High GPU Temperatures when using ENB

Just wanted to ask if it's normal to run high as 85-88°C when using ENB?

I never really paid much attention because I use headphones all the time but I was shocked to see how high my temps are.

Will playing in the same temps for a few hours cause any issues or damage the GPU? My CPU is pretty good when it comes to temps somewhere in the 60°, 

only my GPU is reaching that high.  

Edited by CookieKookie

Is it normal?

1. Depends on your GPU.
  2. Depends if you overclocked it or not.
  3. Depends on when you cleaned it last.
  4. Depends on how old it is.
  5. Depends on your case and how good the air flow is in general.
  6. Depends on your PSU quality.

As for damage, don't worry, GPUs turn themselves off before any damage is done. Its not going to set itself on fire. Sure, you probably don't wnat to get to that point on a daily basis but if it happens once or twice you're fine. I suppose there's some argument to be made of the longevity of components when running at higher temperatures, or with rapid temperature changes. For peak measurements creeping up on 90 is high but I'd freak out at around 100. For long-term use, I'd go get the vacuum cleaner and an air compressor.

Short answer: sort of.

2 minutes ago, traison said:

Is it normal?

1. Depends on your GPU.
  2. Depends if you overclocked it or not.
  3. Depends on when you cleaned it last.
  4. Depends on how old it is.
  5. Depends on your case and how good the air flow is in general.
  6. Depends on your PSU quality.

As for damage, don't worry, GPUs turn themselves off before any damage is done. Its not going to set itself on fire. Sure, you probably don't wnat to get to that point on a daily basis but if it happens once or twice you're fine. I suppose there's some argument to be made of the longevity of components when running at higher temperatures, or with rapid temperature changes. For peak measurements creeping up on 90 is high but I'd freak out at around 100. For long-term use, I'd go get the vacuum cleaner and an air compressor.

Short answer: sort of.

Every other game/software runs pretty smooth and under 75°C at max. When I run Skyrim with no enb effects it runs at around 50°C but the moment I enable ENB Effects the temps go crazy, I've been running Skyrim in these same temps for idk how long, never had any problems tbh, just wanted to make sure if everyone here have simillar temperatures with ENB and if it will cause any future problems. So yeah, the short answer pretty much sums it up I guess, lol. 

I'd say generally the more the GPU is used the more power it will consume, this I would assume anyone would understand. What may be a bit more unexpected though is that one of the easiest way to cause a massive power spike (and thus temperature spike) is to push more frames though it. Meaning higher fps = more power = more heat. Running a simple black screen at 10,000 fps will cook it right up. Same reason why some older games were boiling gpu's when people were idling in menus - they forgot to do vsync in menus; GTA San Andreas comes to mind.

That said, do you have your vsync things set up for ENB. You're not running it at something funny like 200 fps for the e-peen -points?

18 minutes ago, traison said:

I'd say generally the more the GPU is used the more power it will consume, this I would assume anyone would understand. What may be a bit more unexpected though is that one of the easiest way to cause a massive power spike (and thus temperature spike) is to push more frames though it. Meaning higher fps = more power = more heat. Running a simple black screen at 10,000 fps will cook it right up. Same reason why some older games were boiling gpu's when people were idling in menus - they forgot to do vsync in menus; GTA San Andreas comes to mind.

That said, do you have your vsync things set up for ENB. You're not running it at something funny like 200 fps for the e-peen -points?

Okay so I figured out the problem, thanks to you!! I was running 4k resolution with fps capped to 120. Thus a much greater power consumption, I lowerd the resolution to 2k and capped the fps to 60. GPU makes less noise now and the temps are lowerd down to 79° and interior cells are down to 64°. 

GPU usage also went down to 50%.

I use a blower gpu and I read that they run quite hot compared to the fan ones, so maybe these are the ideal temps for now. 

Edited by CookieKookie