Looking For: Genes inherited by gender

So Biotech is really cool, I can basically make what amounts to new alien races in my games without having to rely on Humanoid Alien Races and other mod authors to have already made the thing I'm looking for, and addons for it only improve things, but I've hit a specific snag.  Thought it would be interesting to have a colony of co-dependent xenotypes where males are always born one type and females are always born another to get a sort of biological roles thing going, but I haven't found anything that can quite do that.  I've found a few mods that add a "male only" and "female only" gene, another that adds a dominant gene so children will always be of the dominant parent's xenotype, and those combinations set up for some fun colony dynamics, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.  I saw reference to Sex Matters but it looks like it's not set for 1.4, and looking at it I didn't think it would quite do what I'm looking for.  RJW's support for Humanoid Alien Races lets you specify how often a child will be the mother or father's species, or even if they're hybrids, so I'm tentatively assuming the same thing is possible for biotech, but I haven't found anything that says "Xenotype inherited by male/female" or anything similar.

Anyone know a mod or settings I might have missed that lets a child inherit either of their parents complete xenotypes and not just mash them together or only get the same one each time?

I don't know of a means of doing exactly what you're asking for. However, you can fudge it with some base functionality.

Namely, you can create two xenotypes (whose genes are all xenogenes), one which has the 'male only' gene, the other has 'female only', but both of which have the gene implanter gene.

Whenever a male child is born, you have a member of the male xenotype inject them with the male-only genes. Whenever a female child is born, you have a member of the female xenotype inject them with the female-only genes. Then it's as though the child had been born with whatever xenotype was appropriate, with a single manual step in-between. It also means that you can induct outside pawns into the xenotypes if that's desirable.

The genes all being xenogenes is important, however, so that the male-only and female-genes aren't shuffled together in the offspring.

Hope that helps.

Edited by brb24

i kinda wanted something that wouldn't mix together, like they are both the same race, but female has some traits and male could have others

for example male could have horns greenskin bulky body, poisonous fangs, while female could be yellow, no horns and no fangs normal body.

9 hours ago, Encon4 said:

i kinda wanted something that wouldn't mix together, like they are both the same race, but female has some traits and male could have others

for example male could have horns greenskin bulky body, poisonous fangs, while female could be yellow, no horns and no fangs normal body.

If you went with the xenogene idea suggested above, there wouldn't be mixing. If a male hussar and a female genie (or vice versa) have a kid, the child will be a baseline human because all the stuff that makes a hussar a hussar or a genie a genie are xenogenes and therefore not shared (or mixed) during reproduction. The only genes that'll be mixed/inherited are hair and skin color.

So you can have your male with horns, green skin, a bulky body, and poisonous fangs, your female with yellow skin and a normal body. The two of them have child, who will have some baseline human hair- and skin-color, and no other genes. If the child is a boy, the father uses his gene implanter and suddenly the child has horns, green skin, a bulky body, and poisonous fangs. If the child is a girl, the mother uses her gene implanter and suddenly the child has yellow skin and a normal build.

There's that single, manual step (i.e. the appropriate parent gene implanting the kid) but otherwise the results are what you're asking for, with the advantage that it's something you have access to right now with just the Biotech DLC.

Edited by brb24

Took me a bit to come back to this but thanks for the suggestion.  Not quite what I was looking for but like you said, it's an option I have right now.  Using two distinct xenotypes and just implanting them as appropriate is way more logistically sensible than having a single xenotype that can somehow distinguish and filter traits based on another trait.  The mod that gives "dominant genes" basically does this, but if two dominant xenotypes reproduce it uses normal gene mixing rules, for my purposes I'd basically want to change that function into being a coin flip of which of two dominant xenotypes get inherited.  In the meantime, this solution will basically do what I want, like you said it's only a single extra step.

On 3/25/2023 at 7:21 PM, brb24 said:

If you went with the xenogene idea suggested above, there wouldn't be mixing. If a male hussar and a female genie (or vice versa) have a kid, the child will be a baseline human because all the stuff that makes a hussar a hussar or a genie a genie are xenogenes and therefore not shared (or mixed) during reproduction. The only genes that'll be mixed/inherited are hair and skin color.

So you can have your male with horns, green skin, a bulky body, and poisonous fangs, your female with yellow skin and a normal body. The two of them have child, who will have some baseline human hair- and skin-color, and no other genes. If the child is a boy, the father uses his gene implanter and suddenly the child has horns, green skin, a bulky body, and poisonous fangs. If the child is a girl, the mother uses her gene implanter and suddenly the child has yellow skin and a normal build.

There's that single, manual step (i.e. the appropriate parent gene implanting the kid) but otherwise the results are what you're asking for, with the advantage that it's something you have access to right now with just the Biotech DLC.