What (free) program can I use to edit Cubemaps?

lol is LMGTFY out of fashion, considered too passive-aggressive in cancel culture 2020s, or is that timeless?

> I am just an idiot // I am an absolute amateur

So you want a free prog, then a tut on using the program, and a tut on what you specifically want to use the program for?

Uhh... OK. Just so you know, no one's being rude - it's more shock. if you have no idea what you're doing, literally step 0, asking advice seems cheap. Besides someone handing you this will do nothing for you. You yourself literally said you don't know, it's not that hard but it takes some effort and knowledge and a grasp of 3D coordinate nomenclature. Or put another way, if creating gaming resources were super easy and non-technical, everyone would release their own games.

You don't tell us if you're technically capable just ignorant on the 3D graphics stuff, or if you're a gamer who wants to make some changes and all this stuff is alien?

I'd send you here: https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex

But not sure it'll help you, or frustrate / overwhelm you. It's free, though. Source code too, Compile it yourself. (don't worry there's binaries to d/l no compiling necessary)

Maybe start with basics? Microsoft Learning: Introduction to textures in DirectX and Microsoft Learning: Cubic Environment Mapping ? Before you worry about what program to do it in?

Also the fastest way to learn something you don't know? Take apart someone elses' and figure out what they did.

Love the attitude though, no idea what you're doing and diving in the deep end without even looking... that's balls, son! ?

1 hour ago, DeathApproaches said:

is LMGTFY out of fashion

Only reason I didn't LMGTFY is that different countries show different results; and these days you're more likely to get a link from softonic (or another scam site) as the first result. Basically just saved the OP from the trouble of getting their hdd ransomed.

8 hours ago, DeathApproaches said:

lol is LMGTFY out of fashion, considered too passive-aggressive in cancel culture 2020s, or is that timeless?

> I am just an idiot // I am an absolute amateur

So you want a free prog, then a tut on using the program, and a tut on what you specifically want to use the program for?

Uhh... OK. Just so you know, no one's being rude - it's more shock. if you have no idea what you're doing, literally step 0, asking advice seems cheap. Besides someone handing you this will do nothing for you. You yourself literally said you don't know, it's not that hard but it takes some effort and knowledge and a grasp of 3D coordinate nomenclature. Or put another way, if creating gaming resources were super easy and non-technical, everyone would release their own games.

You don't tell us if you're technically capable just ignorant on the 3D graphics stuff, or if you're a gamer who wants to make some changes and all this stuff is alien?

I'd send you here: https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex

But not sure it'll help you, or frustrate / overwhelm you. It's free, though. Source code too, Compile it yourself. (don't worry there's binaries to d/l no compiling necessary)

Maybe start with basics? Microsoft Learning: Introduction to textures in DirectX and Microsoft Learning: Cubic Environment Mapping ? Before you worry about what program to do it in?

Also the fastest way to learn something you don't know? Take apart someone elses' and figure out what they did.

Love the attitude though, no idea what you're doing and diving in the deep end without even looking... that's balls, son! ?

I do know a lot more now than I did when I made my signature (I should update it)

Everything I know about all this is self taught, and the way I learned other things was getting the program, then working through it from there (and by picking apart other people's stuff). The first things I made/edited, I redid tons of times as I learned what I did wrong or right

I could find hundreds of different programs that MIGHT work. But the only way I'll find one that WILL work (and won't be full of viruses) is by asking somewhere like here for what other people use

As for asking for guides, that was basically just an extra thing that would speed up learning the program, not really necessary. I was mainly just asking for what program A) works for cubemaps, and B) is safe

Also, I'm just generally not good with people, so I'm not really sure what I should say on these kinds of posts. Should I list all the programs I know? Should I list some things I've made in those programs? What sorts of things do people need to know for these kinds of questions?

Sorry when I typed that, I was dealing with something - if it came off really passive/agressive (I just re-read it and it sure does to me!) I didn't intend that to anyone here, it's one of those things where your life intrudes on your online persona... humans are weird that way.

I was just tying to gauge how much we should throw at you. Do you want to do tons of things, is this ambitious? Are you fixing one thing and will never use it again, etc. Because some tools are not very hand-holdy, and you have to learn them, there's no tutorials per se, you use them and see what happens or your read the docs. Someone usually makes a doc or video, because people with no technical skills who learn something new develop an ego about it, HA I KNOW SOMETHING YOU DONT! etc. They're not bad people they just get really really excited. :-)

So that was the reasoning. This isn't hard, but it does take a bit of work, and there's a learning curve. So I was trying to gauge, but again, I was in a shit mood and it came off really passive/aggressive (or just aggressive) sorry about that, but the premise is intact - do you know what you're doing with the cubemap? are you just taking an existing one and making the perception of depth "deeper" by adjusting the contrast? are you hand-painting a new one from scratch? etc.

Sorry for any confusion!

2 hours ago, DeathApproaches said:

Sorry when I typed that, I was dealing with something - if it came off really passive/agressive (I just re-read it and it sure does to me!) I didn't intend that to anyone here, it's one of those things where your life intrudes on your online persona... humans are weird that way.

I was just tying to gauge how much we should throw at you. Do you want to do tons of things, is this ambitious? Are you fixing one thing and will never use it again, etc. Because some tools are not very hand-holdy, and you have to learn them, there's no tutorials per se, you use them and see what happens or your read the docs. Someone usually makes a doc or video, because people with no technical skills who learn something new develop an ego about it, HA I KNOW SOMETHING YOU DONT! etc. They're not bad people they just get really really excited. ?

So that was the reasoning. This isn't hard, but it does take a bit of work, and there's a learning curve. So I was trying to gauge, but again, I was in a shit mood and it came off really passive/aggressive (or just aggressive) sorry about that, but the premise is intact - do you know what you're doing with the cubemap? are you just taking an existing one and making the perception of depth "deeper" by adjusting the contrast? are you hand-painting a new one from scratch? etc.

Sorry for any confusion!

All good, I've had that happen too, bad days happen to everyone

As for what I want to do, it's mainly just adjusting the colors of pre existing ones (for example, there's an armor with a custom cubemap that is silver, and I want it to be gold. There are other things like that, that's just one example)

That's just where I want to start with cubemaps (as in, all I currently need it for), but maybe eventually make my own custom ones. So not really a one use and done, but not exactly a ton of use either