The game missing

To be fair, they sort of touched on this in one of the sidequests, and a bit of it is logic as well. Basically, environments are very carefully balanced things. Introducing new species tends to have one of two outcomes: either the new species cannot adapt to its new environment, and dies out, or it adapts too well and pushes out local species, which can have serious ecological consequences depending on which species are affected and what niche the new species fits into.

So you can't just bring Earth animal to New Atlantis, and even then, remember that most early colonies were on places like Mars or Europa anyway, which would have been totally inhospitable to Earth fauna.

Vor 26 Minuten sagte Nindran:

Warum gibt es dort Obst und Gemüse auf der Erde? Dann ist ein Teil von Terraform der Versuch, Planeten wie Erde so zu gestalten, dass auf ihr Tiere auf der Erde leben. Wie Vieh 

What earth are you always talking about?

The earth in the game that I play is -> dead and extinct.

nothing of the ecosystem has survived - if you find fruits and vegetables occasionally they are products of pure greenhouse cultures - so nothing with "grown in natural environment".

The main focus of food production for the pitiful remnants of humanity that survived their near extinction has long been on the use of local aka "alien" sources of plant as well as animal food.

Why save animals from Earth - when over 90% of humans could NOT be relocated/evacuated.

Yes - maybe a few super rich people took their "pocket rats" on their private space yachts.

Terraform as soon we could reach mars this begin

Mar 50 year to terraform

Venus 200 years

It like someone understands nothing about science or space travel or the concept that been talk about the last 20 years like build cities on cloud  on Venus or Elon even suggest fire nuke at Mars polar ice cap decide to make a science fiction video game 

Edited by Nindran
Am 14.09.2023 um 22:38 Uhr sagte Nindran:

Terraform, sobald wir den Mars erreichen könnten, beginnt

50. März Jahr zum Terraformieren

Venus 200 Jahre

Es ist, als ob jemand nichts von Wissenschaft oder Raumfahrt versteht oder von dem Konzept, über das in den letzten 20 Jahren gesprochen wurde, wie zum Beispiel Städte auf Wolken auf der Venus zu bauen oder Elon sogar vorschlägt, eine Atombombe auf die Polareiskappe des Mars abzufeuern, und sich dazu entschließt, ein Science-Fiction-Videospiel zu machen 

And someone who knows even less (about terraforming) criticises the game in this aspect.

?

When they mention the proposal of the complete idiot Elon Musk ... how many nuclear bombs are needed to melt the polar ice caps of Mars?

Just one won't get you ... not very far ... and then you have radioactively tempted water ... totally horrible.

If you want to mention SFi that has taken up this topic -> The Mars Trilogy by "Kim Stanley Robinson".

(consists of "Red Mars" - "Green Mars" and "Blue Mars" ... covers a period of about 1000 years)

For reference:

Mars, which is much smaller, cannot accommodate more than 1-2 billion people ... without collapsing the ecosystem it has just built up.

And now you -> What do you propose for the other 9 billion people still waiting for a new home on Earth?

A Noel ark ship would a interest dlc add to game f

4 hours ago, Miauzi said:

And someone who knows even less (about terraforming) criticises the game in this aspect.

?

When they mention the proposal of the complete idiot Elon Musk ... how many nuclear bombs are needed to melt the polar ice caps of Mars?

Just one won't get you ... not very far ... and then you have radioactively tempted water ... totally horrible.

If you want to mention SFi that has taken up this topic -> The Mars Trilogy by "Kim Stanley Robinson".

(consists of "Red Mars" - "Green Mars" and "Blue Mars" ... covers a period of about 1000 years)

For reference:

Mars, which is much smaller, cannot accommodate more than 1-2 billion people ... without collapsing the ecosystem it has just built up.

And now you -> What do you propose for the other 9 billion people still waiting for a new home on Earth?

First off the the use CO2 is important second sir we are talk about science fiction universe. If fact we might see terriform of mars  in are life time. Second Elon musk a man studied rocket science who is one of richest men in world right now 

Edited by Nindran
34 minutes ago, Nindran said:

A Noel ark ship would a interest dlc add to game f

First off the the use CO2 is important second sir we are talk about science fiction universe. If fact we might see terriform of mars  in are life time. Second Elon musk a man studied rocket science who is one of richest men in world right now 

I think you are confusing 'Terraforming' with 'Building an enclosed habitat'

Terraforming Mars would take centuries - you have to change the ecology of an entire planet from 'may as well be vacuum CO2 atmosphere with essentially a dead planetary core' to

'spinning molten core so we have a magnetic field (thus creating protection from solar radiation) and 21% O2 atmosphere at a density to support human life'

oh, and bring up the mean temperature to a level above 'acute hypothermia and frostbite in seconds' to 'tolerable'

Building an enclosed habitat? Yes, that is doable in our lifetime.

And for the record, Elon Musk did not study rocket science - he has a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Physics and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics. He has ideas for space, but he pays other people to actually develop what is needed to realize those ideas.

Vor einer Stunde sagte Nindran:

Ein Noel-Arche-Schiff wäre ein interessanter DLC, der Spiel F hinzufügt

Erstens ist die Verwendung von CO2 wichtig, zweitens sprechen wir über ein Science-Fiction-Universum. Wenn es tatsächlich so ist, könnten wir in unserem Leben eine Riesenform des Mars sehen. Zweitens: Elon Musk, ein Mann, der Raketenwissenschaft studiert hat und derzeit einer der reichsten Männer der Welt ist 

Mr Musk has certainly NOT studied space technology... He doesn't have to - he runs a company that does space travel - the expertise is bought in.

But Mr Musk is known for telling a lot of nonsense all day long ... his investors may believe these fairy tales.

And it is exactly these people who make Mr Musk a seemingly rich man - because only the stock market price of his company shares serves as a "wealth" basis ... not the meagre profits he makes by selling the few e-cars he produces.

But you seem to come from a world in which one is automatically right in Mars terraforming if one was either born rich or became rich by means of shares.

And one more word about SF ... there is the word -> "science" in it ... otherwise they would be pure fairy tales.

In a lot of what is thrown at you as SF (see also this game) there is very little to nothing of "science" in it - but a lot of fairy tales.

Vor 1 Stunde sagte IBAGadget:

Ich glaube, Sie verwechseln „Terraforming“ mit „Bau eines geschlossenen Lebensraums“.

Die Terraformierung des Mars würde Jahrhunderte dauern – man muss die Ökologie eines gesamten Planeten von „kann genauso gut eine Vakuum-CO2-Atmosphäre mit im Wesentlichen totem Planetenkern sein“ zu ändern

„Rotierender geschmolzener Kern, so dass wir ein Magnetfeld haben (und so Schutz vor Sonnenstrahlung schaffen) und eine 21 % O2-Atmosphäre mit einer Dichte, die menschliches Leben unterstützt“

Oh, und erhöhen Sie die Durchschnittstemperatur auf einen Wert über „akute Unterkühlung und Erfrierungen in Sekunden“ auf „erträglich“.

Einen geschlossenen Lebensraum bauen? Ja, das ist zu unseren Lebzeiten machbar.

Und um es festzuhalten: Elon Musk hat keine Raketenwissenschaft studiert – er hat einen Bachelor of Arts in Physik und einen Bachelor of Science in Wirtschaftswissenschaften. Er hat Ideen für den Weltraum, aber er bezahlt andere Menschen dafür, dass sie tatsächlich das entwickeln, was zur Verwirklichung dieser Ideen erforderlich ist.

In her triology, Kim Stanley Robinson, whom I mentioned, presented a very comprehensive, technically and scientifically well-founded working theory for the "terraforming" of Mars.

She deliberately does without a complete "second Earth" (political or ecological background) - which then means for the Martian inhabitants that they have to adapt to the significantly higher CO2 content of the Martian atmosphere through "gene therapy" ... which has a lower density than that of the Earth.

Anyway, those born on Mars are adapted to a lower gravity anyway and can only visit Earth for a certain time by means of technical aids.

Since humans no longer live on a planet with uniform conditions such as gravity or air pressure (along with oxygen content, etc.) ... they will differentiate more biologically ... whether in a "natural" way through adaptation or in an "artificial" way through genetic engineering or embryo genesis.

6 hours ago, IBAGadget said:

Terraforming Mars would take centuries - you have to change the ecology of an entire planet from 'may as well be vacuum CO2 atmosphere with essentially a dead planetary core' to 'spinning molten core so we have a magnetic field (thus creating protection from solar radiation) and 21% O2 atmosphere at a density to support human life'

Centuries is probably extremely optimistic, too. There isn't anywhere enough sources of CO2 and H2O on the planet to build anywhere near enough atmospheric pressure to support any kind of human life. Totaling up all possible sources, you could get about 7% of the pressure of earth from those sources. So you'd need to somehow get thousands of comets and asteroids crashed into the planet. We don't have the technology, and there is currently no path available to get to the technology necessary to do this.

So, yeah, as you say, enclosed habitats are the only thing that is going to be possible for a long, long time.  And perhaps that's all that will ever be possible.

6 hours ago, Miauzi said:

In her triology, Kim Stanley Robinson, whom I mentioned, presented a very comprehensive, technically and scientifically well-founded working theory for the "terraforming" of Mars.

She deliberately does without a complete "second Earth" (political or ecological background) - which then means for the Martian inhabitants that they have to adapt to the significantly higher CO2 content of the Martian atmosphere through "gene therapy" ... which has a lower density than that of the Earth.

Anyway, those born on Mars are adapted to a lower gravity anyway and can only visit Earth for a certain time by means of technical aids.

Since humans no longer live on a planet with uniform conditions such as gravity or air pressure (along with oxygen content, etc.) ... they will differentiate more biologically ... whether in a "natural" way through adaptation or in an "artificial" way through genetic engineering or embryo genesis.

Yep. Awesome series. I have the complete set in my library, along with a couple other of her books.

Vor 2 Stunden sagte Pashax:

„Centuries“ ist wahrscheinlich auch äußerst optimistisch. Es gibt nirgendwo auf dem Planeten genügend CO2- und H2O-Quellen, um auch nur annähernd genug Atmosphärendruck aufzubauen, um menschliches Leben zu ermöglichen. Wenn man alle möglichen Quellen zusammenzählt, könnte man etwa 7 % des Erddrucks aus diesen Quellen beziehen. Man müsste also irgendwie dafür sorgen, dass Tausende von Kometen und Asteroiden auf den Planeten stürzen. Wir verfügen nicht über die Technologie, und es gibt derzeit keinen Weg, an die dafür erforderliche Technologie zu gelangen.

Also, ja, wie Sie sagen, sind geschlossene Lebensräume das Einzige, was auf lange, lange Zeit möglich sein wird. Und vielleicht ist das alles, was jemals möglich sein wird.

I can only recommend that you read the triology I mentioned - even if it takes many weeks or months.

But it is worth it - because the author shows comprehensively how to start with today's technologies and how to use them as a basis for further development that will last for centuries.

This includes not only the de-carbonisation of planetary rock - which releases CO2 - but also the targeted use of water-ice from asteroids.

Apart from this - large quantities of fossil water are suspected today in the depths of the upper rock layers ... which are "thawed" and brought to the surface.

200 years is reasonable for Venus. I remember seeing the proposal decades ago, well before Elon Musk got involved. Apparently the plan is to seed the upper atmosphere with algae. The upper reaches are pretty much earthlike, and as the algae photosynthesize, they break down the CO2 and replace it with O2. That reduces the greenhouse effect from all the CO2 in the atmosphere, and the O2 reacts with some of the more unpleasant chemicals in the lower atmosphere. The habitable shell of atmosphere gets wider, the algae do their thing lower in the atmosphere and the process continues.

No one's tried it because it's hideously expensive for a planet we can't easily reach and which won't pay dividends for a couple of centuries, But with Settled Systems tech, you'd think someone would be at least trying it.

(Also, very much in favor of bringing back dogs. There must be tons of genetic material they can use for cloning).

Edited by DocClox
Vor einer Stunde sagte DocClox:

Für die Venus sind 200 Jahre angemessen. Ich erinnere mich, dass ich den Vorschlag vor Jahrzehnten gesehen habe, lange bevor Elon Musk sich engagierte. Offenbar ist geplant, die obere Atmosphäre mit Algen zu besiedeln. Der Oberlauf ähnelt weitgehend der Erde, und während die Algen Photosynthese betreiben, bauen sie das CO2 ab und ersetzen es durch O2. Dadurch wird der Treibhauseffekt des gesamten CO2 in der Atmosphäre verringert, und das O2 reagiert mit einigen der unangenehmeren Chemikalien in der unteren Atmosphäre. Die bewohnbare Hülle der Atmosphäre wird breiter, die Algen vermehren sich tiefer in der Atmosphäre und der Prozess geht weiter.

Niemand hat es versucht, weil es furchtbar teuer ist für einen Planeten, den wir nicht leicht erreichen können und der sich erst in ein paar Jahrhunderten auszahlen wird. Aber mit der Technologie von Settled Systems würde man meinen, dass jemand es zumindest versuchen würde.

(Außerdem sind sie sehr dafür, Hunde zurückzubringen. Es müssen Unmengen an genetischem Material vorhanden sein, das sie zum Klonen verwenden können.)

Well - it's actually easier to give the moon a breathable atmosphere ... than to free Venus from CO2 with the help of algae.

These cloud layers ... contain mainly sulphuric acid ... which is not good for the algae at all.

In addition, they do not contain very much water ... so from a purely mass point of view, this project doesn't work.

There are many rocks on earth - some of them contain chemically bound CO2 -> carbonates.

if we were to release them all ... we would have an atmosphere similar to Venus ... namely far more than 96% CO2 and about 100 times the current atmospheric pressure.

It is not photo-synthesis that leads to the goal - it cannot do so because of the geological quantity balances ... but the CO2 must be bound as rock -> carbonisation!

26 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

These cloud layers ... contain mainly sulphuric acid ... which is not good for the algae at all.

That's the thing: the upper layers are, apparently, just water vapor. The H2SO4 doesn't start until lower in the atmosphere, and it breaks down when there's enough oxygen to react with. Then the water vapor layer gets wider.

28 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

In addition, they do not contain very much water ... so from a purely mass point of view, this project doesn't work.

If you say so - I've never been there myself.

Vor 8 Minuten sagte DocClox:

Das ist die Sache: Die oberen Schichten bestehen offenbar nur aus Wasserdampf. H2SO4 entsteht erst tiefer in der Atmosphäre und zerfällt, wenn genügend Sauerstoff für die Reaktion vorhanden ist. Dann wird die Wasserdampfschicht breiter.

Wenn Sie das sagen – ich war selbst noch nie dort.

Oh - what an argument.

*facepalm*

So you always have to be there PERSONALLY to know what it's like.

Funny - so far no human has been PERSONALLY on Mars ... and yet scientists have a good overview of what it looks like on it.

Maybe you don't know it yet ... but the Soviet Union had been exploring Venus with unmanned probes since the 1960s ... eventually succeeding not only in soft landing on its surface but also in transmitting images.

And of course it has been possible BEFORE the year 2000 - to investigate the atmosphere of a planet by probes penetrating it!

On 9/19/2023 at 12:09 PM, Miauzi said:

So you always have to be there PERSONALLY to know what it's like.

I'm simply admitting my ignorance of any authoritative evidence regarding the composition of Venus' upper atmosphere.

So if you're going to take that tone, now is the time for you to either cite the evidence you apparently have in abundance, or admit that you're talking out of your arse and know no more than I do on the subject.

Your move.

Edited by DocClox

I not I believe earth would a waste yes maybe with big companies like bethsadi not care about the forest and ocean or apple make claim destroy all CO2 I could be convinced. But there enough people want protect the nature environment like huge park and work naturally wood and forest.

On 9/21/2023 at 6:56 AM, DocClox said:

I'm simply admitting my ignorance of any authoritative evidence regarding the composition of Venus' upper atmosphere.

So if you're going to take that tone, now is the time for you to either cite the evidence you apparently have in abundance, or admit that you're talking out of your arse and know no more than I do on the subject.

Your move.

I have always found it interesting we treat hypotheses as facts. The truth of the matter is we as humans, don't know any thing about other planets or solar systems ... hell, we haven't even explored 100% of our own planet. Pluto was "discovered" in the 1930s, becoming the 9th planet. Then in the early 2000s, Pluto was declared a dwarf planet. So far we have 5 dwarf planets, 3 having moons and 2 thought to be made of "water". Yet Mercury is still considered a planet, it has no moons or water and is similar in size to the other dwarf planets. 4 other "planets" are made up of nothing but gas. Again, we as humans, don't know shit but we think we got it all figured out. I have 6 books on the solar system, printed 5 to 10 years apart. All of them commonly state that Venus has a highly acidic atmosphere, rains sulfuric acid and has a surface gravity between 60 to 100 times that of earth's. For prospective, pressure increases by 1 for very 30 to 35 feet under water you go. I do not trust anything the Russian or Chinese space agencies claim, hell, I don't even trust a thing NASA says. These are the same geniuses who thought it was a good idea to plunge a spark plug into Jupiter, a "planet" that was just a few mass % points away from becoming a star.

So in the end, yeah, we need to be there to do the research. But hey, we have all the science figure out on earth right. Placing temperature probes on air field tarmacs to rate the earth average temperature. Taking low tide readings one month, than high tide readings the next, then claim the oceans rising. Per the sciences, I should be dead 4 times over by now from global cooling, global warming or the ever popular "CLIMATE CHANGE". At the end of the day we are arguing over pieces of propaganda construed as facts and truth.