devious mods seem to be breaking my game.

I had wiped my load order due to another issue and started over, then when i hit new game it loads, then goes to a black screen where i can hear background noise. so I wiped my whole load order and started over again, and noticed the crash happens specifically when i install devious devices. i uninstalled reinstalled devious devices then it worked. i did the same with cursed loot and devious lore, but then it crashes same way again. help please. here is my load order.
# Automatically generated by Vortex
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
ccBGSSSE001-Fish.esm
ccQDRSSE001-SurvivalMode.esl
ccBGSSSE037-Curios.esl
ccBGSSSE025-AdvDSGS.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
SexLab.esm
Devious Devices - Assets.esm
SexLabAroused.esm
Devious Devices - Integration.esm
Devious Devices - Expansion.esm
Devious Devices - Contraptions.esm
RaceCompatibility.esm
ZaZAnimationPack.esm
CreatureFramework.esm
SGEyebrows.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Resources.esm
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
High Poly Head.esm
Sexy Adventures.esl
SkyUI_SE.esp
SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
Deviously Cursed Loot.esp
Devious Devices - Lore Patch.esp
Devious Lore.esp
Devious Devices SE patch.esp
SexLab-AmorousAdventures.esp
SexLab Approach.esp
SexLabHorribleHarassment.esp
Dirt and Blood - Dynamic Visuals.esp
DirtBloodAndCum.esp
Sexlab - Cum Overlays.esp
SLDrunkRedux.esp
Blush When Aroused.esp
SLACS.esp
SexLabDefeat.esp
MoreNastyCritters.esp
HornyCreatures.esp
Dovabear.esp
SexLab Extra Voices.esp
SLAL_GSAnimObjects.esp
BakaFactoryABC.esp
HentaiCreatures.esp
SLAnimLoader.esp
FacelightPlus.esp
BakaMotionData.esp
Pocky Punk's Make Up Addon_females.esp
RaceMenu.esp
CBBE.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
RaceMenuMorphsCBBE.esp
3BBB.esp
SOSPhysicsManager.esp
RBT.esp
RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp
Lamenthia's Marks of Beauty.esp
koralinas_freckles_moles.esp
Koralina's Makeup Tweaks.esp
Sonders_Keyword_Distribution.esp
EvenMoreMakeup.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
Brows.esp
HIMBO.esp
RaceMenuMorphsHIMBO.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Regular Addon.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
The Amazing World of Bikini Armors REMASTERED.esp
TAWOBA Remastered Leveled List.esp
Eyes of Aber.esp
TW3Eyes.esp
Elemental Eyes.esp
Even More Eyes.esp
BnP -Eyepack.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
HG Hairdos 2.esp
KSHairdosSMP.esp
SFO_SkinFeatureOverlays.esp
FMS_FemaleMakeupSuite.esp
BarbarianPaints.esp
CommunityOverlays3.esp
CommunityOverlays2_31T50.esp
CommunityOverlays1_0T30.esp
Wolfpaint_Face.esp
Koralina's Eyebrows.esp
KaliliesBrows.esp
Even More Brows HPH.esp
High Poly Head Vampire Fix.esp
Jampion NPCs.esp
Jampion NPCs - USSEP Patch.esp
Bijin Wives.esp
Bijin Warmaidens.esp
Bijin NPCs.esp
SOSRaceMenu.esp
XPMSE.esp
FNIS.esp
UIExtensions.esp
SexLab_Solutions.esp
Vokrii - Minimalistic Perks of Skyrim.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
Deviously Cursed Loot LAL AddOn.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp

30 minutes ago, poopy69poopy said:

would papyrus log catch this type of crash?

First of all, the papyrus log is not a crash log. Secondly, you're dealing with a partial game freeze, not a crash.

There's been some suggestions that disabling/enabling vsync might fix a freeze like this. Maybe SSE Engine Fixes can do something about it. po3 has some "engine fixes" like mod(s) as well, maybe worth checking out.

Otherwise go through these:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/198423-skyrim-se-freezing-help/
https://www.loverslab.com/topic/219554-random-hard-freezes/
https://www.loverslab.com/topic/199792-game-freezing/

Edit: Links above summarized: If you don't know assembly, and don't feel like learning, ripping your setup apart is going to be by far the easiest way; i.e. what you're doing now.

Edited by traison
11 minutes ago, traison said:

First of all, the papyrus log is not a crash log. Secondly, you're dealing with a partial game freeze, not a crash.

There's been some suggestions that disabling/enabling vsync might fix a freeze like this. Maybe SSE Engine Fixes can do something about it. po3 has some "engine fixes" like mod(s) as well, maybe worth checking out.

Otherwise go through these:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/198423-skyrim-se-freezing-help/
https://www.loverslab.com/topic/219554-random-hard-freezes/
https://www.loverslab.com/topic/199792-game-freezing/

Edit: Links above summarized: If you don't know assembly, and don't feel like learning, ripping your setup apart is going to be by far the easiest way; i.e. what you're doing now.

thank you!! this is what confused me about papyrus- https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/articles/368

im worried about disabling vsync cause ive read it can cause other issues. going to read through those linked threads now.

im at point where i have my whole load order downloaded except for devious lore, and no crash. not saying its that mods fault cause it could be something i did with another mod. ive had devious lore working on multiple other mod setups though.

Yeah that article is unfortunate, and probably the reason why so many think the papyrus log is a sort of log file for the game itself. All it really is is a log file for the papyrus script engine. While crashes can occur as a result of script actions (even without SKSE), its quite unlikely the game will have time to dump anything in that log before it goes down.

I do not know what the deal is with that vsync idea, but yes I wouldn't recommend disabling it either as, while your game may load twice as fast (depending on your fps in the loading screen) it does have the potential to introduce race conditions and if nothing else, it will break physics (flying cheese everywhere!) You do have some options though, enable/disable it just for a test, if the problem goes away take it as a hint. There's also several different ways to implement vsync, i.e. you can disable vsync in the game ini and enable the one in ENB or your display driver. These are all different and standalone implementations of pretty much the same thing - some implementations are better than others.

Edit: and yes I know there's a mod that fixes physics, and yes the fast game loading thing is silly, blame whoever decided to have the data streaming/loading thread wait on the render loop.

Edited by traison

I ended up giving up on devious lore, then after watching videos realized I was insane for not using an ENB. (Have a fairly newer expensive rig) so I followed this video guide. https://youtu.be/Pj7enUTiLjg?si=-S7UdAUTa4AiKbZc after completing it my game freezes (screen locks to point ctrl alt dlt doesn't close it). After some reading, I found out vortex still could be messing up my game folders, or maybe it was specifically the data folder. So when I said I wiped my load order, I did it the dumb way. I just uninstalled all on vortex, then used vortexs purge. Another thing I found is people say anti virus could cause problems like I'm having, but I only have Microsoft defender. None the less, I think I need to tell Microsoft defender to ignore skyrim folders just in case. I'm going to delete vortex, follow gamerpoets guide to fresh install skyrim, and I'm going to use mod organizer 2. Hopefully this will fix things.

19 hours ago, traison said:

Yeah that article is unfortunate, and probably the reason why so many think the papyrus log is a sort of log file for the game itself. All it really is is a log file for the papyrus script engine. While crashes can occur as a result of script actions (even without SKSE), its quite unlikely the game will have time to dump anything in that log before it goes down.

I do not know what the deal is with that vsync idea, but yes I wouldn't recommend disabling it either as, while your game may load twice as fast (depending on your fps in the loading screen) it does have the potential to introduce race conditions and if nothing else, it will break physics (flying cheese everywhere!) You do have some options though, enable/disable it just for a test, if the problem goes away take it as a hint. There's also several different ways to implement vsync, i.e. you can disable vsync in the game ini and enable the one in ENB or your display driver. These are all different and standalone implementations of pretty much the same thing - some implementations are better than others.

Edit: and yes I know there's a mod that fixes physics, and yes the fast game loading thing is silly, blame whoever decided to have the data streaming/loading thread wait on the render loop.

Meant to quote you in my last reply.

2 minutes ago, poopy69poopy said:

I ended up giving up on devious lore, then after watching videos realized I was insane for not using an ENB. (Have a fairly newer expensive rig) so I followed this video guide. https://youtu.be/Pj7enUTiLjg?si=-S7UdAUTa4AiKbZc after completing it my game freezes (screen locks to point ctrl alt dlt doesn't close it).

Should've said the game freeze after enb was basically instantly on start up. Before any logos.

One way I should've known I messed up was I still had a menu replacer running on my new mod set up, before I installed the mod that actually gives it. Not right away, but at the point in building my new load order where I had most of the core utilities, so I think it was just a matter of the left over mod data activating because I had other required mods.. So I think vortex sort of kept some of the mod, and probably pieces of others.

1 hour ago, poopy69poopy said:

So I think vortex sort of kept some of the mod, and probably pieces of others.

This is the reason why I quickly swapped to MO (not mo2) after testing NMM (not vortex) back in the day. People have told me there's nothing wrong with nmm/vortex, so I've attributed the mess it made to user error - I probably didn't understand something about it. I realize there's a large difference in the way vortex and mo2 work, from a user's perspective (not just technologically) - meaning, depending on how you think, one application will tend to make more sense than the other. In my opinion (and it may not be the popular opinion) vortex should only be used to install mods, and at best do small changes to your load order. mo2 is for the player that rips out 10 mods each week just because they want to test new things. Again, in my opinion, vortex messes up file links when large mods are removed or otherwise large changes are made to the conflict lists or the filesystem in general.

The reason why I typed "nmm/vortex" in the previous paragraph is that they use the same method when "installing" mods: ntfs hardlinks. mo2 is more elegantly handling this with a dll that creates a sort of virtual file system in ring 3 (user mode), hence the abbreviation "usvfs". I suppose this is subjective as some may prefer the simplicity of hardlinks.

1 hour ago, poopy69poopy said:

I'm going to use mod organizer 2.

To try to mitigate the heat this post is going to get from the "vortexers": mo2 is not perfect either. It is vastly superior now compared to how it was back in the day, how mo (not mo2) was. I haven't had any technical issues with it in a long time, except that the new version (of mo2) really likes to crash a lot; the previous version didn't. If you're used to how vortex works, switching to mo2 will require a new way of thinking: The first thing that may confuse you is that the skyrim data directory is and will remain mostly empty. This is by design.

14 hours ago, traison said:

This is the reason why I quickly swapped to MO (not mo2) after testing NMM (not vortex) back in the day. People have told me there's nothing wrong with nmm/vortex, so I've attributed the mess it made to user error - I probably didn't understand something about it. I realize there's a large difference in the way vortex and mo2 work, from a user's perspective (not just technologically) - meaning, depending on how you think, one application will tend to make more sense than the other. In my opinion (and it may not be the popular opinion) vortex should only be used to install mods, and at best do small changes to your load order. mo2 is for the player that rips out 10 mods each week just because they want to test new things. Again, in my opinion, vortex messes up file links when large mods are removed or otherwise large changes are made to the conflict lists or the filesystem in general.

The reason why I typed "nmm/vortex" in the previous paragraph is that they use the same method when "installing" mods: ntfs hardlinks. mo2 is more elegantly handling this with a dll that creates a sort of virtual file system in ring 3 (user mode), hence the abbreviation "usvfs". I suppose this is subjective as some may prefer the simplicity of hardlinks.

To try to mitigate the heat this post is going to get from the "vortexers": mo2 is not perfect either. It is vastly superior now compared to how it was back in the day, how mo (not mo2) was. I haven't had any technical issues with it in a long time, except that the new version (of mo2) really likes to crash a lot; the previous version didn't. If you're used to how vortex works, switching to mo2 will require a new way of thinking: The first thing that may confuse you is that the skyrim data directory is and will remain mostly empty. This is by design.

I found out I didn't have part 2 of see engines fixes installed, and I didn't have Microsoft c++!! ? Anyone having the same problem double check you have those!! Could've sworn I had visual studio installed, but when I was following a gamerpoets video and got to Microsoft c++ it didn't say rebuild, just install. Guess I never had it! ? 2nd problem was I wrongly remembered part 2 of sse engine fixes being the Microsoft studio c+++! It's a different manual download. So vortex isn't to blame!! Still, I'm using mo2 because I don't like how vortex keeps parts of mods after I uninstall all and purge. Also I didn't know about sse quick clean. Found out from this awesome video. https://youtu.be/Det57ew7piY?si=aZ7MEyEE_dLbo_Eg

cactusbagel, ADHDecent, and gamerpoets are awesome youtube channels for modding info!!!

To anyone even if you use vortex, you should check this video and go to where he uses ssequickautoclean. Maybe vortex does this on its own, but if it doesn't.. It seems like it's very worth doing manually. He starts using it at 9min45seconds.

Edited by poopy69poopy
Forgot link

Visual Studio by itself probably doesn't install anything apart from the .net build tools for selected target platforms. The .net framework does not install any part of the vc++ runtime either; and installing *a* version of the vc++ runtime does not guarantee a program built on vc++ will function.

VC++ is split into many different parts, and there's at least 3 different version numbers for each and I have not found any logic in their naming and numbering schemes, some examples:

msvcp080 (vc80_2005_8.0.50727.6195)
msvcp090 (vc90_2008_9.00.30729.6161)
msvcp100 (vc10_2010_10.0.30319.1)
msvcp100 (vc10_2010_10.0.40219.1)
msvcp120 (vc13_2013_12.0.40660.0)
msvcp140 (2019_14.28.29325.2)
msvcp140 (2022_14.34.31938.0)
msvcp140 (vc15_2015_14.0.23026.0)
msvcp140 (vc17_2017_14.16.27027.1)

An application may thus say it needs vc10 to run. There's several different versions of each "vc" version. Typically the newest one would be best, less bugs and security flaws. An application may also say msvcp140 is missing, but you won't find a download for that, as the download will be labeled either vc15 or vc17.

Simple, right?

Edit: I guess the major version of the dll matches the msvcp* number, but that's about it.

Edited by traison
24 minutes ago, traison said:

Visual Studio by itself probably doesn't install anything apart from the .net build tools for selected target platforms. The .net framework does not install any part of the vc++ runtime either; and installing *a* version of the vc++ runtime does not guarantee a program built on vc++ will function.

VC++ is split into many different parts, and there's at least 3 different version numbers for each and I have not found any logic in their naming and numbering schemes, some examples:

msvcp080 (vc80_2005_8.0.50727.6195)
msvcp090 (vc90_2008_9.00.30729.6161)
msvcp100 (vc10_2010_10.0.30319.1)
msvcp100 (vc10_2010_10.0.40219.1)
msvcp120 (vc13_2013_12.0.40660.0)
msvcp140 (2019_14.28.29325.2)
msvcp140 (2022_14.34.31938.0)
msvcp140 (vc15_2015_14.0.23026.0)
msvcp140 (vc17_2017_14.16.27027.1)

An application may thus say it needs vc10 to run. There's several different versions of each "vc" version. Typically the newest one would be best, less bugs and security flaws. An application may also say msvcp140 is missing, but you won't find a download for that, as the download will be labeled either vc15 or vc17.

Simple, right?

Edit: I guess the major version of the dll matches the msvcp* number, but that's about it.

Oh shit. Does this mean I messed up again?

3 minutes ago, poopy69poopy said:

Oh shit. Does this mean I messed up again?

If it works, no. My previous post pretty much just explained that you may have installed vc++ before, but some application you're using now requires a different version. Installing that other version will seem like you're installing vc++ for the first time, because you are.

Edit: Clarification, you can install vc17 next to vc10. After a while of using Windows, you typically end up with *some* version of each vc runtime.

Edited by traison
3 minutes ago, traison said:

If it works, no. My previous post pretty much just explained that you may have installed vc++ before, but some application you're using now requires a different version. Installing that other version will seem like you're installing vc++ for the first time, because you are.

Edit: Clarification, you can install vc17 next to vc10. After a while of using Windows, you typically end up with *some* version of each vc runtime.

Ohh ok. Thank you!!

On 11/15/2023 at 7:07 PM, traison said:

Hi I'm poppy69poopy. My browser remember password, which was from a year ago, expired for my LL account.. and my email for LL at the same time. Changed my phone # .. which was my only way into my email since then. ? 

[ In case have 2 accounts is tos ]

I made my loader order on mo2 and I'm back to the same thing. Will you tell me more about turning off v sync? I have a enb running.

Edited by forgonerat