Suggestion/Request: Factions

WitchGirl

You know what I'd like to see? And before you get on me about how unrealistic it would be to ask for it before January and the kit comes out; I fully realize that, I'm just saying it now so it can get thought about.

Factions

New Vegas really impressed me with the fact that it had a whole bunch of different groups that you could gain or lose reputation with, but Skyrim doesn't really have that. It pretty much just has whether or not you're a criminal in any of the holds, but there's potential for so much more in Skyrim. The first thing to come to mind is the Humanoid enemies, Bandits, Necromancers, Fire Wizards ect.

They kind of already do this with the Forsworn, after you free their boss, the group becomes less aggressive toward killing you, and there's one camp (it's more like a town really) where the boss moves in, the Forsworn there won't attack you at all. You can use their forge, and alchemy table and everything.

But more than that, there's a number of places throughout the game where one can encounter things such as Spriggans fighting Hagravens, (the Gildergreen quest in Whiterun isn't the only one, I've seen friendly Spriggans in cages in Hagraven caves) or animals in poacher/bandit cages, not to mention various opportunities to murder 'noble's or 'couriers' on the roads around the world, most of the time they have pretty good stuff.

So; my question is this, how hard would it be to rig up something, maybe akin to the Bounty system, where if you say, save a Spriggan from a Hagraven cage, you gain +X points toward the 'nature' faction, and if you gain enough points toward the nature faction than eventually wild Spriggans/animals, stop attacking you, maybe even turn the Eldergleam Sanctuary into a town-ish place, where you can get repeating 'pro-nature' quests, that amount to 'go kill this Hagraven' or 'go kill this Hunter' just so that not all the quests are 'socially acceptable.' Maybe these quests could even reward you with alchemy ingredients rather than gold, since 'nature' wouldn't have gold, though I suppose it could give you chunks of unrefined gold ore.

Maybe even as a final reward there could be a 'summon Spriggan' spell/power?

The various Fairy Rings in the world could also make great-go-here-and-do-something-simple locations.

At the same time; there are Forsworn armors out there, maybe if you're wearing it, or maybe if you're wearing that Armor of the Old Gods that you're given as a reward for the freaking 'save the king in rags' quest, and you walk up to a Forsworn camp, maybe they don't automatically attack you?

By the same token maybe you can even go back to Madanach once he moves to Druadach Redoubt and get some Forsworn quests; probably nothing as game-shattering as 'retake Markarth' but the game does spawn random 'nobles' walking the roads, I'm sure Madanach wouldn't mind if someone murdered them. Heck, if you help out the Forsworn enough maybe as a sort of second-reward they could make you into a Briarheart.

(I'm picturing some even where you black out with Hagraven's looming over you, and then you wake up with an effect 'Briarheart' that gives you like, 10% better magical resistance for free, not great, but better than 'you deal more damage to the opposite sex')

You could even have a counter-quest to that 'finding the Sybil of Dibella' quest, since the girl was kidnapped by the Forsworn and the Forsworn in question do have a Shrine of Dibella in the very same dungeon the Sybil is found in. (For me at least this dungeon also happens to have exclusively female Forsworn with the singular exception of the Briarheart at the top.)

And as for more generic bandits; where to begin. There's dozens of dens where bandits are up to various kinds of no good other than just killing/robbing people. There's at least two dog fighting rings, one drug ring/gambling den as part of the Riften skooma problem; any of them could be decent bandit-bases, heck maybe even something as simple as, if you accumulate a big enough bounty in the town nearest the camp, the bandits have heard of you (from wanted posters?) and accept you as one of there own. Less options for actual 'quests' because they're not really as uniformly organized as the Forsworn, or even the natural world (which I assume to follow the rule of Kynareth she is a god after all.)

And then there's the Necromancers and rogue Wizards; I don't really understand why these guys are instantly hostile to the Duvakin in the first place, I mean, Necromancy isn't outlawed in Skyrim, sure Nords hate mages so that might make them a little xenophobic should a heavily armed Duvakin come walking up to their base, but it still seems a little odd that Bandits will go 'that's close enough' before attacking while I've never heard a Necromancer or Wizard do the same. Granted 'close enough' to a wizard is probably a little bit further away than to a Bandit wearing heavy plate, but still, particularly if the PC has done all or a significant chunk of the Collage quest-line, these guys should, maybe be morally repugnant, but not instantly hostile.

PS: Oh and if there's anyone out there with some free time and patience. I'd like to learn how to mod things myself, granted I realize that the creation kit isn't out yet, but I never even got my hands into the Oblivion kit and I'd hate sort of, asking other people to do my ideas just because they're my ideas, I'd much prefer to just do them myself. I just don't know how to; yet.

So if there's anyone out there who can point to a place where I can learn the A-Zs of Modding, or if there's someone would/could educate me themselves, I'd really appreciate it.

PS: Oh and if there's anyone out there with some free time and patience. I'd like to learn how to mod things myself' date=' granted I realize that the creation kit isn't out yet, but I never even got my hands into the Oblivion kit and I'd hate sort of, asking other people to do my ideas just because they're my ideas, I'd much prefer to just do them myself. I just don't know how to; yet.

So if there's anyone out there who can point to a place where I can learn the A-Zs of Modding, or if there's someone would/could educate me themselves, I'd really appreciate it.

[/quote']

I'm trying to much the same thing; I have the GECK set up for Fallout 3 and I'm trying to tweak a couple of mods there, just to find out how things hang together. I figure Creation is close enough to Gamebryo that most of what I figure out should apply for Skyrim. New Vegas might be even better, given that it has a more recent version of the engine. Personally, I don't much care for the setting so I'm sticking with FO3.

After that, the best reference we have at the moment is probably the Bethsoft wiki: http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Main_Page

Archived