I Need help with my Script, guys.

Hello ppl.

I've been modding for a while but only recently got into scripting. As my first script I chose a custom holographic follower I made for someone. With what I read in Nexus tutorials and analyzing other scripts I thought I had a decent shot, but it won't even save. I'd appreciate a look from a veteran modder.

What I want from the script is simply to summon the hologram upon equipping a certain piece of armor, and dismiss it when I unequip the latter. To that end I wrote this:

ScriptName 00VKholosummon

Begin OnEquip PlayerRef

00VKAliciaHoloREF.enable
    00VKAliciaHoloREF.moveto playerRef
    00VKAliciaHoloREF.AddToFaction FollowerFaction 1
    00VKAliciaHoloREF.SetPlayerTeammate 1
    00VKAliciaHoloREF.SetFactionRank TeammateFaction 1
    00VKAliciaHoloREF.SetIgnoreFriendlyHits 1

End

Begin OnUnequip PlayerRef

00VKAliciaHoloREF.disable

End

I have tried both Player and PlayerRef, ScriptName and scn, all with no luck. So yeah, it's very simple, but I have to start somewhere. Any shared wisdom would be appreciated. I'm green as grass on this.

I'm loading the geck with NVSE and using the latest extended geck mod. Both features work well and I have been able to save simple scripts with no content. The holo reference has been succesfully created and placed in the game world too.

That’s probably the issue. I’m not sure what it looks like for Fallout. Are you using the Creation Kit? Is there even a CK for FO3? I assume so

edit: oic. GECK. Cute. 

Edited by jfraser

So, every item referenced in your script needs to point to something or the game will not know what you mean. You have your hologram in the game, but until you tell your script that the hologram exists and exactly where to find it, it won’t know what you’re talking about. Again, I am not familiar with fallout scripting, but there should be something called properties there somewhere where you can associate the name of the property with the actual hologram in the game. You will also need to define the player as a property, probably

I think the equivalent would be references, which if so, are actually already determined; the hologram has a formID that's different from its "reference", which I named myself when I placed it inside the interior cell. Unless I misunderstood, I read that as long as the reference exists, the game reads it just fine. I guess Skyrim scripts are fundamentally different then. In New Vegas they even get saved inside the esp, not dedicated files.