CTD lost everything

Balboa2151

Hey everyone...........for the second time in a 3-4 month span I had to do fresh install of skyrim and lost my high level and all my stuff........I was having horrible CTD and couldn't figure out what was wrong...I think what caused the CTD was a player home I downloaded and didn't like...so I uninstalled it then all the problems started. My question is....what is the correct way to uninstall a mod to prevent CTD. I use nmm to manually install all my mods and I use wrye bash and boss for load order and tes5edit. If anyone could please help I would be greatly appreciative . I tired of doing fresh installs and losing everything . Thanks

What was the player home? Must be that it could be script-heavy, and if it doesn't have a way of removing its own scripts those scripts will remain in the gamesave. If possible you'll have to find the gamesave you made before you installed and used that player home.

If I understand correctly, the only way to uninstall heavy mods is for a new game. Older characters are stuck with the mods that were active during their playthrough because Skyrim now store scripts within the saves.

Beware of mods that use loose files, they might contaminate new characters if they alter vanilla assets, even when their plugins are not active. Or at least is what I understand.

Archived