What's the best way to go about finding what is causing the largest load on Papyrus?

I'm getting a lot of freezing, and from what I understand, that's caused by Papyrus getting overloaded

So, how would I go about finding what mods are causing the largest load?

I know of the Papyrus logs (Papyrus.0 Papyrus.1 etc), but honestly, I have no idea how to read it, or tell what's causing the heavy load. Is that the best way to tell? And if so, should I post it here and could anyone read it for me?

By freezing do you mean the game freezing? Because the only thing Papyrus overload can cause it other scripts executing slowly. Game freezes cannot be caused by Papyrus. They can be caused by SKSE plugins that run in main thread, slow drives and big files. On the other hand SKSE plugins are written in C++ which is stupid fast so that's probably not it. So if you're using an HDD that's one of the issues. If you use high poly outfits or high resolution textures that's another one, as those are loaded from the drive whenever a new NPC enters render distance.

2 minutes ago, Literally just a cat said:

I'm getting a lot of freezing, and from what I understand, that's caused by Papyrus getting overloaded

Papyrus scripts cannot cause crashes, stutters, frame drops, or slowdowns until you have a faulty mod that is poorly done and breaks the Papyrus engine.

That normally shows up as Stack Dumps in the log and that, Stack Dumps, is the only thing that can cause some kind of problem from Papyrus side.

In any other case, the game can run hundreds and hundreds of scripts without any problem. The idea of Papyrus Engine being a bucket of poop is totally false.

Not trust me? Then think how is made every mod, how many scripts have and how many scripts run the main mods like SexLab, Aroused, SOS, PSQ, Creature Framework, Separate Orsgam, Apropos, CumShot, Squit Reborn, Deadly Drain... Really the game run hundreds of scripts in the background and another big lot every time we launch an animation and nobody notice it.

Upload yours Papyrus.log to take a look and discard a broken mod but i think yours problems have nothing to do with the scripts.

Probably was caused by some bad configuration, some mod with bad textures or by a problem in skeletons, body model, SMP...

Did you change Skyrim.ini settings under [Papyrus] to try and speed things up? That'll cause freezing and it's recommended by an actual Bethesda developer not to do that, I did that and found out the hard way. I don't know of any good way to find which mods are causing the most script lag but you can use Elephant's Script Latency Tester to see if script lag is a problem for you.

If script lag is a problem and you don't want to remove mods or don't know which ones are causing issues, Papyrus Tweaks NG with the experimental add-on to run scripts on the main thread sped things up massively for me. It wont solve the fundamental problem and possibly adds more issues, but that's Skyrim modding to me.?‍♂️

Edit: This assumes everything is installed correctly and is running properly, if something is misconfigured then obviously that needs to be fixed first.

Edited by shrtjsrtj

Okay, if it's not papyrus, how would I find out what it is?

I'll try resetting my ini files though

And what's happening when it freezes, is seemingly random timing (within half an hour of playing), and the screen just freezes (so it retains the image, but nothing moves). But audio that was already started, continues to play (so, the background music will play until it reaches the track change, dialogue will finish its current line, etc)

Thanks btw

9 hours ago, Literally just a cat said:

And what's happening when it freezes, is seemingly random timing (within half an hour of playing), and the screen just freezes (so it retains the image, but nothing moves). But audio that was already started, continues to play (so, the background music will play until it reaches the track change, dialogue will finish its current line, etc)

A total freezee (static image whit sound) normally mean open the Task Manager and kill the Skyrim proces because not answer.

Is a problem inside one DLL that wait ethernaly for something that never happend and the game lock in that point.

Is worse than a CTD because when we have CTD we can have a log that can say where is the problem.

But in a total freezee we not have any info and the only way to locate the problem is disable mods with DLL until you find the problematic mod.

Edited by alex77r4