So Much For Not Updating When Using SKSE

I just got booted from my Skyrim Game :( ...I have had the Game set to update on Launch only and have been launching through SKSE ...I tried to reboot my Game and it came up with the message that it is corrupted, I suddenly had a horrible feeling and checked my Steam Account and yes, despite my Settings, I caught the Game updating :( ...I have paused the Update, is there anyway I can save my Game from updating now or is it too late? :(

Vor 3 Stunden sagte Frau Taewa:

Ich wurde gerade von meinem Skyrim-Spiel gebootet :(...Ich habe das Spiel so eingestellt, dass es nur beim Start aktualisiert wird, und habe es über SKSE gestartet ...Ich habe versucht, mein Spiel neu zu starten, und es kam die Meldung, dass es beschädigt ist. Ich hatte plötzlich ein schreckliches Gefühl und überprüfte mein Steam-Konto und ja, trotz meiner Einstellungen habe ich die Spielaktualisierung erwischt :(...Ich habe das Update angehalten. Kann ich mein Spiel jetzt trotzdem vor der Aktualisierung bewahren oder ist es zu spät? :(

Operate Steam OFFLINE... and this is the only way to protect your old Skyrim edition

And only if you need an update for another game on Steam - ONLY switch it online for this process

Of course, Steam will also try to update Skyrim during this time - but you can cancel that immediately.

You will definitely have mods in your Skyrim edition... that's why it doesn't make much sense - copying the Sykrim folder.
You should only do this with a cleanly installed vanilla game... why... so that you have a clean "backup" - which you also need to reinstall the game if the mod list is "messed up".

47 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

Operate Steam OFFLINE... and this is the only way to protect your old Skyrim edition

And only if you need an update for another game on Steam - ONLY switch it online for this process

Of course, Steam will also try to update Skyrim during this time - but you can cancel that immediately.

You will definitely have mods in your Skyrim edition... that's why it doesn't make much sense - copying the Sykrim folder.
You should only do this with a cleanly installed vanilla game... why... so that you have a clean "backup" - which you also need to reinstall the game if the mod list is "messed up".

I used to always operate Steam Offline :( ...then I was told because I have my Game on update on Launch only that my Game was safe :( ...I have learnt that one the hard way :( ...I have been busy buying on sale games, so had left Steam online :( 

Question then please Miauzi, though the update hadn't finished...I have it paused...it was almost complete, I checked my Executable also and it is now the latest :( ...but though I don't think I have a full game Back Up, I do have this 1.6.353.0 tucked away in a seperate File, would this be enough to save my game? If I clean it out, Mods and all and then replace the new exe with this one I have saved?

415092294_6747228848736311_7979993654317502833_n.jpg

Vor 12 Minuten sagte Frau Taewa:

Früher habe ich Steam immer offline betrieben :(...dann wurde mir nur gesagt, dass mein Spiel sicher sei, weil ich mein Spiel beim Start aktualisiere :(...Das habe ich auf die harte Tour gelernt :(...Ich war damit beschäftigt, Spiele im Sonderangebot zu kaufen, also habe ich Steam online gelassen :( 

Frage dann bitte Miauzi, obwohl das Update noch nicht abgeschlossen war ... Ich habe es angehalten ... es war fast fertig, ich habe auch meine ausführbare Datei überprüft und es ist jetzt die neueste :(...aber obwohl ich nicht glaube, dass ich ein vollständiges Spiel-Backup habe, habe ich diese 1.6.353.0 in einer separaten Datei versteckt. Würde das ausreichen, um mein Spiel zu speichern? Wenn ich es bereinige, Mods und alles und dann die neue Exe durch diese ersetze, die ich gespeichert habe?

415092294_6747228848736311_7979993654317502833_n.jpg

Just saved the exe file separately?

I'm no expert here - but from my point of view I doubt that this will be enough.

That being said - you already have a Skyrim AE version anyway.

There is a separate discussion thread for the AE version - I'll refer you to it:

In their case, the download was already completely completed and the installation had already started - otherwise no exe file will be overwritten. The problem is that it's not just the exe file that is exchanged.

4 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

Just saved the exe file separately?

I'm no expert here - but from my point of view I doubt that this will be enough.

That being said - you already have a Skyrim AE version anyway.

There is a separate discussion thread for the AE version - I'll refer you to it:

In their case, the download was already completely completed and the installation had already started - otherwise no exe file will be overwritten. The problem is that it's not just the exe file that is exchanged.

Thank you Miauzi

POSTED: 6 DECEMBER
From Steam Page

Thanks, Bethesda. I spent 2 months fine tuning my mods and you ruined it all with this ♥♥♥♥ money grabber update.

Edit: I've found a way to downgrade to 1.6.640 so mods will work again

Step 1: Press Win + R and type in steam://open/console
Step 2: Type in these commands. Make sure you type in the next command after the previous one finished downloading

download_depot 489830 489831 3660787314279169352
download_depot 489830 489832 2756691988703496654
download_depot 489830 489833 5291801952219815735

Step 3: Move all the files into your Skyrim root folder. Do it in this order: 489931, 489832, 489833.

Steo 4: Do to the Skyrim data folder and delete these files. It's for the ♥♥♥♥♥♥ market place crap and will mess with LOOT

MarketplaceTextures.bsa
_ResourcePack.bsa
_ResourcePack.esl.

Step 5(Very important step or your game will ctd every time): Use whatever sex mods you have and have an orgy with Lydia, Serana, Aela, and Mjoll.

Bonus: As a ♥♥♥♥ you to Bethesda, go to Steam/steamapps and set appmanifest_489830.acf to read only so Steam won't force the updates. Be sure to do this again if Steam updates.

go to Steam/steamapps and set appmanifest_489830.acf to read only so Steam won't force the updates

unfortunely saves are very fragile, especially if you played while it was updating. I usually have my downloads only update when playing, but also put on the option to stop a download while playing. The downgrader will save your mod files and bodyslider, but saves might be harder to save. 

5 hours ago, Giga-Bool said:

unfortunely saves are very fragile, especially if you played while it was updating. I usually have my downloads only update when playing, but also put on the option to stop a download while playing. The downgrader will save your mod files and bodyslider, but saves might be harder to save. 

I have been assuming my Game is fried, that it has been corrupted due to what Steam did. so it hasn't even ocurred to me to try and save the Game...I was around 60 to 70 hours into a great story I was RP'ing, enjoying it immensely, but I know it's gone. So am taking a break and trying out RDR2 for now (I bought it recently) and will tackle my Skyrim issue when I have stopped sulking about what has happened :)

• 3 weeks later...

Once you have your Skyrim set up, it’s a  pretty good idea to deny steam the nasty habit to update it without being told to do so.

Pretty easy thing should be to set the control file for steam in read-only mode:

<Path-to-wherever-your-steam-is>/Steam/Steamapps/appmanifest_489830.acf

(At least that is the control file for my Skyrim AE)

You can’t start Skyrim by the Steam UI anymore (who is doing that anyway?),  but Steam will keep it’s ugly paws from my precious Skyrim