3dsMax - removing identical polygons from two body meshes at once?

I need to learn how to remove identical polygons from two body meshes at the same time using 3dsMax, but I cannot find out how.

In many Vanilla and some custom armours (Elven Dresses, for example), the "body" is in fact cut apart into several incomplete pieces, with only the areas actually visible when the armour is worn (ie: arms in Iron Armour, etc.) remaining.

The polygons MUST be identical in both the _0 and _1 versions, or the body is broken in-game.

I have tried several methods to do this:

- I have imported both body meshes, selected all, then selected an "Edit Mesh" or "Edit Poly" modifier and removed polygons, but this just crashes 3dsMax when I try to export a .NIF version of either.

- I have tried converting both to editable polys (which removes, thus destroys, all the weighting etc.), THEN done the above. This results in a mesh that CAN be exported, but the re-weighting of the mesh to the base body produces a result far inferior to the original (EDIT: I am about to try a slightly different method to this & will post the result).

- I have recently tried contacting Naihaan (sp?) re: the Elven Dresses mod where I saw this has been successfully done with a high-quality result, but I'm not sure they actually speak English & thus may not be able to respond to my request.

An edit poly modifier will reset the order of vertexes.

And after you have removed polys always delete the old BSDismemberSkinInstance and add a new one. <(this is most likely why you crashed on export)

But my favourite method to avoid clipping is to abuse the BSDismemberSkin it self.

You could add another editable mesh modifier, make the changes you need to make, then copy and and paste that modifier to the other body. Collapse the modifiers on both bodies afterward. Don't forget to redo the bsdmodifiers on both bodies before exporting.

Don't forget these should be the last steps of the entire workflow, after re-fitting and properly rigging armors to both meshes. You should save frequently, as Max's history isn't sufficient enough to backtrack when you're cutting vertices. You may cutting some parts on one mesh may produce visible holes on the other mesh, so you may have to backtrack and either cut less, or re-adjust armor. Don't collapse anything until everything looks right from all sides. Good luck.

You could add another editable mesh modifier, make the changes you need to make, then copy and and paste that modifier to the other body. Collapse the modifiers on both bodies afterward. Don't forget to redo the bsdmodifiers on both bodies before exporting.

Bingo. This is what did it, with a slight variation. :)

First, apply the process to the _0 mesh, get it ready for export, save, copy the new Edit Mesh modifier, export, delete all, import _1 mesh, Paste, rinse & repeat. Many thanks guys - I am REALLY happy to have learned this! ^_^

Archived