Any tips for a noob trying to 3d print Skyrim Characters?

This is likely not the place to post this, but I wasn't sure where.  I searched and found no threads on the subject.

I play Skyrim with a multitude of mods, but I am also a board gamer.  Tactical strategy with minis and the like (Mage Wars, Myth, Super Dungeon Explore, etc).  I wanted to know if anyone could offer any advice on how to export characters to Blender or Sketchup to then save as .obj files that can be printed on a 3D printer.  I understand that Bethesda could have issues with their materials being used which is why I plan to use custom bodys, armors, and textures when importing these models (though I would imagine textures don't matter, but I will be using nothing from vanilla Skyrim).  It would be really cool to replace cards with minis in a lot of these games or just to have more differently styled minis.

What I am looking to do is import a character from Skyrim (head to toe) as well as an armor set for them so that I can then pose and polish them in Blender or Sketchup (or any program that would be better in the community's opinion), export them all combined in a single .obj file, and then print them out for use in board games as heroes or villains.  I full intend to ask any author for permission to reproduce their work in physical form unless it is specifically granted already via their mod post. 

Does anyone know the location of a good tutorial that would help me with this or can any one offer any advice?

Edit:  I just also wanted to add that these miniatures would be solely for my personal use and I would not be selling them to anyone.

I'm a noob in modelling, but you can import the body and armors and the skeleton and then move the bones around. Did a small test -> Horror creature made

Don't know if you can export this then, hope you do something with this. I would search for armor tutorials

If you use them for private use, you don't really need permission. You can modify the heck out of it, as you won't release it.

I'm a noob in modelling, but you can import the body and armors and the skeleton and then move the bones around. Did a small test -> Horror creature made

Don't know if you can export this then, hope you do something with this. I would search for armor tutorials

If you use them for private use, you don't really need permission. You can modify the heck out of it, as you won't release it.

I think you missunderstood his post tbh :P

I'm imaginening OP has allready tried googling this?

Just understand that most commercial 3d printing companies' products look terrible and only vaguely look anything like the character you are trying to 'realize'.

You'd be better off spending a few grand commissioning a 3d artist/sculptor to craft a resin figurine and hand-painted.

3d print of Sad Keanu:

1350094816891.jpg

3d print of World of Warcraft character:

3d-wow-4.jpg

I did actually google this and am coming along, though at a slow pace with this.  I should note that my intention is to print these as minis with a single colored filament and then hand paint them.  I never did think that 3D printing (at the current level of tech) would compare to the quality of hand painting them with the washes and techniques available.

I have learned quite a bit and I am getting into learning how to pose them.  Which I know nothing about, but progress is progress.  I appreciate the input on all sides.

• 6 months later...

I did actually google this and am coming along, though at a slow pace with this.  I should note that my intention is to print these as minis with a single colored filament and then hand paint them.  I never did think that 3D printing (at the current level of tech) would compare to the quality of hand painting them with the washes and techniques available.

I have learned quite a bit and I am getting into learning how to pose them.  Which I know nothing about, but progress is progress.  I appreciate the input on all sides.

How is your progress going on this?

I wanted to do something similar, to extract custom head-to-toe NPCs from Skyrim (custom body, hair, equipment, etc) and have it saved as an obj file to open in various 3d editing programs.... rather than sort through a ton of BSA files for the right body/ facegen/ etc and then try to line everything up, I went a different route... ripping.

My thought was with a 3d ripping program (3d Ripper DX or 3d Via Printscreen) to take the capture of the NPC in their full custom gear, delete all the background stuff, so you'd be left with an .obj file of just the NPC already dressed and posed.

Problem is, I can't get the damn thing to work.

I've seen on other sites people that have ran 3d Ripper with skyrim, so I know it's possible, but I can't get it to work for me... dunno if it's SKSE, or my ENB, or what, but it just isn't happening.

Anyway, that was how I thought about doing the same thing you were trying, and as I hit a dead end with my approach, I wanted to see how yours was going along...

Archived