How do I add an idle animation to a character state/condition?

How do I add an idle animation to a character state/condition? Specifically, I'm trying to make an npc play the "idlesynthshutdown" animation when given a "shutdown" command like in the robotics expert perk when you shutdown a robot, they will play their shutdown animation. Is there a script or something to associate that idle animation with an unconscious state? This is for a custom android/synth race I'm experimenting with as an intro to modding. Thanks!

I was curious about this a while back and came across this post: 

For now I know of 2 ways to trigger animations,

both are using the ChangeAnimArchetype() Function.

AnimArchetype Keyword :

In this case one of the used keywords is of type AnimArchetype.

To trigger your animations you have to add the other keyword by the AddKeyword() function and add the AnimArchetype Keyword with ChangeAnimArchetype(YourAAKeyword).

As soon as the AnimArchetype is set your animations are used.

This method has the downside that any change of the AnimArchetype, either by game or by mods, will break your animation.

If you just want to play your animation once or under very specific conditions you could use that.

To change back to vanilla animations just remove the Keyword(s) with RemoveKeyword()

and the AnimArchetype Keyword by either ChangeAnimArchetype() for NPC´s or

ChangeAnimArchetype(AnimArchetypePlayer) for the player.