Problem with a quest.

darkshot64

I'm towards the end of the quest "Lost to the Ages," the quest where you have to collect the 4 Aetherial shards and make them into a key. While I have done this quest before I've seem to run into a snag on this playthrough.

I had already found two "Glowing Crystal Shards" before finding the dungeon with Katria's ghost.

When she asked me to find the journal I couldn't find it. So I went on without it, and got the third shard.

I realized it would be a real hassle to find the last shard without Katia's journal so I used the console to place it in my inventory.

I then proceeded to get the fourth and final shard and then head to the place where I place the shards.

However, I can't. It turns out the quest never activated. I didn't get a notification of any sort when I picked up the first shard, nor when I read the "Aetherium Wars," nor did I get anything from finding Katria.

Does anyone know how to deal with this problem?

This site (UESP Wiki) in a valuable resource. Here's the quest page... http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Lost_to_the_Ages

The bugs section is at the bottom of the page, as are quest stages. If nothing else you should be able to use console commands to advance the quest.

From the Wiki...

This quest will not start if the player has visited Mzulft or Deep Folk Crossing prior to reading The Aetherium Wars.

PC Only; This bug is fixed by version 2.0.1 of the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.

This site (UESP Wiki) in a valuable resource. Here's the quest page... http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Lost_to_the_Ages

The bugs section is at the bottom of the page, as are quest stages. If nothing else you should be able to use console commands to advance the quest.

From the Wiki...

This quest will not start if the player has visited Mzulft or Deep Folk Crossing prior to reading The Aetherium Wars.

PC Only; This bug is fixed by version 2.0.1 of the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.

Oh my. It seems like my Dawnguard Patch is out of date. Thank you for the help.

Sorry, that didn't work either. I suppose I'm not realy missing out on anything, I've done the quest before and I can just use the console to put the Aetherial item into my inventory.

At least this quest wont haunt me like Striking the Heart, I can't seem to end that quest.

Thank you for your help though.

It likely bugged out when you used the console to put the third shard in your inventory rather than pickup the journal. Isn't finding the journal part of the sequence to the quest as it explains where the others are and the dwemer door combinations? 

I guess if resetting the quest stage in console doesn't work you may be out of luck. Did you try going back to the first cave where the journal lies and doing the console? 

It likely bugged out when you used the console to put the third shard in your inventory rather than pickup the journal. Isn't finding the journal part of the sequence to the quest as it explains where the others are and the dwemer door combinations? 

I guess if resetting the quest stage in console doesn't work you may be out of luck. Did you try going back to the first cave where the journal lies and doing the console? 

It was the book I placed into my inventory, not the shard, because I could not find it anywhere. Either way the quest should have started when I found the first 2 shards.

It was the book I placed into my inventory, not the shard, because I could not find it anywhere. Either way the quest should have started when I found the first 2 shards.

Couldn't find the book anywere? http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Aetherium_Wars gives all the locations for the book.

Couldn't find the book anywere? http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Aetherium_Wars gives all the locations for the book.

It's was the ghost's journal I couldn't find, not the Aetherium Wars.

It's was the ghost's journal I couldn't find, not the Aetherium Wars.

Oohh. So the journal wasn't on her corpse in the ruins? Worst I've had was not being able to start some quests with console commands when they wouldn't start automatically and some NPC's that were supposed to be killed became perma essential.

Archived