.

Not the mirror modifier...

If your in Max and your mesh has been turned into an editable poly, then you can use the freeform brushes to sorta sculpt out the shape your looking for. It includes an x-mirror on the brush so changes made on one side get applied to the other.

Of course this is only via sculpting tools and such (similar to Mudbox) that this will work on without messing up UV's or anything.

I have no idea how to use the modifiers and if you manually move vertices/edges around. For that I defer to an actual expert in Max.

Archived