Save.ess.tmp problem

sammyj069

Hi all.  I don't know how many have heard of this issue, but it's been an ongoing issue for some time.  For me, I first got this issue after uninstalling Sanguine's Debarchery through MCM.  I did everything appropriately, but it seems that characters who'd been captured in the past, now have save file extentions such as "save.ess.tmp".  There are a few "save.ess.bak" files as well. 

I can confidently say it isn't my current load order, as other files that weren't ".tmp'ed" still play and save fine.  For all those unaware, this problem essentially prevents any saving on that file ever again.  No quick save, no menu save, no console save.  What's worse, is for some reason, the game backdated EVERY save of those characters to ess.tmp saves.  So, even my first freash out of Helgan/prison cell saves are .tmp extensions with those characters.

I've tried every fix I can find.  Double loading; kill self, then save; wait 31 days in a small cell; uninstall as many mods as possible; remove ".bak" from the "ess.bak" files (also corrupted files, apparently); load another character, kill that character, while they're dying, re load corrupt save and kill them then save; and one fix I'd found here:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/13087-ctd-on-save-game/

All to no avail. If anyone is having any similar issue, or has ANY useful information, I'd appriciate it v.v

I have repeatedly read this statement, that there were problems with uninstallations with NMM and MCM. it is simply because the uninstall these "two manager" mods incorrect. I once used NMM and unfortunately had to realize that some files were left back in the game! now I use no more manager, do everything manually, and I am on the safe side.

german \ deutsch !

ich habe schon mehrfach diese aussage gelesen , daß es probleme mit deinstallationen mit NMM und MCM gab . es liegt ganz einfach daran das diese " beiden manager "die mods nicht korrekt deinstallieren . ich habe mal NMM benutzt und mußte leider feststellen , daß einzelne dateien im spiel zurück gelassen wurden ! jetzt verwende ich keinen manager mehr , mach alles manuell und bin damit auf der sicheren seite .

• 3 months later...

Hi all.  I don't know how many have heard of this issue, but it's been an ongoing issue for some time.  For me, I first got this issue after uninstalling Sanguine's Debarchery through MCM. 

I HAVE THE SAME FREAKING ISSUE!

Though I'm afraid I have nothing I can offer to help other than to restart and never touch Sanguine's Debauchery ever again until they actually help you.

Guest Ragna_Rok

jeez, dont blame the modders first. in most of the cases its the download-manager that screws up, at least that damn nmm-piece-of-crap loves to do that. best advice would be to install manually.

I uninstalled SD properly through MCM and that seems to have been the issue.

I reinstall it and I'm left with a non-functional MCM menu (but can see the submenus "Help" "Status" ect)

I'll do it, Ragna_Rok, but I'm 99% sure it's an issue in SD's uninstall script. As when I reinstall it through NMM, I'm suddenly able to change cells, save my game, etc. Well I wonder if it's still NMM's fault?

EDIT: Besides, I though NMM's issue was that sometimes it doesn't like mods with install scripts sometimes (Schlongs of Skyrim has the pre-install choices, for instance). SD doesn't do that.

I uninstalled SD properly through MCM and that seems to have been the issue.

I reinstall it and I'm left with a non-functional MCM menu (but can see the submenus "Help" "Status" ect)

I'll do it, Ragna_Rok, but I'm 99% sure it's an issue in SD's uninstall script. As when I reinstall it through NMM, I'm suddenly able to change cells, save my game, etc. Well I wonder if it's still NMM's fault?

EDIT: Besides, I though NMM's issue was that sometimes it doesn't like mods with install scripts sometimes (Schlongs of Skyrim has the pre-install choices, for instance). SD doesn't do that.

The mod tells you to game wait 2+ hours after the uninstall through MCM. Did you do that?

Hi all.  I don't know how many have heard of this issue, but it's been an ongoing issue for some time.  For me, I first got this issue after uninstalling Sanguine's Debarchery through MCM.  I did everything appropriately, but it seems that characters who'd been captured in the past, now have save file extentions such as "save.ess.tmp".  There are a few "save.ess.bak" files as well. 

I can confidently say it isn't my current load order, as other files that weren't ".tmp'ed" still play and save fine.  For all those unaware, this problem essentially prevents any saving on that file ever again.  No quick save, no menu save, no console save.  What's worse, is for some reason, the game backdated EVERY save of those characters to ess.tmp saves.  So, even my first freash out of Helgan/prison cell saves are .tmp extensions with those characters.

I've tried every fix I can find.  Double loading; kill self, then save; wait 31 days in a small cell; uninstall as many mods as possible; remove ".bak" from the "ess.bak" files (also corrupted files, apparently); load another character, kill that character, while they're dying, re load corrupt save and kill them then save; and one fix I'd found here:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/13087-ctd-on-save-game/

All to no avail. If anyone is having any similar issue, or has ANY useful information, I'd appriciate it v.v

Sanguine's Debauchery mod does not invoke any game saves and papyrus certainly cannot rename files on your system. My version at least. Sanguine's Debauchery Plus by SkyrimII rewrites my version a bit so it's a different story.

.tmp & .bak extensions happen when the system becomes unstable. Obviously it can be the game but you can see in overclockers.co.uk that it can also be hardware related.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.329473-Skyrim-wiping-my-manual-save-files

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18503026

Have you checked your system? Is that running okay?

Avoid quick saves. They are not complete saves.

Rabblerouser PM'ed me some logs and I'm looking over them.

Unstalling this Mod[/size]
Prior to 2012.01.14 Release.   < this is for an older version. don't use this but it's here because some people may still need it

• Make sure you are free from you master or complete the spriggan quest.
  • In console type "set _SD_uninstall to 1" then hit enter.
  • Save. ( repeat steps 1-3 for all saves you want to clean )
  • Exit the game.
  • Uninstall Sanguine's Debauchery
  • Run GenerateFNISforUsers.exe
  • Start the game and load the save you created in #2
  • Wait a few hours game time and about a min real time. This allows running scripts that are repeating to expire/unload.
  • Save. Either in a new slot or over the save you created in #2 ( repeat steps 7-9 for all saves you want to clean )

2012.01.14 Release and later: Disabling Sanguine's Debauchery for a specific character.  < NOTE: That this must be done for EVERY character

• Make sure you are free from you master or complete the spriggan quest ( You may have to cycle through the "BEGIN" option ): < Don't be enslaved. This means ALL your characters must be free and out of the spriggan quest, thug quest, etc.  and go through this process if uninstalling the mod completely.
    • Enter MCM
    • Select "Sanguine's Debauchery"
    • Select "Config" in the sub-menu
    • Click "UNINSTALL"
    • Exit all menus ( If you enter MCM again Sanguine's Debauchery will now only show the logo )
    • Wait 2 game hours to make sure all quests scripts have gone idle.
  • Save. ( repeat step 1 for all the saves you want to clean. )

You won't be able to restart Sanguine's Debauchery for this character unless you preform a full uninstall.[/size]

2012.01.14 Release and later: Full Uninstall

• Follow the instructions for "Disabling Sanguine's Debauchery for a specific character." for all characters that have started SD. < Again, ALL characters must be free and if you are in the middle of the spriggan quest, etc. it should be completed.
  • Exit the game.
  • Uninstall Sanguine's Debauchery
  • Run GenerateFNISforUsers.exe
  • Start the game and load the save you created in #2
  • Wait a few hours game time and about a min real time.
  • Save. Either in a new slot or over the save you created in #2 ( repeat steps 7-9 for all saves you want to clean )

Archived