Eyes! Eyes that glow in the dark - fixed (solution given here)

Some followers I like to acquire come from Korean modders, from the Korean Tullius web site.

In some of the Korean modded followers, some have this weird 'glowing' eye when in the dark, or shaded areas. The eyes look fine in daylight but bad at night.

Am I lacking an eye mod they used? Or is this something I can configure in a NIF?

Here's an example.  Any thoughts welcome.  Thanks!

Eyes.jpg.b260b8c70899a1561f59666ed9147d48.jpg

14 minutes ago, traison said:

Player extra bright and glowing eyes fix

Thank you!

Yes, I have tried that (and just tried it again) and it makes no change at all to these girls' eyes.  I have also re-tried the Tullius Eye Pack and that fails, too.

This is something that only affects a few Korean-originated followers, and I'm guessing something isn't set right in the NIF or DDS.

Here's how they look:

enb2023_2_28_13_42_41.jpg

Edited by Bluegunk

I got this reply back on Reddit, last time I asked. But the responder never explained further, or gave an idea to fix it:

"Eyes in vanilla Skyrim and almost all mods are set up with alpha transparency because the eyes and eyelashes are on the same mesh. This applies to all exported pregenerated npc face nifs as well. Skyrim rendering doesn't put shadows on meshes with alpha transparency."

In that case I think what I'd do is open a known-good facegen, and one of these glowing ones in nifskope and compare the properties of the eye shape. Perhaps starting with the BSLightingShaderProperty. While you're at it, you should also make sure you're not missing a texture defined in the BSShaderTextureSet.

Some default textures:

Actors\Character\Eyes\EyeBrown.dds

textures\actors\character\eyes\EyeBrown_n.dds

textures\actors\character\eyes\EyeBrown_sk.dds

textures\cubemaps\EyeCubeMap.dds

textures\actors\character\eyes\EyeEnvironmentMask_M.dds

Edit: That transparency thing is pretty much what the vanilla glowing eyes bug is about yes.

Edited by traison

Things to look for:

Emissive Color in the BSLightingShader property should be black.

Shader Flags 1 - Own Emit should be off

Shader Flags 2 - should not include "Glow Map" - this setting enables the glow map (usually _g suffix) in slot 3  of the TexturesSet and bumps the _sk one to slot 4.

This info comes from Dawn Eyes mod that is deliberately making eyes glow. I made my own variants based on this.

Edited by ghastley

I have solved this! Thanks for the advice! I actually did try comparisons and adjustments before, but never caught this one.

In the picture below, adjusting the Emissive Color to 0 removed the glow.  I've learnt how to fix this problem now, so it won't trouble me again.

Eyes Fixed.jpg

Many thanks once again, @Traison!  And thank you @ghastley!

I'll leave this here in case anyone else has this issue.

Edited by Bluegunk
  • Bluegunk changed the title to Eyes! Eyes that glow in the dark - fixed (solution given here)