Planning on getting a Laptop

LewdFaelarie

I built my own PC and have some general knowledge on PC's, but I have absolutely no idea when it comes to anything related to laptops.

On my desktop I have windows 7 64bit, two 7850's in CF, and a 3750k i5, along with 8gb of ram.   I'm looking for a college/gaming laptop that can keep up with it, or pass it.   I'm looking at a max price of like 2000$

Anyone willing to throw out some recommendations, and generally throw out some benchmark numbers I could expect from it?

considering this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152443

Stick with your PC. Most laptops come with Windows 8 these days and Windows 8 is not good for gaming at all.

I planned on reinstalling windows 7 on what ever I got(unless it removed warranty), or getting one with windows 7.

I also need a laptop for college, and would like to have a gaming laptop for when I'm out on trips.

I got this laptop. $550. i3, HD 4000, 8gbs ram, 750gb HDD, Win 7 pro with optional upgrade to Win 8 pro. It works great, can run Skyrim on medium or so.

Or for an extra $50, you can get this model. i5, Radeon HD 7650M, rest of the specs are the same. The laptop itself isn't that heavy, has great speakers and a really bright screen. It's great for general use, and some light-medium gaming.

ALSO, regarding Windows 8. The OS itself is great, its just that the UI is a piece of !@#$. However, you can easily get a windows 7 UI. (Just google Windows 7 start menu). Win8 itself is much faster than Win7 (just check a comparison boot video). Also, Win8 will get the classic start menu back as default in a soon to come (or maybe already out?) update. So Win8 isn't all that bad.

EDIT: article about  return to classic UI in update here:. Update hits October 18th.

A good Windows 8 UI mod is Classic Shell. Very customizable, easy to use, and easy to install. It doesn't get rid of the horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible Metro UI for good, but it does pretty much completely eliminate your dependence on it. It gives you the start menu!!!

Also don't underestimate the importance of graphics cards. I recently got a laptop with 8 gigs of ram and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 and it runs Skyrim slightly-less-than-max graphics (I haven't tried maxing out yet) at a smooth 60 FPS. Also, are you using a wireless/USB mouse? Because if you aren't, check and see if your laptop would have an Elantech touchpad. Avoid Elantech touchpads like the plague.

Also don't underestimate the importance of graphics cards. I recently got a laptop with 8 gigs of ram and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 and it runs Skyrim slightly-less-than-max graphics (I haven't tried maxing out yet) at a smooth 60 FPS. Also, are you using a wireless/USB mouse? Because if you aren't, check and see if your laptop would have an Elantech touchpad. Avoid Elantech touchpads like the plague.

Never liked touchpads.

Archived