Create PC from Custom Companion

over16bit

Hello!

My inquiry is as the title states; how can I create a player character out of a custom companion? So let's say that one finds a cool custom companion on the Nexus or something and wants to use it as their own player character. How would one go about doing that? Is it even possible?

I'm asking because I searched around and came across two problems;

1) There were, quite literally, a few threads that I was able to find through Google; none of them helped and all but one of them ended abruptly without the solution being found (that was shared on the thread, anyway) or ends with that guy who feels like he has to chip in by saying 'liek, omg! seconded lol'.

2) The only thread that did help somewhat linked to an article (at this link) that didn't work out in the end; all I got was the basic shape of the head with none of the details, a bald head and no eyes.

I think the problem comes when the companions have their own meshes or something; example, the Seranaholic mod. While that's not the one I want to use, it's a good example of what I'm trying to say. So is it possible, when the companion has custom meshes/textures/whatever to be able to make them a player character? I'd really like to find out once and for all because I can't make them a preset through the conventional method, I can't control them to make a preset through the Alternate Actors mod, I can't get the Mimc plugin for RaceMenu to work (and even if I could, I doubt it'd work, anyway) and I'm all out of ideas here. I just want my mind to be at rest; at least if I know it's not possible, I can stop worrying about it and just move on. I'm hoping that there's a way, but at the end of the day, I just want a clear answer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Its possible but time consuming... but the textures ( I think) may alter the entire race. But you can use a combination of Unique Character mod from the nexus for textures and make the custom character you want into a preset in the ck under whatever race you want to represent by altering the characters esp file. That should work.

Doesn't the racemenu by expired have this function? Lemme check...

RaceMenuMimic.esp (Optional) Not recommended for cross-gender, cross-species, or horse-mounted use.

• Copies target Actor's facial morphs to player
  • Copies target Actor's facial presets to player
  • Copies target Actor's hair to player
  • Copies target Actor's hair color to player
  • Copies target Actor's facial hair to player
  • Copies target Actor's scars to player
  • Copies target Actor's eyebrows to player
  • Must be equipped via console (e.g. help "Face Copy" player.equipspell XXXXXXXX left)

You just need that plugin and can easily do what you want.

Good luck.

EDIT : sorry forgot to include a link.

HERE YA GO.

Thank you for this post. I did some research and it has sent me in the right direction just trying to figure it out in full. Any advice? Sorry kind of a mod newb. Not really good at advance commands such as this.

Edit I found this while doing some research.

SavePCFace FileName (obviously, file name means you have to give it a name XD). This will save a file by the name of Filename.npc. Load the CK, create a character and go to facegenparts. Import your .npc file and there you go! All yours!

Just need to find out what the CK means then I think I'll be all set.

Doesn't the racemenu by expired have this function? Lemme check...

RaceMenuMimic.esp (Optional) Not recommended for cross-gender, cross-species, or horse-mounted use.

• Copies target Actor's facial morphs to player
  • Copies target Actor's facial presets to player
  • Copies target Actor's hair to player
  • Copies target Actor's hair color to player
  • Copies target Actor's facial hair to player
  • Copies target Actor's scars to player
  • Copies target Actor's eyebrows to player
  • Must be equipped via console (e.g. help "Face Copy" player.equipspell XXXXXXXX left)

You just need that plugin and can easily do what you want.

Good luck.

EDIT : sorry forgot to include a link.

HERE YA GO.

Thank you for the reply. DId some more research and since I am using racemenu mod I think that method would be easier for me given my knowledge with mods. If all else fails I will follow the steps of the creation kit. Just need to figure out the ID code for my character. Only thing I got was when I use the showracemenu command and I click it shows this ID: 00000014.

Edit: Just figured it out. The NPC is dumb as a post and constantly calls me Skeever Butt but I am in the right direction. lol

Just need to find out what the CK means then I think I'll be all set.

Creation Kit

http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/184-the-creation-kit/

Hello!

I have already mentioned that I have the RaceMenu Mimic plug-in but I couldn't get it to work.  I have since made it work, but I've come across another problem;

The problem is that the morphs don't transfer over, just the basic shape of everything.  So, kind of similar to the first point in my OP.  So you get an overall look of the character, but it's not them because their details are not there.  Example: one would use, oh, I don't know, let's say mouth type 3.  But within mouth type 3, they (being the original creator of the companion) start using the RaceMenu or something to further make edits to the mouth so it looks different (ie, thicker lips, raised/lowered corners, what-have-you).  So it copys over mouth type 3 alright, but it doesn't copy over its details.

I think the only way to get it to work is the time-consuming process.  If someone could point me to an article or something that explains this process, it'd be much appreciated.  The only way I can think of to make it work (that is time-consuming) is to take the custom character, completely re-rig it and make a custom race out of it.  Unless one can explain how Unique Character mod could negate this, that's the only other way, in which I'd love to be pointed to an article on how to do this.  I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

What say you?

I was going to make a post about the same thing but reversed. I want to make a character I created into a companion. Would anyone know where I would start and how to do this? ANy advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Go ingame, make your character, done? Open the console with tilde (as it should be usually) and type : savepcface "thenameyouwannagivetoyourfile" or spf "thenameyouwannagivetoyourfile".

This will create a file by the name of thenameyouwannagivetoyourfile.NPC in your skyrim folder. The file should be located somewhere in the textures folder if i remind correctly. If so it is and you have the file in your hand take a rbeak and smoke a cigarette...

Back? Good! Now, open the CK, create an NPC, go to facegensomething where you make the faces of the NPCs in the CK, IMPORT FACEGEN FILE or something like that, choose your latest .npc file, TA-DA! MAGIC! Yes yes, love you too!

Have a nice day, and kudos for me biggrin.gif

Edited by TheDarkPrince, 28 April 2012 - 08:16 PM.

Hello!

I have already mentioned that I have the RaceMenu Mimic plug-in but I couldn't get it to work.  I have since made it work, but I've come across another problem;

The problem is that the morphs don't transfer over, just the basic shape of everything.  So, kind of similar to the first point in my OP.  So you get an overall look of the character, but it's not them because their details are not there.  Example: one would use, oh, I don't know, let's say mouth type 3.  But within mouth type 3, they (being the original creator of the companion) start using the RaceMenu or something to further make edits to the mouth so it looks different (ie, thicker lips, raised/lowered corners, what-have-you).  So it copys over mouth type 3 alright, but it doesn't copy over its details.

I think the only way to get it to work is the time-consuming process.  If someone could point me to an article or something that explains this process, it'd be much appreciated.  The only way I can think of to make it work (that is time-consuming) is to take the custom character, completely re-rig it and make a custom race out of it.  Unless one can explain how Unique Character mod could negate this, that's the only other way, in which I'd love to be pointed to an article on how to do this.  I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

What say you?

Yep it will be time consuming getting the textures and meshes the same will be time consuming.  What you will have to do is copy all the texture files that the custom character is using into the proper folder of the race you have set the custom character's race to be in the CK. Do the same thing for the meshes. then in the CK add the selected character as a facial preset by checking the first box in Actor's menu. Link

Edit: i'll do it for a custom character and post the zip here 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived