What does it mean when I click my GeForce experience and it says I should "optimize"?

I suspect it means it will change my graphics settings in a way the program thinks works better, yes?

But I am really happy with the graphics and smoothness of my game right now.

I now have ( among other upgrades) an NVIDIA RTX 4070.

My nephew set my settings for me first and it was smooth and high quality visuals

But since then a couple times forced "steam log ins" happend automatically and  it seems every other day steam tells me "video software not detected setting to low settings"

So I go in and set most things on Steam setttings on my own (my nephew does not live here) usually on one step below Ultra, usually this means "high".

Now though sometimes I do get some stuttering despite my new CPU (i9 core 10900KF, overclocked by my nephews by a bit, since I have huge radiator inside), 64GB RAM and the 4070 card.

(So this is the first time in my life that I own a computer that is considred "good" by the standards of the moment when I own it.Up until now I always brpught the least expensive computer at best buy or walmart beause I only wanted emails and internet surfing and the onyl games i wanted to play were 20 years old and I knew any entry level computer can play a much older game.)

So I am thinking one of my graphicssettings is maybe too high.

There are only 2 things which "Optimize GeForce Expereince" would set lower than what I have it ( all else GeForce seems to suggest higher setting)

And those are "godrays" which I have set at Ultra (I dont even know what godrays are but it sounded like a good thing to have).

and Depth of field which I have set to "Bokeh" which it seems to suggest to instead set to "standard", which I also have no idea what Bokeh is.

These are the only 2 it suggests to go down in settings

All other settings it seems to recomend going up from "High" to "Ultra".

Again I dont have an issue with how it runs now.

Everything looks extra realistic and when it rains everything even looks wet.

And stuttering is not real common but it does happen on occasion.

So there is no big problem here, I just want to learn how to use this tool.

Should I go to "Games" tabs in "GeForce Experience" and push "optmize" for FO4?

Will that improve things?

Or should I leave well enough alone, since things are working (mostly) real well?

Edited by katrina.balanchuk
  • katrina.balanchuk changed the title to What does it mean when I click my GeForce experience and it says I should "optimize"?

with that setup, you honestly should be able to run most anything at Ultra. i'm not familiar with FO4 specifically, but i suspect it's just something to do with the game setup, not your hardware.

As said above, you are more than good to go for ultra settings, everything was running fine on my former i9/32 gb/2080 ti, enb incl. Former because my 2080 ti is not working snymore, so currently I am back to a 960.

Stutter is imho most likely caused by script lags, occasionally also in certain areas ( vanilla issues, but with your rig I do not think it is the case).

Once satisfied with my settings I never let Geforce experience change them, but I would also never use an autopilot in a car, kinda oldschool.

I tried Geforce Experience once, but there was no big difference. 

Edited by cosworth
Wording
23 hours ago, cosworth said:

As said above, you are more than good to go for ultra settings, everything was running fine on my former i9/32 gb/2080 ti, enb incl. Former because my 2080 ti is not working snymore, so currently I am back to a 960.

Stutter is imho most likely caused by script lags, occasionally also in certain areas ( vanilla issues, but with your rig I do not think it is the case).

Once satisfied with my settings I never let Geforce experience change them, but I would also never use an autopilot in a car, kinda oldschool.

I tried Geforce Experience once, but there was no big difference. 

I have about half my settings on Ultra and the other half on High right now.

Visuals look good.

On occasion I do still get some stutter, especially if I am in a busy area shortly after a load screen.

Well ... such conflicts between the "INDIVIDUAL" setting of one's own graphics card and various application programmes (including games) have apparently become an absurd normality today.

For us, "Steam" always remains in "offline" mode ... in order to avoid this "... I'm going to brazenly reset your graphics card ...".

But it's not just "Steam" ... other tools also do this kind of bullshit nowadays.

Either you as a user keep up with your necessary knowledge ... to recognise such conflicts and solve them IN YOUR sense ...

... or you "subordinate" yourself to the dictates of an inappropriate technical confusion.

---

The jerkiness in FO4 in "busy" areas ... especially in the inner city of Boston ... can be traced back to the massively sloppy programming of the game

and has nothing whatsoever to do with a lack of graphics performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the hang of it now.

When GeForce Experienze "optmized" I suspect it recognized FO4 and the 4070 card

So it set everything to Ultra except  a couple of features (weapons debris off and such)

but this does not account for all the mods active on it right now that place an addtional load.

As a result I was getting stuttering despite my hard (now) being far above any demands FO4 should be placing on it.

I found a slider in GeForce, that lets me set ym opmimization more toward performance rather than beauty.

Hopefully this sill get rid of my stuttering.

Been playing with this mode for an HR now and so far no stuttering ( but I also have not been in demanding areas yet)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 7:01 PM, katrina.balanchuk said:

Well I got the hang of it now.

When GeForce Experienze "optmized" I suspect it recognized FO4 and the 4070 card

So it set everything to Ultra except  a couple of features (weapons debris off and such)

but this does not account for all the mods active on it right now that place an addtional load.

As a result I was getting stuttering despite my hard (now) being far above any demands FO4 should be placing on it.

I found a slider in GeForce, that lets me set ym opmimization more toward performance rather than beauty.

Hopefully this sill get rid of my stuttering.

Been playing with this mode for an HR now and so far no stuttering ( but I also have not been in demanding areas yet)

I don't understand how it's possible for Fallout 4 to make you PC  stutter :)))

I  never  had  any problems with a much weaker setup,  this day i'm  running i9+3090+128gb, but before I had some i7+1080+64,  and  still I never had any problems, even though I  have been using ultra setting and have a lot of mods (including some 4k and 8k texture packs)

Honestly I  can't imagine a scenario  where  i9 and  4070 would fail to make F4 to run smoothly.  I have a 165hz monitor,  and fps is 'glued'  to this number.  maybe  +-2.