DDS Photoshop Texture Export

gcleveland

I notice some of the textures for mods are like 12 megs each. When I export one with Photoshop DDS its like 1.5 megs.

What export are you all using. DXT1, DXT5 etc for highest quality.

I am not sure what export is the best.

Thanks.

Edit, talked to Ryanhabs about this (who is always helpful) and they told me that 8.8.8.8 ARGB and 16.16.16.16 ARGB are good options to use.

DXT1 for textures, DXT5 for normals. Many textures in mods are unneccecarily large and just take up vidmem.

The worst part is I can't even fix it unless the mod textures are released uncompressed or are pretty smooth to begin with.

A good rule of thumb is to always check the vanilla textures to see if there's anything on the alpha channel. If there's nothing (all white), use DXT1 (RGB8).

@junkacc: i save textures and normals with DXT5 and i dont get errors and it works. Are there any side effects if i dont save textures as DXT1' date=' Thanks.

[/quote']

DXT5's will work (as far as I know), but they'll take up a lot more file size, which could compromise the PC's speed at reading the file. Take, for example, a Skyrim loading screen. There's a big difference between loading a 10MB .DDS file versus a 1MB .DDS file.

My opinion is to use the smallest file size possible without sacrificing visual quality. DXT5's are overkill, imo.

Archived