If you have a mod that gives your character a custom skin/mesh you'd have to look at the same record for that race. The vanilla association looks like this:

1.  [00] Skyrim.esm (7CAB85A9) \ Race \ 00013746 <NordRace>
  2.  [00] Skyrim.esm (7CAB85A9) \ Armor \ 00000D64 <SkinNaked>
  3.  [00] Skyrim.esm (7CAB85A9) \ Armor Addon \ 00000D67 <NakedTorso>
  4.  [00] Skyrim.esm (7CAB85A9) \ FormID List \ 0007BBB2 <SkinFemaleHumanBody>

#1 is different for you if you have a PC-only skin/mesh, and thus it is possible all subsequent records are as well.

In that case what I'd do is open the affected preset and check all esp names mentioned in there to make sure there's no uninstalled mods included. Also check any dds references.

You can find your presets in SKSE\Plugins\CharGen\Presets. Files can be opened and modified with notepad. Personally recommend something like Notepad++.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to necro, did you ever find a fix for this? I've currently got it and it's a most insidious error. Only thing that seems to fix it is removing Racemenu which breaks my character's face and a bunch of other mods that rely on it, and it retroactively affects all other saves of that character. Editing presets with Notepad++ always seems to result in a preset that can't be loaded, but I'm wondering if there's something I should be looking for in presets to avoid this ever happening again.

Just now, lrk19 said:

Editing presets with Notepad++ always seems to result in a preset that can't be loaded

In that case you broke the formatting. After editing, copy-paste your new preset to a json validator online and (if you're using a decent one) it will show you what the problem is. Also keep in mind that RaceMenu may not contain a standards-compliant json parser. If this is the case you will have to determine what the supported formatting is yourself and the only hint I have for that is to make very small changes and testing each one separately.

You said in your other post (in another thread) that your issue is also visible in old saves now. That means your issue is not related to presets. RaceMenu presets are not loaded every time you load the game, only when you specifically load them in RaceMenu. Your issue is more likely to be related to mods that add overlays, and since (some) overlays are managed by RaceMenu, that is why the issue goes away when you disable RM.