how do people do animation mods ?

so i spent a couple of days looking up how to get animations to & from blender

and every tool out there is very old AND doesnt work

examples :

https://github.com/opparco/io_anim_hkx

https://github.com/jgernandt/blender-hkx

and yes iv downloaded the exact same version of blender mentioned in each of these but they still dont work

im also aware that they download with the wrong name and have to be renamed in order for the addon to be installed correctly which i did and the addons seem to install correctly

they did mention that they dont import SE animations only original skyrim

so i also tried downloading some random original skyrim animations to import but still no luck . always error on any attempted import

also the tools on this guide https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/70663?tab=description&BH=2

and faced a block at the very first step where converting SE animation to LE .kf format doesnt work

how are there so many animation mods ?

surely there is something im missing

every tool iv found on google is deprecated and doesnt work . unless its only the blender ones that dont work ?

help a bro out please

im just trying to fix some clipping and misalignments lol

but hey if i can get a good workflow going i'd love to make some animation mods too

20 hours ago, monty359 said:

for blender check this out:

https://github.com/BadDogSkyrim/PyNifly

the addon can not only handle import and export of .nif files, but also the inim files. There is also a demo video for import/export of animations

thank you

i tried it on blender version 3.2 & 3.6 since it says it works on 3.x i assume it should work on these versions

importing HKX since im mostly interested in animations

from both original skyrim and SE but it fails with error from console window

2, in hkx_to_xml
    raise RuntimeError(f"Failed to create {xml_filepath}")
RuntimeError: Failed to create C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp_sneakmtidle_5.xml

On 11/11/2023 at 9:40 AM, gamerpk2 said:

thank you

i tried it on blender version 3.2 & 3.6 since it says it works on 3.x i assume it should work on these versions

importing HKX since im mostly interested in animations

from both original skyrim and SE but it fails with error from console window

2, in hkx_to_xml
    raise RuntimeError(f"Failed to create {xml_filepath}")
RuntimeError: Failed to create C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp_sneakmtidle_5.xml

i use this tool only for import/export if nif files. I never used it for animations. In the past i tried to modify animations, so i investigaterd like you how to do it, but i never got it working.

I use nifly since the creating of the thread i linked you obuve by @Bad Dog. The Import/export of animations is new, but he demonstrates in this video how to do it:

Spoiler

Take a look, maybe you will see something, that went wrong in your testing.

If you still get errors, you could write to bad dog in his thread or on github. The tool is still in development.

I hope it works out for you!

On 11/12/2023 at 1:49 PM, monty359 said:

i use this tool only for import/export if nif files. I never used it for animations. In the past i tried to modify animations, so i investigaterd like you how to do it, but i never got it working.

I use nifly since the creating of the thread i linked you obuve by @Bad Dog. The Import/export of animations is new, but he demonstrates in this video how to do it:

Reveal hidden contents

Take a look, maybe you will see something, that went wrong in your testing.

If you still get errors, you could write to bad dog in his thread or on github. The tool is still in development.

I hope it works out for you!

thx ^^

tried following it step by step . it did have some steps that i wasnt aware of before . like having to reference the rig while importing the animation . but yea still no luck

someone reported the same problem on that youtube vid like a month ago

so i guess Bad Dog knows . dont wanna hassle him