Starfield Combat/Stealth upgrade?

I've tried a few mods (less spongy, realistic damage) and everything still seems pretty spongy. I know CK isn't out yet, but I was curious if anyone has any leads on combat style mods yet that seem to work well or has managed to make enemies not take 100 rounds to kill? Also, I walked up and knifed someone and took MAYBE 20% health and then all enemies became alerted. Was wondering if anyone has found ways to make stealth/melee a bit more viable?

These are probably my biggest issues. Combat just seems long and drawn out.

not used mods yet to correct this.

Thing is that I have noticed that when enemies are soaking a lot of hits it usually means that I should change from ballistic over to lasers or partial or em weapoms.

There are several damage types.

Humans can have resistance to ballistic or lasers.  Common human enemy type has one or other.

Switch weapon and as long as you are actually proficient in it will cut right through them

1 hour ago, Gameplayer said:

not used mods yet to correct this.

Thing is that I have noticed that when enemies are soaking a lot of hits it usually means that I should change from ballistic over to lasers or partial or em weapoms.

There are several damage types.

Humans can have resistance to ballistic or lasers.  Common human enemy type has one or other.

Switch weapon and as long as you are actually proficient in it will cut right through them

I'll try and pay more attention to that. I certainly tend to move around weapons because of running out of ammo of one type and needing to carrying 7 on me so I know I can sort through a fight. It almost feels like the game was developed as a sandbox to mod actual gameplay into. I mean, Bethesda games are clearly known from the mod community, but I never felt one of their titles were just lacking in aspects as if this was going to be required to make an actual game.

I just remembered eclipse are venerable to ballistic,

Crimson seem to be easier to cut down with lasers.

I basically put points into the general skills in tier one for those weapons an have been fine.  Just swap the weapon to other type an good.

Later we get EM and I think particle beams.  Explosion damage may actually be a separate damage type.

Looked through combat tree, an what I saw was that u can overlap a lot of skills that end up getting you too 100 percent damage but that is a heavy investment of points.

I probably went overboard on ship skills, while in the long run you ship can be built to be op.