Skyrim crashes when entering whiterun, no idea why even with crash log

4 minutes ago, traison said:

textures\weapons\iron\IronBattleAxe_n.dds

textures\weapons\executioneraxe\ExecutionerAxe_m.dds

textures\blood\BloodEdge01.dds

Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Tamriel.4.16.4_n.DDS

Most likely the first.

So, one of my retexture mods casuses crashes? Well, fuck. 

Well, it may not be that black and white. I mean take the first issue for example. I somehow doubt psboss' statues would be causing a ctd, otherwise the forums over at the nexus would be on fire (are they?). More often than not I'd say its a combination of things, but considering there's exactly as many mod combinations as there is Skyrim players on this planet, it's impossible to tell what that might be. Usually the easiest solution is the sledgehammer one, remove the offending mod; but like you said "well, fuck".

4 hours ago, traison said:

Well, it may not be that black and white. I mean take the first issue for example. I somehow doubt psboss' statues would be causing a ctd, otherwise the forums over at the nexus would be on fire (are they?). More often than not I'd say its a combination of things, but considering there's exactly as many mod combinations as there is Skyrim players on this planet, it's impossible to tell what that might be. Usually the easiest solution is the sledgehammer one, remove the offending mod; but like you said "well, fuck".

Currently it seems that pretty much every mod randomly casues crashes, can you point me to a good guide so i can learn how to read crash logs myself? Otherwise i'd possibly need tens of crash logs (or more) to be "read" by you or somone else in order to fix all the problems (if i ever will). It would be nice becouse i have absolutly no idea how did you figure out that one of those textures can cause crash.

Tutorial no, not really. But it goes a bit like this:

Call stack. Read from the top down, where the topmost call is the most recent one. Typically these are known as functions/methods. The closer to the top something is the more likely it is to be relevant to what caused the crash. While this doesn't apply in all cases, its a good start.

Registers. These are memory locations on the cpu. Its not going to get more accurate than this when it comes to figuring out what was going on at the time of the crash. If you spot something readable here, its very likely related to the problem.

Stack. Sort of like the workbench/desktop of the program. Usually you will get hints from this, but you may also get false positives. The stack can contain items that will be used in the future, are used right now, or were used in the past; and there's no way to tell what is what.

So, how do I read crash logs? I ignore all the numbers. That would be the shortest way to put it. Using your latest crash log as an example, what do I see at a glance?

1. Entry 7 in the call stack is the first one I can read, it says BSShaderTextureSet, SetTexture. We don't need google to get some hints from this already, it's texture related.
  2. Entry 11 in the call stack, NiStream. Usually "Ni" is used in all nif related stuff (NiNode etc.) Now we can say it's a texture from a mesh perhaps.
  3. Registrers contain one readable entry, CompressedArchiveStream. So whatever it was, it was compressed. Could be an ESP, or BSA/BS2. Plugins do not contain nifs or textures, so leaning towards a BSA/BS2 possibly being involved.
  4. Glancing over the stack I now look for any texture or nif files, so basically any string that ends with .dds or .nif or otherwise looks like a typical texture or mesh path.

If the information gathered from this quick scan does not help the OP, I take a closer look at what might be causing the issue. In that case I'd for instance consider BSA/BS2 being involved, as per what we found in the registers earlier.

That said, since it seems like you're still having issues. Any chance it could be a BSA archive? Got any texture overhauls (containing weapon textures) that reside in a BSA archive? If you need to inspect archives, get BSA Browser.

How I solve this type of problems(as in: i have no fucking idea why its crashing):

- make some sort of a backup

- disable all mods

- if it worked, re-enable mods until you get CTDs. The last mod you reenabled is probably the guilty one

- if disabling mods didn't worked, also disable/remove SKSE plugins.

Edited by Fotogen