How can I remove animations from a SLAL pack

How can I remove certain animations from packs that I am running?

To give one example, I really like BIllyy's packs, but there's no context under which I ever want to see the FuroTub animation play ingame. I know how to suppress it in SexLab, which prevents it from being played, but even so it takes up space in the number of animations, and shows up in the lists of other mods, like Cumshot and such.

If possible I would like to completely remove it, but how do I go about this?

Edited by NoNickNeeded
more clear title
  • NoNickNeeded changed the title to How can I remove animations from a SLAL pack
3 hours ago, NoNickNeeded said:

How can I remove certain animations from packs that I am running?

To give one example, I really like BIllyy's packs, but there's no context under which I ever want to see the FuroTub animation play ingame. I know how to suppress it in SexLab, which prevents it from being played, but even so it takes up space in the number of animations, and shows up in the lists of other mods, like Cumshot and such.

If possible I would like to completely remove it, but how do I go about this?

Can be done, sure, but given that Billyy's packs are updated monthly, you'd have to redo the "fix" every month as well.  Probably not worth the effort.  Just don't enable them in SLAL and they'll never show up.

inside the billyy directory should be a SLanims subdirectory, containing further subdirectories for JSON and Source. These contain pairs of files, .txt in source, and .json in the JSON directory (ie Source/Billyy_HumanFurniture.txt, JSON/Billyy_HumanFurniture.json)

At this point I'm guessing that removing the references to the specific animation in both files will do what you need. This is all about guessing how FNIS uses the txt/json data to build a database, YMMV, caveat emptor, and in some ways this is the worst form of "patch" - deleting something without much reference to the manual.

• I can't see header information that tells the system that there should be a particular number of animations, such that something would realise there is something deleted.
  • The .hkx resources wouldn't be referenced, so probably won't be loaded, and I'd avoid deleting the HKX in case there are hidden dependencies where one character's animation stage is reused in a different animation. The Furotub, the animation stages are probably highly specific and not reused, but no guarantees for a strip/struggle/end animation stage in other scenes.

Run FNIS to do the animation count before the edits, then make certain you have a backup of the .txt and json files,

Then do the edits to the .json and txt pair of files. Make certain you can revert the .json/.txt file edits if you need to.

Then run FNIS again, and if FNIS has a complaint, revert the edits, and find the FNIS manual.

If FNIS doesn't complain, see if the animation count has decreased (otherwise all of this is for nothing).

If FNIS has worked and has reduced the number of animations, remember to go into the MCM for SLAL, and rebuild the SLAL registry, as SLAL will need to know that some animations have disappeared.

FNIS XXL can go to 32000 animations. Billyy human/creature furniture in total is about 160. For an optimization of 0.5%, this seems a lot of work.

JSONedit.png

Textedit.png

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I am running Animation Limit Crash Fix LE, which does make the game not crash, even if it's over the animation limit, but even so the pop-up massages about being over the limit are a bit annoying. Also cumshot seems to be limited to seven pages for a total maximum of 840 animations for the overrides, should the default assignment based on tags not fit, and I am defintiely well above that limit.

FNIS shows the same number of animations, but they don't show up in SLAL's MCM anymore and thus don't get put into SexLab, even if I just go Enable All -> Register Animations.

So... partial success I guess? I'm not sure what consequences this will have in the game yet, so I'll back up my savegames and see if I notice any change while playing.

You also need to drill down to the meshes/actors/character/animations/SOME PERSONS ANIMATIONS/SOME FNIS TXT

and start deleting in the txt file. Then you need to go the FNIS folder and Tools/GENERATOR FOR MODDERS/GEN EXE

and drill to the other animations folder again and load said TXT.

THEN you need to go to FNIS folder/meshes/actors/character/BEHAVIORS and copy SOME FNIS TXT BEHAVIOR.hkx

and paste it in SOME PERSONS ANIMATIONS folder /meshes/actors/character/BEHAVIORS

THEN re run regular FNIS. NOW your animation number should of changed.

So as an example for clarity Billyy it would be

Billyy's SLAL Animations\meshes\actors\character\animations\Billyy_Human\FNIS_Billyy_Human_List.txt   <-- Edit this and of course you can delete the corresponding .HKXs

Billyy's SLAL Animations\meshes\actors\character\behaviors\FNIS_Billyy_Human_Behavior.hkx   <-- Newly generated behavior goes back/overwrites in here.

Ofcourse as the previous post said, a new update will wipe out this work. So you'll have to manually add animations you want.  It's not bad once you have the hang of it. Open a few windows, copy pasta.

Thank you for the guide.

I just did that and apart from the hkx file, FNIS for modders also created an xml file with the same name as the hkx in tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Modders\temporary_logs .

Is it really just a temporary file, as the folder name suggests, that FNIS didn't clean up, or do I need to keep it?

Edited by NoNickNeeded

that, I have no idea. Again, Furotub is likely going to be a simple search with few false positives. If there is a reference to Furotub in the .xml then there's something still lurking.

As the goal was to get FNIS count reduced, rather than SLAL, I'm now beyond what I know/guess about the file structure.