Wrong head when loading new game using ECE

Hi, I seem to have a problem with ECE where when I load my game my character has a different head(basically an uglier version of my char), until I use the racemenu, then I get the head I created back. Can anyone help me narrow this down so I can found out what's causing it?

Thanks.

If you use another mod that replaces ECE's tri files and such, your face will randomly change to the default face. It doesn't happen constantly, but it is random when it does happen.

Alternatively, if you use a mod that alters those files from ECE, it will do it as well.

But like I said, it doesn't happen all the time. It's just random when it does. Going into the creation menu will revert your face and you can get back to what you were doing. Get a mod like ShowRaceMenu Alternative to help with that so you don't lose stats or anything. It's just one of the minor glitches with ECE and mods that alter the same files.

I've had this in prior games. I'd walk out a door or load a save and for a couple seconds my character would be UGGG...LYYY! :lol: Then she'd just revert back to her normal self.

But to be fair my game was getting unstable at the time and was nearly broken. Since then I've made a new, clean installation, switched to using Mod Organizer and followed some steps to make the game more stable (and have stayed away from heavily scripted mods). Now my two games I have running (seperate MO profiles) are smooth and stable. And I haven't seen that happen since then.

Well I haven't been running around going into new areas or anything so I can't say if I have that problem as well. But I'm basically trying to get the SG female textures renewal to work(the face is great but the body looks like it's covered in stretch marks or something :/)  so I'm restarting skyrim all the time to see if I've had any luck and every time I do she's there, the ugly one.

Is it possible to change character height in ECE? I know you can do that in race menu but I prefer the facial editing options in ECE.

gvman, I'm using MO too, but I'm new to this and MAN, is this is hard to get into. Well for me at least, I must be a bit slow or something.

Yeah, you can change height in ECE. At the bottom of the list for "body" IIRC.

SG is nice, but can look kind of like it's got stretch marks if the character's torso is twisted or something. You could try this one, I like it a lot. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51602/? Real Girls, Mature Skin and Milkdrinker are all pretty nice, too. Just depends on what you want.

I am not sure how to make the ugly face stop. Like I said, I wiped and reinstalled then just never had that problem again. You character does go back to the prettier version after a bit, right? I think that it's a bit of lag from the CPU taking a bit to load up the game. Maybe from too many high res textures and high poly meshes? Too high ENB settings?

I don't know if it sorts itself out to be honest, I'm not spending long enough in game, but for at least 20-30 secs it's there until i go in racemanu. High res textures, hrmmm, maybe, but I doubt it. I haven't done much of anything graphically yet. I have CBBE, not sure if that's high poly. What's ENB?

So many acronyms. lol

oh and thanks for the link, i'll check it out.

OK, so we can rule a couple things out! :lol:

SG on a CBBE body doesn't usually look right. I use UNP variants (right now UNP on one and UNP TopModel on the other) and SG looks pretty good on those (I have SG on the UNP char and Fairskin on the TopModel char).

Have you used BOSS to sort your load order out? Used TES5Edit to clean master files? Making sure that the left pane in MO is set up so you aren't getting bad overwrites to your char's head?

I switched from UNP to CBBE because I wanted to use bodyslide to create a custom body, I actually prefer UNP for the defaults but with bodyslide you can make pretty much anything(still haven't got all that work out yet though lol).

Yea I use boss through MO and then TES5edit, I have cleaned the dirty edits with the help of a youtube vid. The left pane, I'm not sure how to work out what should have prioity just yet tbh lol. I just make estimations basically.

Yea I use boss through MO and then TES5edit, I have cleaned the dirty edits with the help of a youtube vid. The left pane, I'm not sure how to work out what should have prioity just yet tbh lol.

In the left pane you'll see lightning bolt icons whenever there's overwriting (or over reading) going on. And there will be a plus or minus sign telling you whether it wins or loses the overwrite. Simple enough, right? So if one has a minus sign (in this case look for ECE to be overwritten most likely) just right click it then select "information" at the bottom of the dropdown. A new window will open and you need to choose the "conflicts" tab at the top to see what it's overwriting or what is overwriting it. You can then click/hold/drag the mods to higher or lower positions in the left pane to change what overwrites what (changing priority, or you can change the priority number...either way works).

Yeah I know about the lightning and the right clicking and the seeing conflicts but I don't really know where to go from there, like just because two things are in conflict doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong, or does it? Then even if they are conflicting and I know that is wrong I'm basically in a guessing game as for what to do about it with regards moving them around.

I will watch those vids and hopefully learn something, if I only learn one thing I'm one thing closer to knowing what the f**k i'm doing I suppose lol.

Thanks for the help :)

Look for something that is overwriting ECE in this case. If you find something that is then just move it below ECE or move ECE above it (whichever gets rid of the overwrite without creating another one).

For example, I was getting a neck gap with one of my characters. When I looked more closely I noticed that Zaz Animation Pack was overwriting the ECE head .tri files. So I moved Zaz above ECE and the neck gap was gone. That's how easy it could be to fix your issue, too. And MO makes it easier than any other options could make it, since manual installs and NMM would make it nearly impossible to find that issue.

Archived