(Resource) Custom Waifu Card Templates

In short, this is just a set of templates for people specifically wanting to make texture replacers for my mod Waifu Cards, allowing you to put whatever art you want on the cards while still matching the format, holos, and normal maps of the original mod. It has the templates for each card set, along with an alternate version available for the Desert set that is a bit more lore-friendly.

***Requires Paint.NET to open and work with the templates.

--- Text and image guides for making card replacers ---

(These assume you have at least a little bit of knowledge using image editing programs)

Guide: Replacing a card (example: a Town SR card)

Spoiler

1. Open the template you want to use in Paint.net (in this case Town).

You'll see there's four layers (or five for the hentai template), but the only two you'll be concerned with are the top and bottom layers.

guide1_1.png.a4963b342b01f6ec193466fd64c517bd.png

2. Open your art separately, select all (ctrl+a) and copy it with ctrl+c.

guide1_2.png.436ed1dd289e5062e49cc185087b0dfb.png

3. Go back to your template, select the bottom layer, and paste the art (ctrl+v). Don't expand the canvas when you do this! The image dimensions need to remain at 1024x1024 for the texture to work in-game.

4. Resize your art maintaining the aspect ratio so it won't look bad, by holding shift while resizing it. (In other words, shift + dragging with the mouse)

guide1_3.png.d2f44a2b9ea6e0d05090cfb041e5e4f4.png

5. Once your art is resized and in a good spot on the bottom layer, deselect it and switch over to the top layer.

6. Here you can add your text for the card title/rarity. If you want to mimic the exact style I used, then here's the fonts/effects I used:

Regular card title: Papyrus font size 28, font color: white, bold, italic, Effects --> Object --> Drop Shadow
Regular card title (Sea, Myst and Secret cards): Papyrus font size 28, font color: white, bold, italic, Effects --> Photo --> Glow
Rarity symbols: Papyrus font size 36, font color: black for Holy cards & white for everything else, bold, italic, Effects --> Photo --> Glow
Hentai card title: Viner Hand ITC size 28, italic, no effects

guide1_4.png.d066b189a713c116822c426e675b6fc9.png

7. Position your text as neatly as you can. If the original card has a rarity, make sure you indicate it on the card as well - for example, the one I'm replacing is an SR so I added the symbol as well. Make sure you select only the "SR" or put it on a new layer if you want to apply a glow effect to it, so you don't put the glow effect on the title as well.

guide1_6.png.995d44aa4370f133a290227cdd9ffc5e.png

8. Once you're done, it's time to overwrite the original DDS. Double-check that your image dimensions are still at 1024x1024, then go to "Save as.." and find the texture you want to replace in your game folder (you can see the exact filepath below)

guide1_7.png.0f75165fa72e38942a1016deec76c80d.png

**Important: Make sure you only overwrite, and don't change any filenames, or else the game won't know what to load. So yes, when you're replacing cards in the Fire set, their names must stay as whatever stupid thing I named them to begin with, like "FireySet1" and so on.

**Very important: When exporting as a DDS, you'll be presented with compression options. Make sure you pick the exact options below before saving.

guide1_8.png.2719d838c844ee0ac515133adc472f75.png

After that, all you have to do is say yes to overwrite and congrats, you replaced the card! Now have fun doing over 150 of them. Lol

Guide: Making your own themed template

Spoiler

1. Open any of the templates, and delete the layer that has the background on it so you're left with this:

guide2_1.png.e0f775d179ace37f05227186a0bd60b7.png

2. On the bottom layer, paste whatever wallpaper-oriented image you want to use.

guide2_2.png.bf31b744c185226855a9ac972f586fa4.png

3. Still on that layer, use rectangle select to cut out the portions of the card where your art would go with Ctrl+X. The end result should look like this:

guide2_3.png.fba6fa88503da1961196238033ee350e.png

4. Lastly, add another empty layer to the bottom if you used the one that was already there. Save it as a .pdn and congrats, you have another template. EZ

--- Permissions/Credits ---

The base template that Waifu Cards is based on is from InsanitySorrow's modder's resource. (My version of it extends the art portion of the card, hence why having my version of the templates is important for people wanting to make specific replacers for Waifu Cards).

Feel free to release your texture replacers for Waifu Cards if you want, just make sure that both InsanitySorrow's resource and my mod/templates get credited.

Good luck making your own cards, whether they're personal or shared! Hopefully we'll get to see some fun variety come from this.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    10/09/2023
  • Category
  • Requires
    Paint.NET
  • Regular Edition Compatible
    No

Edited by doragonmaid
5 hours ago, kractus09 said:

followed everything but now everytime i try to view the card in game, it ctds

Usually the only times a texture can actually cause a CTD is for two reasons:

1. (Most likely case) The dimensions of the texture got expanded when it needs to remain exactly 1024x1024, or 2048x2048 if you upscale it.

(This probably would've happened when you added your image - make sure you never expand the canvas, just paste it in and resize, and make sure the dimensions are still 1024x1024 before you export)

or

2. The game isn't loading the texture because it can't find it (i.e. you changed the filename, moved it to a different folder, or didn't save it as a .dds)

I've added a bit about the texture dimensions to the guide now. I forgot that most people probably didn't know about that, apologies.

Edited by doragonmaid
2 hours ago, doragonmaid said:

Usually the only times a texture can actually cause a CTD is for two reasons:

1. (Most likely case) The dimensions of the texture got expanded when it needs to remain exactly 1024x1024, or 2048x2048 if you upscale it.

(This probably would've happened when you added your image - make sure you never expand the canvas, just paste it in and resize, and make sure the dimensions are still 1024x1024 before you export)

or

2. The game isn't loading the texture because it can't find it (i.e. you changed the filename, moved it to a different folder, or didn't save it as a .dds)

I've added a bit about the texture dimensions to the guide now. I forgot that most people probably didn't know about that, apologies.

Ah thank you for the help it was the dimensions being slightly off.

• 6 months later...