I don't understand this "assertion failed" error that keeps coming up.

Really low level stuff. Epsilon is the smallest floating point number that can reliably be distinguished from zero. Used in comparisons of floating point values that are the result of a computation.

You must have somewhere some data that HDT is not expecting, perhaps in a nif, perhaps in a hdtPhysics*.xml.
6 hours ago, pfB6cs said:

You must have somewhere some data that HDT is not expecting, perhaps in a nif, perhaps in a hdtPhysics*.xml.

HDT is a person, not a thing.  HydrogensaysHDT is the author of HDT-PE (physics extensions) and HDT-SMP (SkinnedMeshPhysics).  The error is reported as being in SkinnedMeshPhysics.dll as executed by the file "hdtcons...oup.cpp" in the game's base directory.

14 hours ago, Aki K said:

Hide contents

I've never seen this before. It suddenly started today and won't stop occurring every few minutes of gameplay.

You have installed something that has placed a C++ (.cpp) file in your main game directory ("hdtcons...oup.cpp" from your screenshot).  Code on line 205 of that .cpp file is causing the crash.  Skyrim mods aren't typically installed in the game's base folder, so you are likely using something that modifies core game behavior - something like engine fixes or a HDT-SMP patch.  Or you have installed something incorrectly or installed a mod that was not packaged correctly.  Find out what installed "hdtcons...oup.cpp" (and find the non-truncated filename to get more help) and uninstall it.

14 hours ago, pfB6cs said:

Really low level stuff. Epsilon is the smallest floating point number that can reliably be distinguished from zero. Used in comparisons of floating point values that are the result of a computation.

I don't understand the first part.

What could cause data that HDT is not expecting? Everything was working and then suddenly yesterday this error started occurring frequently. Can a new armor cause this even if not being worn? A deleted armor (even if using MO and its installation shouldn't be touching the other files)? Just a random shift in the data for no reason?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Kastagir said:

HDT is a person, not a thing.  HydrogensaysHDT is the author of HDT-PE (physics extensions) and HDT-SMP (SkinnedMeshPhysics).  The error is reported as being in SkinnedMeshPhysics.dll as executed by the file "hdtcons...oup.cpp" in the game's base directory.

You have installed something that has placed a C++ (.cpp) file in your main game directory ("hdtcons...oup.cpp" from your screenshot).  Code on line 205 of that .cpp file is causing the crash.  Skyrim mods aren't typically installed in the game's base folder, so you are likely using something that modifies core game behavior - something like engine fixes or a HDT-SMP patch.  Or you have installed something incorrectly or installed a mod that was not packaged correctly.  Find out what installed "hdtcons...oup.cpp" (and find the non-truncated filename to get more help) and uninstall it.

That doesn't make sense. I use MO2. The games base files aren't supposed to be touched by the installed mods.  The game is basically run through a VM.

The only thing I installed recently was the Predator Cyber outfit and rideable spider mounts (both of which i have used in the past, and both of which I have since deleted). But neither should have resulted in a C++ .cpp file being installed (if I understand this situation correctly. It's very technical to me so I still don't fully understand).

Can you explain the following a little more step by step? I don't quite understand how to do this (or what it really means).

8 hours ago, Kastagir said:

Find out what installed "hdtcons...oup.cpp" (and find the non-truncated filename to get more help) and uninstall it.

EDIT: I can't even find hdtcons...oup.cpp (or any file with a similar name) either with the main files or the MO2 files. Gonna do a full search of the hard drive for all .cpp files.  EDIT 2: No file with a name like that appeared in the search. But I have SMP-HDT installed, and it does work. Able to play for a good solid few minutes, sometimes significantly longer before the error shows up.

Maybe the file that was causing the problem vanished (but that would be weird since the error still occurred after I deleted the new mods). Is it possible for a single save file to be damaged and cause an error like this?

EDIT 3:  These are the specific mods I installed since I noticed the problem

Predator Cyber Outfit

Spider Mounts (which I strongly suspect was the culprit since the first crash occurred when trying to use a mount from this mod, but it could be coincidence)

I also installed a mod for humanoid Khajit and Argonians, but that only changed facegen data. It wouldn't touch anything related to hdt or bodies at all.

Aside from those 4 mods, I hadn't installed anything new in weeks.

Edited by Aki K
Assertions with *.cpp filenames in them relate to SKSE plugins. The cpp files are not usually included in the mod's zip file, as they are only required during compilation. The error is detected by an SKSE plugin in HDT-SMP, but the cause likely is not. The cause will most likely be a bad input, like a nif mesh, ... well... bad or not compatible with your current plugin version.
4 hours ago, Aki K said:

That doesn't make sense. I use MO2. The games base files aren't supposed to be touched by the installed mods.  The game is basically run through a VM.

Mod Organizer is not like a virtual machine.  It places mod files in an override folder in order to keep the base game files untouched.  If a mod is doing something it shouldn't or if there is a mesh with a reference to a bad xml file with poor HDT-SMP code it will still crash your game.  You have installed a mod that is causing this.  The fact that you use MO2 should tell you where to look.  If you don't know where that is, you need to learn more about your chosen mod manager and how it's configured.  If you think it's a pain to have to chase down problems with mods made by amateurs, join the club.

""The game is basically run through a VM."

I guess it's not untrue enough to be called wrong.  There is indeed a level of virtualisation that is supposed to insulate you from some of the mod chaos.

"The games base files aren't supposed to be touched by the installed mods."

This however is definitely false.  Mods later in your modlist can and do replace base game files, arbitrarily, with whatever content they like.  No part of the game is immune (well, parts outside the "DATA" directory can't be affected by the mods, unless the installation instructions tell the user to do it for them; and enough of them do).

I will add, that although the cause of the error is outside HDT-SMP, one would have hoped that HDT-SMP would handle this better and at least give you a hint of where to look for the problem.  So HDT-SMP is definitely at fault... but you won't be able to do anything about it, so look for the other culprits.

I will unfortunately not do better than HDT-SMP... I have no useful suggestions on how to go about finding the cause of the error... save to try disabling mods until the error disappears.  Not useful, like I said.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, pfB6cs said:

I will unfortunately not do better than HDT-SMP... I have no useful suggestions on how to go about finding the cause of the error... save to try disabling mods until the error disappears.  Not useful, like I said.

That's the thing though. I removed all the mods since the error first appeared. The error has occurred at least once since removal of the mods. All other mods currently installed have been installed for months prior to the first occurrence of the error.

Would reinstalling HDT-SMP fix this?

Is it possible for just one save file to be having this error? (I noticed it seems to be occurring mostly with one save file but for all I know that save file is just in a location or using items that are more likely to encounter the error.)

• For example: If I installed an armor that caused the bug, but only played 1 character with the mod before deleting it. Is it possible this issue would only exist for that file?

As I said, I removed all the mods I recently installed since the error first appeared. Prior to them the game was functional and using the same set of mods for months.

Edited by Aki K

I'm not sure why, because I didn't change anything today, but it seems to have stopped. Launched the game to see if the error was the same every time, and it just didn't happen. I'm wondering if I was just in a weird location where something was glitching, or some effect lingered from when I had those mods installed. But today, no issues. Got to play for a good few hours.

So solved issue maybe? I guess I'll see how things go over the next few days.