Black Screen (Loading) and Freezes (Console or SkyUI Search)

Aiko

Hello Guys :)

beside the infinite Loadings Screen (sometimes) and some CTDs (rarely) i've got 2 other really annoying problems with my game.

1. After Loading (Fast Travel, Entering a City or Building) i get sometimes stuck on a black screen. It seem like skyrim has finished loading (i can hear everything - NPC talking to me, music from the bard) but the black screen doesn't dissapear.

2. When deleting letters in the console or searchbar of SkyUI, it get a 3-5 Seconds freeze/lag before it's deleting it. 

Sorry for my really bad english.. LoverLab or Skyrim Nexus are the only places where i need to use this language.. ^^

If you have an old ENB the key "Backspace" will reset the ENB Configuration to the one saved in your files. That will freeze your game for a few seconds until it loads and reset all the ENB config thing. It can be fixed by updating your ENB to the latest ones

Not sure about the black screen problem though.

I would get the black screen after loading every now and then, but it seems to be cropping up more often since I've been using the HDT physics extension. It hasn't been that big of deal for me. Restarting the game and loading the autosave loads up the game just fine for me and I have not seen any detrimental effects.

I still need help with the black screen after loading issue... :/

Loadorder

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
ApachiiHairFemales.esm
AzarHair.esm
RaceCompatibility.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
SPERG.esm
SPIKE.esm
WinterholdDestruction.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
USKP Patcher for RaceCompatibility.esp
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
DW Commoners.esp
DW Enemies and Wanderers.esp
SplashofRain.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Sound.esp
LIAT - Sounds.esp
Remove Interior Fog V2 - Full Version.esp
skyrimsoundtrackexpansion.esp
Skyrim Shadow Striping Fix.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp
NS_HuntingGroundsOutfit.esp
LIAT - NPCs.esp
Book Covers Skyrim.esp
Book Covers Dawnguard.esp
Book Covers Hearthfire.esp
Book Covers Dragonborn.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
Statues.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
SkyUI.esp
LessIntrusiveHUD.esp
Cloaks.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
Crossbows_Basic_Collection_EN_LL.esp
hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
Kaw's Cat Disguise.esp
Remodeled Armor - Vanilla Replacer.esp
Remodeled Armor - Vanilla Replacer - Dawnguard.esp
Remodeled Armor - Vanilla Replacer - Dragonborn.esp
Remodeled Armor - Underwear.esp
stormcloakrobes.esp
IA6npc01.esp
HarvestOverhaulDawnguardDragonborn.esp
HarvestOverhaulSalmonRoe.esp
HarvestOverhaulCreaturesDawnguardHearthfireDragonborn.esp
Gildergreen Regrown.esp
Thunderchild - Epic Shout Package.esp
Thunderchild - Dragon Language Words Patch.esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ammo.esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Books.esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Food (Light Weight).esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ingredients.esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Miscellaneous.esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Potions (Light Weight).esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Soul Gems (PseudoVanilla).esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Spells.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
VariousGuardReplacer.esp
ExpandedWinterholdRuins.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ELFX - Dawnguard.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
prod80_CoT_patch.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
WeatherMaster.esp
ShowRaceMenuAlternative.esp
The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp
ArmorPerkHelmetRemover.esp
SPERG.esp
SPERG-DG.esp
SPERG-DB.esp
SGHairPack05.esp
SGHairPack04.esp
SGHairPack03.esp
SGHairPack02.esp
SGHairPack01.esp
SGHairPack06.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp
KhajiitChildren.esp
CharacterMakingExtender.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
EnhancedCharacterEdit.esp
WATER.esp
WATER Plants.esp
WATER DG.esp
WATER DB Waves.esp
BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
BecomeKingofSkyrim.esp
SBF All In One + DLC.esp
SKpaints2.esp
Longer Days CoT - 4 Hours - Dawnguard.esp

Texture Mods except the HD Texture Pack from Bethesda:

2k Texture Pack

All Textures (DDS) are compressed with SMCO. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13529/?

First off, don't ever use auto-saves. the autosaving function in bethsoft games is a well known no-no. Disable all functions of auto saving if you haven't already.

Secondly you could be passing your vRAM limit (VIDEO RAM -- not your PC ram. The ram on your video card) or you could be hitting the hardcap of 3.1GB

If you have anything under 2GB vRam I highly suggest deleting some 4096 textures (or replace them with 2048 ones or even better, 1024 ones). I would also recommend lowering shadows from 4096 to 2048 (or 1024 -- they'll look like shit, but the infinite loading screen/black screen will be very rare)

How much vRam do you have? Also what is your video card? Also, are you suprassing the 3.1GB hard-cap? lastly: any junk lines in your ini?

Guest carywinton

Honesty gave some of the exact suggestions I would have, also I would add set your operating system for as much performance as you can get, this is done by "right clicking" Computer on your desktop, then choose properties. Go to the "Advanced" tab and select the "Settings" button in the Performance box area, click the circle next to "Adjust for best performance". Once you have a small black dot in that circle, just click "OK" all the way back out to your desktop. You may also want to reboot to have it refresh all these settings. You would be surprised how much you loose with the Aero Desktop and some other "pretty" features Windows Operating Systems take. If you are running some other OS, like Linux or Mac I can try to help you optimize those too.

I don't use auto or quicksave.

I don't have any 4096 texture installed.. mostly because my HD 6870 only have 1GB Vram :(

That's why i'm only using the Bethesda High Res Pack + 2k Texture Pack + SFO (which uses mostly 512 or 1024 textures) + SMCO to compress all DDS to DXT 5 or DXT1.

Actually the Shadows are the only thing on 4096 'cause i hate if they are blocky - yes i know that this will hit the perfomance "hard".

i don't think that there are any "junk" lines in my ini file.. i just added what the mod offers requestet. btw. i'm using the "Full" Version (removed DoF and Ambient Occlusion) of RealVision with the v13.7.13 ENB Series.

Is there a option to toggle these perfomance option for windows only if i'm playing skyrim?

i know from old versions of WATER and SFO, that they could lead to an infinite loading screen, due to oversized LOD textures.

Maybe it's worth a try, disabling all texture intensive mods and see if it solved it.

if it solved it, run SMCO again and let it shrink all textures >2048 shrink down to 2048. in case of 1GB graphic RAM, limit the texture size to 1024.

As for AutoSave and QuickSave: Beth stated, that both functions do extactly the same as saving manually to a new slot. This statement was done after the last patch, so i started using QuickSave again and got no problem with it. Only problem are AutoSaves that are created when switching between interior and exterior, but that's no fault of the savegame itself, more of the game engine, so disabling those is still recommended as they can lead to a ctd upon creating the AutoSave.

I already overlocked my GPU :)

Still waiting on the release of the new AMD Card.. can't decide between GTX 780 and the new AMD R9 290X. So new GPU Nov/Dec 2013.. 

I'm using the newest version of SFO and W.A.T.E.R. I talked with the mod offers and they told me that everything should be fine with them.

Set Windows on "performance Mode" gave me a huge performance boost for skyrim.. so thanks for this hint ;)

My CPU i an Intel i5 2500k. (3.3 Ghz x4)

i was more talking about texture mods or mods that add textures in general.

i know for certain, that WATER leads to looping loading screens in some mod combinations, why i switched over to PureWaters.

So i still recommend disabling all texture mods and mods that add new textures.

This is not the right thread, but i suggest you wait, as ATi introduces MANTEL, rendering DirectX and OpenGL obsolete, the more companies use it, as this APi allows direct coding on the hardware, as you know it from consoles. Just look at GTA V. Who would have thought that the old 360 would be able to run something like that? Looking furthermore at the SteamBox and the poor OpenGL integration in Linux, MANTEL (which is open, so even nVidia can use it, even tho their GPU architecture is still to old and based on cores for an proprietary language and an outdated physics system) will be the way to go. The Frostbite engine (pretty wide spread, together with the poorly programmed Unreal engine) will be available with direct support for it at the launch of ATis new GPU series. So seeing that even OpenCL, CUDA and PhysX can become obsolete as well and Bullet Physics (best physics system available, with CUDA, PhysX and OpenCL support) becoming more wide spread, BP MANTEL and MANTEL on Linux will save us all a hell lot of money, removing the BottleNeck programers are fighting with for years now, making furture games looking even better and finally benefitting from the performance plus a PC has over a console.

if Rockstar is smart enough, they port GTA V to MANTEL and release the game at the launch of ATis new GPU series, as i'm sure MANTEL will have similarities to the APi, the ATi GPUs use in the 360, XBONE and PS4. Even opens the possibility for 360 emulators.

Nice post, CGi.

This is alll rather interesting ... so you're saying, AMD/ATi will finally have a lead over nVidia? it's about time ... I think they last thing they could say was ultimately "record breaking" was some card they released when I was like 19 (I'm 29 now)... that was about the last time I heard great things about them. I have always respected ATi; but their drivers, driver support, no physx and cards in general are just weaker compared to current nVidia.

If ATi can render physx obsolete (and still have great physic based content), better overall cards for better prices and get their drivers happening ... it may be a time for a switch.

i don't know if ATi will lead over nVidia, as both have different customers as target.
if you're a pure gamer, nVidia is the way to go. if you prefer graphic quality and mutimedia capabilities, ATi is the way to go. Yes, nVidia has a bad sub-pixel accuracy and their AA still sucks, but their Ani is way better then ATis. So in the end, it's all up to what one is lookin for in a graphic card.
As for mini PCs for the living room, which should have a lower power consumption profile, there's only ATi to choose from, as due to the completly different GPU structure, you can run them at a power level of a desk lamp (~30 watt).

Arguing about nVidias PureVision compared to ATis transcoder is obsolete, as for nVidia, the PureVision codec needs to be bought or directly supported by the software, while ATi delivers all what's needed in the driver. Then why is ATi's transcoder so poor? Lacking support. Same with the lacking support for OpenCL, as an ATi can render OpenCL 5x faster then an nVidia and even outruns CUDA at being ~3x faster. But nVidia is smarter, spreading their proprietary code simply everywhere. ATi simply missed thier opportunities, so it's solely their fault. And PhysX ... well, it was obsolete from the start, but again: nVidia was smarter.

Talking about PhysX: There was an PhysX driver for ATi, made by a russian guy, based on the oficial PhysX SDK and it ran 30% faster on an ATi. Why's that? nVidia has cores for graphic, CUDA and PhysX seperate, while ATi scales between it's cores, as none is specialized. But still: There's no benefit from PhysX compatred to Havok and even less compared to Bullet. All those debris, that seems to be more on PhysX and only possible with hardware is just nonsense. Be open minded and check out where the limits of Havok and Bullet are and see, that there's no difference. But as of now, only Bullet can render cloth physx w/o hardware support at a decend speed. Bullet for OpenCL simply looks to futuristic to believe it... even tho it's true.

And so on and so on... i think you know where this is going.

As for nVidia against ATi: ATis 3yrs old 7990 GHz edition still beats nVidias 1yr old Titan and still holds up against nVidia newest products, beating nVidias 600 series to pulp.

Side effect: The 7990 GHz costs almost as much as a Titan costs now and is barely available on stock. So nVidia wins again, to due ATis bad decissions, which helps nVidia raising the prices for new cards to new records everytime, not really making older cards cheaper. And yes, this is bad for fanboys, no matter how much of a fanboy one is.

Completly off-topic. -.-
But i tryed to avoid the famous ATi fanboys against nVidia fanboys thingie. Both GPUs have their target customers, with fanboys ruining the prices. One should always buy what suits ones needs. Being a fanboy means wasting money, so i switch between nVidia and ATi for my gaming PC. Everything else runs on intel + ATi, as there's no alternative for me.

Archived