Presets with Mod Organizer 2

Hi.

I do not know if this is the correct forum for ask this, so if there is one can you say me please where is it?

I am using Mod Organizer 2. When i download a preset character, i almost never see in preset list. Sometimes yes sometimes not. I find in hard disk where are this presets, so i have a path. And i see at Mod Organizer 2 there is a "Path section". The question is wich one of the path list must i use for find the presets?

Greetings.

Look in your FO4 Mods folder.

Some modders making presets provide a path and some only the .json

This should get you in the right area.  If it is a new clean install and you don't have a particular folder, just make it yourself.  ;)

Complete path to my presets: 

Mods/Looksmenu/F4SE/Plugins/F4EE/Presets

Place .json files in the presets folder

It is not uncommon for looksmenu and bodyslide presets to not be in the correct file paths when uploaded, most people make sure they are but there are quite a few who never bother.

For a looksmenu preset, make sure the path for the preset is F4SE\Plugins\F4EE\Presets\presetname.json

For Bodyslide presets it is tools\bodyslide\SliderPresets\presetname.xlm

With the presetname being the name of whatever preset you have downloaded.

Change the directory paths in the indivdual mods for that preset you have installed or if you have installed all the presets into a custom preset location just drag and drop them in the mod into the correct locations.

Edited by Varithina

Can you believe i never open a folder manually in this game and i have several years. I follow your path and have no looksmenu folder and no folders after \mods\, so i open the others inside, and inside until end.

Find at nexus a Looksmenu face preset download and install, it worked fine, but i look at harddisk and is not at presets, is between \mods\ and \f4se\     LOL

Then find another preset i have in hardisk, and not see in creation characters, download, install automatic and not see, then install manual and not see it. Is not in presets. Before that i see in hard disk i have some of the path names with a mix spanish and english.

I am lucky i do not have very much presets, but must find all paths for all types of presets soon or some day i will become mad.

Greetings.

Edited by Hober9
7 minutes ago, Hober9 said:

Can you believe i never open a folder manually in this game and i have several years. I follow your path and have no folders after \mods\, so i open the others inside, and inside until end.

Find at nexus a Looksmenu face preset download and install, it worked fine, but i look at harddisk and is not at presets, is between \mods\ and \f4se\     LOL

Then find another preset i have in hardisk, and not see in creation characters, download, install automatic and not see, then install manual and not see it. is not in presets. Before that i see in hard disk i have some of the path names with a mix spanish and english.

I am lucky i do not have very much presets, but must find all paths for all types of presets soon or some day i will become mad.

Greetings.

Go onto your right pane, normally there is a list of esp and esm there, select the data tab, now on right pane, scroll down till f4Se is the top item on the list, the hit > next to the folder name, that should the open the folder tree up and now show, Plugins as a folder, click the > next to the plugins folder and it should open the folder tree up again, this should then show some more folders, and one of the should be F4EE, click > next to F4EE which opens even more folders up, one of these is Preset, click the > next to this and it will again open up the folder tree some more, it should also show all the working presets as .json files and further to the right of the screen it will show which mod aka left pane item they are coming from.

Now double click on one of the left pane non working presets, select the file tree tab, the inside that area left click and choose create new folder, name it using the right pane folder names as a guide, create new folders for each step show in the folder tree below F4SE, so create F4SE, then inside that create Plugins, then inside plugins create F4EE, then inside that create Preset, then move the .json file for the non working preset into the presets folder, then after doing this, click the close button, now do a refresh from the left panes spanner/screwdriver iconed bar just about it, left click on that and you should get a list of options one of them should be refresh, select that option, now on the right pane click on the refresh button, your non working preset, json should now be showing where the working presets are, rinse and repeat for each non working preset, you may also want to go and re archive the non working presets, so that now they will do so.

On 10/5/2023 at 4:50 PM, Varithina said:

It is not uncommon for looksmenu and bodyslide presets to not be in the correct file paths when uploaded, most people make sure they are but there are quite a few who never bother.

For a looksmenu preset, make sure the path for the preset is F4SE\Plugins\F4EE\Presets\presetname.json

For Bodyslide presets it is tools\bodyslide\SliderPresets\presetname.xlm

With the presetname being the name of whatever preset you have downloaded.

Change the directory paths in the indivdual mods for that preset you have installed or if you have installed all the presets into a custom preset location just drag and drop them in the mod into the correct locations.

I do all your steps but not success, but i think your list is valid. I will try again with next preset giving problems. I must rightclick for open new folder, you know :D

I start think i have so little presets and all working because i deleted those not working?

Thank you very much.

Hi.

This night i see i have 2 "Users" folders in my disk. The first, the folder i was using all time, with "Public" access. The second do not say "public" but have inside only all tree of folders until the .json file i try install the other day.

I think i must start study a little about install folders. Perhaps is better do not use manual install? Always i evade the mods or preset when say "you must copy manually this file and this one in your data folder".

Greetings.

Edited by Hober9
On 10/8/2023 at 5:46 AM, Hober9 said:

Hi.

This night i see i have 2 "Users" folders in my disk. The first, the folder i was using all time, with "Public" access. The second do not say "public" but have inside only all tree of folders until the .json file i try install the other day.

I think i must start study a little about install folders. Perhaps is better do not use manual install? Always i evade the mods or preset when say "you must copy manually this file and this one in your data folder".

Greetings.

Wait a minute, you are using mo2 and and installing mods manually? Never ever do that apart from f4se, and a couple of other mods everything should get installed through mo2, and each mod should in effect be a new item on the left hand side pane, chances are that is what is causing you issues.

Also non of the mods installed under mo2 should be anywhere near your user directory, that should be the place for saves and a few other odds and sods that are auto generated by the game and placed there by the game and a few utilities, even your ini files are in the mo2 profiles directory not the users directory, again this could be why you are having issues.

2 hours ago, Varithina said:

Wait a minute, you are using mo2 and and installing mods manually? Never ever do that apart from f4se, and a couple of other mods everything should get installed through mo2, and each mod should in effect be a new item on the left hand side pane, chances are that is what is causing you issues.

Also non of the mods installed under mo2 should be anywhere near your user directory, that should be the place for saves and a few other odds and sods that are auto generated by the game and placed there by the game and a few utilities, even your ini files are in the mo2 profiles directory not the users directory, again this could be why you are having issues.

Thank you. I will check it.

On 10/11/2023 at 8:52 AM, Varithina said:

Default behaviour for a MO2 Global instance jams everything into your User/AppData folder; which is just terrible for any number of reasons but if you don't know about it, and don't look any deeper, then it can happen. Best practice these days is to just avoid your c drive entirely if you can. 

4 hours ago, Solissix said:

Default behaviour for a MO2 Global instance jams everything into your User/AppData folder; which is just terrible for any number of reasons but if you don't know about it, and don't look any deeper, then it can happen. Best practice these days is to just avoid your c drive entirely if you can. 

It does?, mine never has but there again , all my installs are portable installs so that could be why it dose not do that.

10 minutes ago, Varithina said:

all my installs are portable installs

And you are much, much, better off for doing it that way! I just spent the last 48 hours re installing everything because my global instance somehow got fucked up beyond all recognition. I was doing some file clean up and thought having just one instance of MO2 instead of a bunch of portables might be the way to go. I was wary because I knew it did install to user directory, but thought as long as I took pre cautions it would be alright. 

It was a bit...buggy at first, but after some tweaking, everything seemed to be working alright so I didn't think anything of it. Fast forward three weeks; it's been stable enough I decide to remove my old portable back up instances. Fast forward another week, boot up the old war horse for a quick session, and nope. Can't even get FO4 to run, memory access violations. Weird, start looking through my mods; a good third of them have broken file directories and MO2's meta data is corrupted. I still have no idea why or how this happened; the worst part being I know better then to install anything to the protected directories.

I'm not really sure why they even have global instance any more; I assume it installs to users because that is the only way to effectively control multiple games through one MO2 install. However, given the way modern oss protect the default directories; it just seems like a recipe for disaster. I went the extra mile too, whitelist exceptions, admin privileges, etc. and it still bit me in the ass in the end. 

7 hours ago, Solissix said:

I'm not really sure why they even have global instance any more; I assume it installs to users because that is the only way to effectively control multiple games through one MO2 install. However, given the way modern oss protect the default directories; it just seems like a recipe for disaster. I went the extra mile too, whitelist exceptions, admin privileges, etc. and it still bit me in the ass in the end. 

Not too sure if they still do, but at one point even the devs of mo2 pretty much stated you should only use portable for the installs and there were problems with the other type, sure it means you end up with one install of mo2 for every game you are running that it manages, but well it the is pretty much hard to fuck it up, it can happen I have had even portable installs break games for no apparent reason, but it is not common.