Making new race - ears mesh causes CTD (ONLY when put to ears slot)

So, I got a veeeeeery wierd issue here.

I creating a new race (did it tons of times). Everything is OK, but when I put certain mesh to ears slot - it's always CTDs.

Mesh is correct - if I put it to anything other than ears it works normally.

If I put other mesh to ears slot - they also do not cause CTD.

I checked things about 1000 times already and ears mesh is 100% not corrupted. It all looks like some delusional shit to me right now.

Did anyone got issues like this? I'm literally lost and I almost never get to this lost state (everything is 1000% correct and still it's broken).

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Allnarta
  • Allnarta changed the title to Making new race - ears mesh causes CTD (ONLY when put to ears slot)

UPD: after extensive testing I can confirm that any mesh will cause CTD in ears slot if it wasn't rendered before in other slot. If it was - it will also not CTD after being set to ears one.

So probably issue is in ears slot being extremely picky to meshes than my axtual mesh.

Both?  "Ear (Male)" and "Ear (female) "

And the word "slot" sound like armor-clothes slots.  But I don't know what's the right name for the Face data settings.

If you use "Tongue" or "Teeth (upper) " it works?

I created many races and it never happend in my game, never problems with ears ( except that skin color never quite matches color of head )

New race works, then I change ears to test different versions, and again never CTDs.

Except for the 4 bodies nif and the head nif, all other body parts have NO bones. ( NiNode  Bip01xxxx ) or the game CTD.

"Slot" is completely correct word, it is technically also use slots for headparts (in F3/FNV you can literally put armor pieces to headparts slots, probably in Oblivion too).

I found an issue and it was, as it often happens, easy as heck - I didn't attach corresponding .egt file to mesh. ? For FNV it never caused CTD (just didn't render skintone), so it was last thing I could thnk of that can actually crash CS/game.

It's surprising that it worked with other head slots because they all use egm files. 

Only hair ( that is not part of the race settings) I knew some Mods without egm files. But that limits the head settings, you have to adjust the head size/shape to the hair.

But good that it works now.

-----------

Even teeth have egm files and they move with the head sliders. . .   that's why you don't see any NPCs with braces.  :classic_biggrin: