Body shadows at Breezehome

AlivEc0cK

Hello,

I have this terrible issue with shadows.

bfq6v9.jpg

I don't know what's going on but in exteriors the shadows are fine, it only happens indoors and only at Breezehome. I have tested it other indoor places around Whiterun and it seems it only happens at Breezehome.

Heeeelp!

Aha, I know this problem. I've made a small shadowmapping demo app a few years ago and ran into it as well. Self-shadowing artifacts, a common problem with shadowmapping algorithms. Has to do with rounding errors in the calculation. Normally it is fixed by adding a small offset to the calculation, in this case the offset is too small. It makes the shadow calculation assume there is an object in front of this one, when in fact they are the same object. Can't tell you how to fix it, as I don't have Skyrim yet, if it is even fixable by end-users at this time.

Aha' date=' I know this problem. I've made a small shadowmapping demo app a few years ago and ran into it as well. Self-shadowing artifacts, a common problem with shadowmapping algorithms. Has to do with rounding errors in the calculation. Normally it is fixed by adding a small offset to the calculation, in this case the offset is too small. It makes the shadow calculation assume there is an object in front of this one, when in fact they are the same object. Can't tell you how to fix it, as I don't have Skyrim yet, if it is even fixable by end-users at this time.

[/quote']

Something that complicated must be fixed with a patch.

@Kodiak, well thanks for telling me it because I have tried a few things without success. Delete mods, restore .inis...

The extrange thing about this bug is it only happens at Breezehome, nowhere else.

Thanks to both of you, awaiting patch or manual fix!

I saw the same effect in some interiors,like dwarven ruins or in Markarth,near the Jarl,in the room where his personal blacksmith is (an orc).

Try to open console and disable some items in the room to see if that's the cause of the shadow effect.

Still,I don't think that's a reason for the panic button ;)

I saw the same effect in some interiors' date='like dwarven ruins or in Markarth,near the Jarl,in the room where his personal blacksmith is (an orc).

Try to open console and disable some items in the room to see if that's the cause of the shadow effect.

[/quote']

Isn't panic a feeling of something terrifing that you don't know what it is? Then the :exclamation: is okay. ;)

How do you disable objects?

@DorkDiva: I think that too, but I believe it's the only pot that causes it for me

I saw the same effect in some interiors' date='like dwarven ruins or in Markarth,near the Jarl,in the room where his personal blacksmith is (an orc).

[/quote']

Isn't panic a feeling of something terrifing that you don't know what it is? Then the :exclamation: is okay. ;)

@DorkDiva: I think that too, but I believe it's the only pot that causes it for me

Open console,click on any item (no matter if is and object or a wall,as long as an Id appears,can be disabled)and type disable.Easy like that.

[/quote']

Open console,click on any item (no matter if is and object or a wall,as long as an Id appears,can be disabled)and type disable.Easy like that.

Thank you very much. I'll try it as soon I come from my current mission and let you know

I have the very same texture issue at my house in Solitude on the 2nd floor in the main room. I don't remember if there is a fireplace/grill/pot there too or if it was the windows or what. My other player houses (other then Breezehome of course) don't seem to have this that I have ever noticed.

yeah gregathit, I read yesterday in a Google search that Solitude's home has the same issue. Nobody had a fix so all we can do is wait for next patch. Wasn't it being released the last week, with 4gb adress aware and all? I guess nexus ins't a good information source...

No the official announcement said sometime in January for the release of the CK.

The 4GB patch was/is supposed to be out this week.....I forget. I took my steam offline after the sneak attack steam patch as the game is quite playable in its original unpatched state for me......that and I don't want any flying backwards dragons!!!!! :)

I think I will just leave steam offline to avoid the patching debacle until the release of the CK - as that, I am certain will require the latest version to function correctly. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have found a way to bypass this bug. It's not a fix, note that.

Find your Skyrimprefs.ini file. Open it with notepad. Find the following line:

iBlurDeferredShadowMask

and set it to 20. It should look like this after being edited:

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=20

By doing this, shadows will look smoother and it makes the horrible bug to look less horrible. It still needs a proper fix from Bethesda or something. Shadows are pretty fucked up in this game in general.

Archived