TES5Edit renaming question

Ches

So there's a few mod items I've been renaming using TES5Edit just for the sake of keeping things better organized in-game. But I just noticed that if I uninstall the mod whose items I had renamed, then reinstall it, TES5Edit seems to forget that I ever renamed it in the first place. Say I had an item that was originally called 'Armor 1' and I renamed it to 'Armor 2' using TES5Edit. Uninstalling and reinstalling that mod would reset its name back to 'Armor 1' -- which makes all my work for naught if I ever uninstall anything I've renamed.

So why isn't TES5Edit saving my name edits permanently? Is there something else I need to do that I'm missing?

Well, thats a very bad question here.

When you uninstall a mod, you are basically deleting everything related to it from you Skyrim installation. So, if those .esp/.esm files were modified by you(and tes5edit), all the modifications will be lost.

If you modify an esp/esm you have to save it and install the modified esp/esm again when you are reinstalling, TES5Edit just edits the esp/esm directly it doesn't save it anywhere else, if you delete an esp/esm and reinstall it from the original source you have the orignal esp/esm not your modified.

Shoot... so is there any way at all to save my modified .esp and .esm files while I still have them installed, or am I completely out of luck? Ugh, I spent probably over five hours renaming so many mod items before realizing that they didn't retain those modifications permanently.

Make a backup copy of the modified one and overwrite the orginal one with the modified one when you reinstall a mod or make archive for your mod manager where you replace the original esp/esm with the modified one so the modified gets installed when reinstalled. When a mod gets updated you may have to reapply the changes and redo your modifications.

Alright, now here's perhaps the most idiotic question of them all.

Where would those modified .eps and .esm files even be stored? Where does NMM keep .esps and .esms that are currently in use?

[sarcasm]If you have a legal copy of Skyrim and use the default install location for steam and the game, it is in

x64

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Data\

x86

%ProgramFiles%\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Data\

[/sarcasm]

Archived